Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Basher Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2021, 08:14 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Basher Questions

Hey guys. I'm in the market for a 1/5-1/7 scale toy. Im looking at a Kraton, felony, outcast, Mohave, x-maxx, UDR (if available), im open to other suggestions too.

But I'd like to know if people are putting BECs in 1/5 scale bathers?

Are x-maxx wheels interchangeable with kraton wheels?

Whats a good 1/5-1-7 scale servo?

A-main has this video of a 1/5 scale kraton build and I think I'd like that, but it might be cheaper to get an rtr for the rtr radio gear.

Im interested in arrma just cause I got to play with a 1/7 infraction.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2021, 08:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Basher Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post
Hey guys. I'm in the market for a 1/5-1/7 scale toy. Im looking at a Kraton, felony, outcast, Mohave, x-maxx, UDR (if available), im open to other suggestions too.

1) But I'd like to know if people are putting BECs in 1/5 scale bathers?

2) Are x-maxx wheels interchangeable with kraton wheels?

3) Whats a good 1/5-1-7 scale servo?

A-main has this video of a 1/5 scale kraton build and I think I'd like that, but it might be cheaper to get an rtr for the rtr radio gear.

Im interested in arrma just cause I got to play with a 1/7 infraction.
I'll start by answering your primary three questions:

1) This will primarily depends on what ESC you're using. Some ESCs have as very low-Voltage BEC, thus an external BEC is probably a good idea. Other ESCs have much higher-Voltage BECs (such as the Castle MMX-8S & XLX2), so an external BEC isn't needed. At the same time, depending on the servo you're running, whether or not you're running accessory lighting, and the Voltage requirements of said external lighting, it could be 'smart' to run an external BEC...even if the ESC's BEC is powerful enough. A perfect example would be if your servo can handle 7.4V (or above), but the LED lighting you've selected can only handle 6V. In this case, you'd run the ESC's BEC at 6V, connecting the lighting to the Rx. Then, you'd run an external BEC at 7.4V, and power your servo from the external BEC.
2) Yes & no. Due to the larger diameter of the stub axle on the Kraton, you can mount Kraton wheels on an X-MAXX, but not the other way around. On my X-MAXX, I've got one sweet of X-MAXX, and one set of Kraton (because my LHS only had one pair of the X-MAXX, and I didn't want to wait).
3) I'm not even using a 1/5 servo in my X-MAXX. I've got the 'standard' servo adapter, and I'm running the ProTek 370TBL (650oz-in & 0.13sec).

As for 'which' vehicles, think about what you want to do with it. The Kraton & X-MAXX are very similar, but the Felony & UDR are entirely different beasts (from the previous two, as well as from each other). Once you know 'how' you plan to use the vehicle, that should help you narrow down your choices. Truth-be-told, the Kraton & X-MAXX are both excellent choices. I've just finished building up an X-MAXX roller, while my next door neighbor has the Kraton. Check YouTube, and you will find numerous videos putting these two against each other. Lastly, just because you "played with an Infraction", don't immediately think Arrma is the better way to go. Arrma & Traxxas both have things that are better than the other. Of one thing you CAN be certain - Horizon Hobby (Arrma's parent company) & Traxxas, both, have excellent customer service & tech support. You'll be hard-pressed to find better.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:54 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The infraction, and the felony both seem suited for pavement, which is sort of a negative for me.

I'm leaning to either the 1/5 kraton, or the x-maxx, more the kraton cause the ESCs along with a 2028 I hope would work. I was in a chat with someone at amain when my wifi started acting up, so I couldn’t confirm with them before the chat closed, by the time I got back on the option for chat was closed for the day.

Last edited by Alexander_0_1; 07-07-2021 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:55 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'd also be happy with a udr, or Mohave. With an XLX2, and a 1717.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:39 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Don’t buy the udr unless your willing to dump another $500+ in upgrades to make it reliable.

I had one and ran it 4 times and kept breaking parts, I’ve since sold it in favor of a mojave exb and I’ve been happy ever since.

If I were you id get the arrma mojave (exb if your ok with spending more for electronics in favor of upgrades over regular), get a good motor/esc/servo and what ever brand of receiver you want (assuming you have a transmitter with model memory.

The mojave is just a more fun truck that you don’t have to worry about breaking it by looking at it wrong l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:57 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have both the Xmaxx and Kraton 8S (EXB version) which are a whole other level of everything compared to the UDR and Mojave. It is the kind of difference you need to see in person to truly understand because reading dimensions on a screen doesn’t do it justice.

The Xmaxx is very much a point and shoot type driving experience, turning is not really it’s strong suit. The K8S handles very much like a standard truggy, just a lot bigger. Both trucks are extremely fun but in different ways; the Xmaxx is great for wheelies and jumping while the K8S does blasting over any terrain like a champ. On the flip side, the Xmaxx is never going to handle great and the Kraton isn’t going to survive 20 ft jumps without some pricey mods.

As for the BEC question, most don’t run them because the popular ESCs for the giant trucks all have beefy enough built in BECs. The Xmaxx isn’t really too much of an issue because all the popular upgrades are standard sized servos. My Kraton runs a legit 1/5 scale servo and the HW Max5 pushes that no problem.

The downsides of both trucks are the stock electronics (surprise). The RTR Arrma 8S trucks are underpowered with the stock 4985 motors. The Xmaxx runs the same size motor but weighs about 5 lbs less so it feels about right. Going to a 56mm diameter motor of the same length is a huge upgrade but that is pushing the limits of the stock ESC. On the Xmaxx, the stock ESC holds the motor back, upgrading that really wakes the truck up. Also, the stock Xmaxx servo is very hit or miss on longevity but very much lacking in power.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:03 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the good input guys. I’ve got an 1/5 kraton EXB on its way to me along with a castle combo, I’m still looking into a 1/5 servo; found this flashy red hitec one that I like, kind of on the pricey side though, but would look good with all the red the EXB comes with.

I’m also looking into a transmitter too, but all my hobby shop had was DX5 pro 2021, and and DX5 rugged, DX5 smart, and a few rtr replacements from traxxas, and tactic
Old 07-09-2021, 06:25 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I have the Hitec D845WP in my EXB which is both great for the power and isn’t too bad on price. The downside is it requires cutting into the receiver box because the servo is massive.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote

Basher Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Wheely KIng basher build questions Natedog General Crawlers 6 08-09-2008 01:37 AM
wheely king basher questions CrawlerDan HPI Wheely King 5 02-04-2008 06:30 AM
Noob basher questions crawler nate 66 Newbie General 0 01-24-2008 05:00 PM
Basher electronics questions. RampageFSJ General Crawlers 8 03-23-2007 04:09 PM