Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Everyday Carry Pocket Knife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2021, 08:54 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Everyday Carry Pocket Knife

I picked up a little CRKT M16 series pocket knife at Lowes for $20 nearly a decade ago, because I didn't want to **** up my $200 Kershaw at work. I've had some version of the M16 series clipped in my work pants pocket ever since, because they're simple, light, decent quality, inexpensive, and I fear change.

I think it's time I get something different... maybe a little higher end quality.

What are you guys carrying on the daily?
Attached Images

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2021, 09:51 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Everyday Carry Pocket Knife

Over the years, and the many knives I've gathered, I've come to the conclusion that I like tanto blade knives! My all time favorite has to be the CRKT razel folder (chisel tip blade 3rd from bottom right.) Starting top left, S/W rescue knife, fruit knife, spiderco civilian, kabar. Left from too down: crkt kiss, Benchmade auto stryker, kabar green folder, crkt razel, cold steel voyager medium, large below.

I have a few more distributed throughout my vehicles/house and one i can't find for the life of me, that is my 2nd favorite.

The big ones are for camping, the rest are edc.
Attached Images

Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:54 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've been carrying a Milwaukee D2 steel 48-22-1994 for a few months. I like it and it's on sale for $50 right now. I just ordered the bigger version 48-22-1999 to try out, we shall see how it goes but I'd bet it'll be fine.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/48-22-19...pe=text&NCNI-5
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:55 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Over the years, and the many knives I've gathered, I've come to the conclusion that I like tanto blade knives! My all time favorite has to be the CRKT razel folder (chisel tip blade 3rd from bottom right.) Starting top left, S/W rescue knife, fruit knife, spiderco civilian, kabar. Left from too down: crkt kiss, Benchmade auto stryker, kabar green folder, crkt razel, cold steel voyager medium, large below.

I have a few more distributed throughout my vehicles/house and one i can't find for the life of me, that is my 2nd favorite.

The big ones are for camping, the rest are edc.
Nice! I find the tantos to be quickest/easiest to sharpen. I was about to order another large M16 with a tanto blade, but I thought I'd give something else a shot. How do you like the KISS knife? I was just looking at that one online before I posted. Looks like you'd forget it was even in your pocket.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:59 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I've been carrying a Milwaukee D2 steel 48-22-1994 for a few months. I like it and it's on sale for $50 right now. I just ordered the bigger version 48-22-1999 to try out, we shall see how it goes but I'd bet it'll be fine.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/48-22-19...pe=text&NCNI-5
Interesting. I'd never seen that knife before, and I'm a Milwaukee guy. I'm a carpenter for a commercial construction company, so if you open my truck or toolboxes, it's just a sea of red... haha.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:07 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
Interesting. I'd never seen that knife before, and I'm a Milwaukee guy. I'm a carpenter for a commercial construction company, so if you open my truck or toolboxes, it's just a sea of red... haha.
I have a pile of Milwaukee myself and I was less than impressed with their spring assist version but it's a cheap stainless blade and it was around $25 so I wasn't too disappointed at that price point

The D2 version are pretty solid and hold a decent edge.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:10 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I almost ordered that CRKT Razel knife, but I've given them enough of my business.

I think I'm leaning towards this one. Similar chisel/pry type blade that I'm sure would come in handy at work.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/MNT...ck-plain-blade
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2021, 04:26 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

This is my favorite EDC. Kershaw Tanto. The grip surface is amazing. Have a few of their knifes. I love their spring assist system. Just seems to work and is not over powered. I also love that they're not ridiculously priced. They hold an edge well and sharpen easily.

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1670T.../dp/B0009VCA1M
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:08 AM   #9

Benchmade griptillian s30v. I’ve been carrying it and my leatherman surge both for over a year and have no complaints. If I have to cut something a little yucky I use the leatherman so I don’t mess up my knife, only thing I’d say is the axis lock takes a minute to get used to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joshcbr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:12 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshcbr8 View Post
Benchmade griptillian s30v. I’ve been carrying it and my leatherman surge both for over a year and have no complaints. If I have to cut something a little yucky I use the leatherman so I don’t mess up my knife, only thing I’d say is the axis lock takes a minute to get used to

Yes, but once you get used to it, it’s the best.

I don’t consider myself much of a knife guy, but I carried a Benchmade mini barrage that I loved until I picked up the mini griptillian. No complaints with either of those. Looking to add a full size griptillian, a bugout, and anything else I like the looks of from them at some point.

I’ve had a half dozen crkt’s, but they didn’t seem to hold up, even to my minimal use.

The benchmade’s were the first knives I ever owned that had the pocket clip in the correct orientation. You can remove the knife from your pocket, open the blade, and cut as needed without having to do an awkward flip around maneuver.

I’ll most likely only buy benchmade from now on, but that’s because I too fear change, I’ve had great luck with my first two, and I can (and have) walked into their facility to see the production with my own eyes, as well as get them repaired or get them sharpened for free.
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:33 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

SOG Trident Tanto, the non-serrated variety. Been in my pocket... forever. I last posted it in a similar thread in 2010.

DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Great suggestions. You're all solidifying that I should stick with a tanto blade. I don't want serrations because I've never once taken the time to painstakingly sharpen them.

I was looking at the Benchmade bailout yesterday. I didn't like the ~$200 pricetag, but you get what you pay for, right?
https://www.benchmade.com/537gy.html

I can't find that SOG. It appears to be discontinued and out of stock everywhere.

The Kershaw Brawler is along the same lines as the one OnTheTrail posted, but without the serrations. Definitely a contender.
https://kershaw.kaiusa.com/brawler.html

So Far the Mantis is the only one that has the clip in the orientation that I'm used to. I read up on them a bit and apparently they've had some shady business practices and lots of negative feedback. Not sure if that's just bandwagon mentality or not. Anyone know anything about mantis knives?
Old 07-04-2021, 10:52 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Default Everyday Carry Pocket Knife

No input on mantis for me.

I usually shop sportsman’s warehouse in person, the bug out looks good to me and last time I checked was around $120.

I’m with you on straight blade, no serrations. I’ll have to see what is available for a tanto next time I got shopping.

twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:23 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I’ve been using this for nearly 20 years, used it when I was still working retail, but still carry it when I’m out and about, especially when I’m out with my crawlers.

BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:47 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The Kershaw Brawler is along the same lines as the one OnTheTrail posted, but without the serrations. Definitely a contender.
https://kershaw.kaiusa.com/brawler.html
I've got the Brawler too. Good knife as well. Little smaller/lighter then the original one I noted. I really like the "flipper" style assist but the grip texture is not as aggressive. No biggie for most uses though. Fwiw, if you get the Brawler, look around as that price direct from Kershaw is way over priced.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:02 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nice! I find the tantos to be quickest/easiest to sharpen. I was about to order another large M16 with a tanto blade, but I thought I'd give something else a shot. How do you like the KISS knife? I was just looking at that one online before I posted. Looks like you'd forget it was even in your pocket.
It's a nice knife don't get me wrong, but it was found not bought. I wouldn't have bought it. Its really sharp, easy to sharpen, light, can be used as a moneyclip, very small. Here is my two gripes: clip placed inconveniently, and its a line lock (I think) and I prefer spine locks.
My son wanted one so he has his own and loves it. Then again he's 12
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I EDC a Benchmade Mini Vallation. Also have an Ontario Rat 1 in D2. I carried a CRKC M16 Tanto full size for almos 10 years. The Vallation is a spring assist knife. great quality. Had an Adamas but, it was just too big for ECD. Sold it and bought the mini vallation.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Everyday Carry Pocket Knife - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pocket knife D19er Chit Chat 45 05-12-2013 05:24 PM
Does anyone here Open carry or have their concealed carry the_ocho Nevada 1 04-23-2012 10:30 PM
Everyday JK JKJim 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 12-12-2009 07:48 PM