Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Trying to be a better interneter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2021, 01:17 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Trying to be a better interneter

Hey there RCC family-

I just wanted to post a thank you to all of users here that help provide good info and contribute to some really awesome discussions as well to the admin/moderator team who clean up after us.

I've been doing some personal reflection lately and I've realized that over the last while (1 year? 2 year? 5 years? Who knows.) I've started acting differently online than I would if you and I were sitting in a room together and that bothers me because I know I'm better than that.

I quite often make myself come off as a know-it-all, unwilling to listen, even snide, snobby or elitist. I have a bad habit off going off half-cocked without all the info as well.

I hope that if any users around who's opinion of me is based on those characteristics I'm able to show you all that that is not who I am or how I am.

I've really realized that Facebook (social media in general but FB is really my main outlet) has mentally destroyed me in a lot of ways and I'm over it. I've allowed that to happen and acknowledge that, but it's time for change.

It's turned me into a know-it-all asshole with almost zero tolerance for anything that isn't my idea of right. I spend way too much time thinking about other people that I've encountered online when I literally have NO IDEA who are they are in the real world and I speak to them in tones that I would NEVER speak to anyone with IRL. Time to get off FB, spend more time in the real world and only participate in quality online resources like this one.

I've got some great knowledge, skills and experience to share but I seem to have lost some of my ability to listen to others and accept that they might know better than me and I should embrace the opportunity to learn from them and grow myself instead. Having an attitude like really takes away from my ability to be legitimately helpful.

It's time to do better and be better.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Trying to be a better interneter

Hey Devils cheese ...I never have a problem with your... attitude here , in fact you are probably one of my favorite members . Always helpful in a relaxed way ,I really dig that! Keep it the way you do.

Last edited by themountain; 05-03-2021 at 02:21 AM.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:50 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

This would be because 'social media' isn't "social"...it's actually "antisocial". So-called 'social media' is actually teaching society to do the exact opposite of what it's called...instead of helping people become more social, it's actually training society to be antisocial. Allow me to provide two examples, which will prove my point:

1) About 10-15 years ago, while I was on disability, and without the use of a car, I had to use public transportation for any place I needed to go. One day, while sitting at the back of the bus, teenage girls got on, and walked to the back, twin sitting on the rearmost sideways-facing seats, office of each other.

At first, I didn't realize that these two were friends, and were together, as each was sitting there texting on their phones. However, every couple of minutes, they would look up at each other, and giggle, and then go back to looking at, and texting, on their phones. Obviously, they were having a 'conversation', except that it was entirely done without speaking. I have seen, essentially, exact same type of situation more times than I would ever care to remember. When I was a kid, we would talk with our friends in our mouths...something I still do to this very day.

2) During the same time period as the above example, one of my housemates was interested in one of his co-workers. He, and one of our other housemates, had gone to Music in the Park (a summertime weekly concert series, usually held every year in San Jose). While there, he happened to notice the very co-worker he was interested in, talking with some of her friends. He decided he had waited long enough to ask her out, plus, since this was away from work, he felt this was the perfect opportunity.

When he approached her, and started talking to her, she completely freaked out. Why? Simply because he hadn't texted her in advance, letting her know that he wanted to talk to her. In other words, she wasn't expecting his 'presence' at that exact moment in time, simply because he hadn't let her know in advance using some form of (so-called) "social media".

I could easily give countless other examples...of which I'm sure everyone who reads this could also give countless examples. The point is, to a certain extent, 'social media' is actually causing society to be less, NOT more, social...it is also being a way for certain individuals & groups for DESTROYING our country.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:12 PM   #4

Queso-
I have not been here long and when it comes to RC and crawlers I have a tendency to ask advice- and then proceed to screw up by ignoring it anyway....

But your post is admirable and one of the best things i have seen on the interwebs for years.
I wish a few hunred thousand (conservative number) more people would come to that same realization.

All of the character traits you describe are ones I share at times, but I always try hard to NOT take myself too seriously and remember that an any given moment I may be full of ... crap.
And just plain wrong.

And that kind of thing is usually easy to pick up on when dealing with people in person but does not translate as well in digital formats.

I commend you and hope that you can find a good balance and not have to completely give up on the snide, snarky side- becuase lets face it:
sometimes that stuff can be hilarious.
dugans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

^ ^ ^ ^ what themountain says ^ ^ ^ ^

I hate to say it but there are some members here I usually bypass when I see their name on a post but I always check out what you have to say. I feel your knowledge and advice is helpful to the newbies and some of us old dogs, as well. No "My way or the highway" attitude, just passing on info to someone to "take it or leave it". Can't be nicer than that. Not much more I can say, other than, glad to have you here on RCCrawler.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

It's written with double 't'
4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

If your apologizing for being a jerk on RCC, I'm sorry if I didn't notice. I must not be easily offended or something.

Now I'm always going to read your forum name as Devilscheese.

There is an "ignore" feature that will hide posts from selected posters. I have 3 members on that list, not even sure if two of them are still around. Not bad out of thousands of users.

Your not the only one who is concerned how they represent themselves on the web. In person I'm very sarcastic and lighthearted, but oftentimes in text that shows as stupidity or ignorance if misconstrued.

I think most of the members here are too "new" to remember the days where this was practically Pirate 4x4 for toy trucks where feelings were certainly not considered on any sides and newbs were roasted about every 3rd simple question. In some ways this place has gone soft, but I blame that mostly on all the cool things we can buy, whereas 15 years ago only those who could scratch build had cool toys.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #8

Given the sheer scale of the internet, there is so much to see, do and learn and yet most of us find ourselves going back to the same humdrum over and over again. In this post, I talk about how you can work on re-directing that passive, Facebook-consumed energy into something more productive. So turn off that Facebook window and consider these following recommendations to make the best of internet and feel productive. with resources like https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/food/ . Trust me, there is a lot more to the internet than narcissistic indulgences.

Last edited by Aleksks; 05-21-2021 at 06:44 AM.
Aleksks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 06:29 AM   #9
I joined the Band!

thanks a lot for replay! It's really useful for me. I likewise read with regards to this one paper composed by the phd research proposition composing administration that write my college essay - a serious voluminous and great work, in the event that you are intrigued, I can share. Everything turns out to be clear right away

Last edited by adamgreen; 12-28-2021 at 12:18 PM.
adamgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 05:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

friendly banter is just fine on rcc. do it somewhere else and you get kicked or banned from the place. i cant call my sunday funday rig my work B**** on FB without getting banned for 30 days. i couldnt call somebody by their rcc handle (WHITE-TRASH) with out getting a ban.

So, since the 4 consecutive banning sessions ive been through last year, i only comment on what i actually know about. i dont have any close friends around me that are into the same things as i am.

ive tried hosting a car meet last year for fiesta/focus st's but nobody was interested. they wanted to stare at other cars on FB. ive gone through all the groups i was in and narrowed it down to a select few that i kept. and once im done building my sporty, poof. ill be off FB. ill still keep my messenger to keep in contact with those i value to keep close in the rc community. every rc build after that will be a mystery to those who want to know.

im not a scale guy, so i dont really belong in here on this forum. im only here to check on classifieds, some tech in electronics, odd threads in chit chat, and the losi worm section. i may sound like im coming off a bit bitter... but the people in the rc scene is a joke.

Queso, dont beat yourself up too bad. some of the people you may have "offended" actually liked it. it is what it is.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:08 AM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

I can’t say I have noticed any attitude Queso. I have always found you likeable and knowledgeable. That said, I also get what you are saying. RCC is now the only place I input my thoughts on the web (excluding email). I too have started writing comments many times only to delete them before hitting enter.

The way I see it, and for what it’s worth, rcc is a site full of dudes with a common hobby. Yeah there are guys who seem to like to post when they are frustrated. We all have crappy days. I try to give those less than exemplary moments a pass and move on. Life is short and I am here for the joy, nothing more. One thing I have always idealized is that guys(unlike many women) are willing and able to let shit go.

Viva RCC!
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:24 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

i have the opposite problem im alot nicer on the internet than in real life atleast the internet theres a filter lol
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:33 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Hey there RCC family-

I just wanted to post a thank you to all of users here that help provide good info and contribute to some really awesome discussions as well to the admin/moderator team who clean up after us.

I've been doing some personal reflection lately and I've realized that over the last while (1 year? 2 year? 5 years? Who knows.) I've started acting differently online than I would if you and I were sitting in a room together and that bothers me because I know I'm better than that.

I quite often make myself come off as a know-it-all, unwilling to listen, even snide, snobby or elitist. I have a bad habit off going off half-cocked without all the info as well.

I hope that if any users around who's opinion of me is based on those characteristics I'm able to show you all that that is not who I am or how I am.

I've really realized that Facebook (social media in general but FB is really my main outlet) has mentally destroyed me in a lot of ways and I'm over it. I've allowed that to happen and acknowledge that, but it's time for change.

It's turned me into a know-it-all asshole with almost zero tolerance for anything that isn't my idea of right. I spend way too much time thinking about other people that I've encountered online when I literally have NO IDEA who are they are in the real world and I speak to them in tones that I would NEVER speak to anyone with IRL. Time to get off FB, spend more time in the real world and only participate in quality online resources like this one.

I've got some great knowledge, skills and experience to share but I seem to have lost some of my ability to listen to others and accept that they might know better than me and I should embrace the opportunity to learn from them and grow myself instead. Having an attitude like really takes away from my ability to be legitimately helpful.

It's time to do better and be better.
Of all things in life, I value honor and integrity the most. Unlike money those two things do not come and go, they last a lifetime. Greatest thing a person can have; it earns trust, confidence and respect. Good on ya, Queso.
suprachrgd82 is offline   Reply With Quote