Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: What to do with parts bins...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default What to do with parts bins...

After too many years in this hobby I have amassed three large bins of random RC parts. Not too long ago these parts were useful for custom builds. If a bracket or support was needed, I'd spend some time rummaging through them, finding something close to what I wanted, and likely doing some modification from there. Now that I can design and print my own parts, this massive collection of parts has not been touched in a while, and really is just taking up space. While there are some parts that are likely useful for future builds, bumpers and such, the bulk of these I really want to get rid of. So the question is, what to do with them? I hate to just throw them out, seems like a waste.

What would you do with them?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2021, 07:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What to do with parts bins...

Send them to me...

I don't have a 3d printer haha.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:07 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Lately I’ve been giving stuff I don’t need/want away when I sell rigs or other items lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:06 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Im always lookin for 'junkyard' parts. I dont have a 3d printer, so i modify parts as i need them for builds. Wat all u got? Could b a good deal in our future....
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:15 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Dump each one into a pile, so we can get an idea of what's in each bin, but who knows what might be buried underneath... Then auction them off Storage Wars style 1 by 1 to the highest bidder. Haha.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:19 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'd pick a day and go through all of it. I like to sort stuff and I bought a pack of different sized ziplock baggies for my very small collection of unused/spare parts.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:14 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have 30 years of parts bins... I hate to throw anything out. I'm in the same boat, I need to do a mass cleaning at some point, I'm just flat out of room. Some parts I could most likely sell - chassis bits and hop ups left over from my Kyosho super 10 for example though most of it I'll most likely dump in the recycle bin. This is about 1/2 of my bins.

OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:18 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I'm in the same position with a couple large storage containers filled with nitro stuff... t-maxx and rc10gt parts mainly... engines, chassis', tires, wheels, servos, hardware, etc... factory sealed as well as a lot of after-market alum. And a couple rigs that are just about 100% ready to go... just needing pull-starters, some fuel, and rx packs. If I'm to be honest with myself, I know I'm not going to get back into nitro but it really pains me to literally just throw all this stuff into the trash.

( For me) the best scenario would be to see this stuff go to kids that don't have the money but that have the interest/ desire to build/ mod nitro rigs. But I'm not on face-book or any other social media platforms that it would take to get the offer out there. RCO is about it.

But like others have suggested... go through and group parts, take some pics and post up on whatever social media or selling platform: "Free to good home.. Just pay shipping". Aside from that, yeah... I'm afraid that simply throwing the stuff away would be the way to go just to save some headaches and restore some storage space asap. But if you're like me, that's really hard to do.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

When I started to get out of the hobby. I took all my unwanted stuff to my local hobby store and asked the kids behind the counter if they want it. Mine had old crystal transmitters to misc crawler to slash wheels and everything in between. They took it.
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Keep the spare left over parts. You never know when you'll need something and maybe one day the 3d printer might crap out amd then you might regret throwing thoses parts away. Guess if your really wanting to get get of the left over parts find some local guy and someone would want them.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I dumped all of the parts into two 5-gallon buckets, they filled up one and half of the other. Rummaging through them as they were being dumped, there are a lot of good parts there, but not much I can see using in the near future. In the mix there are a couple of SCX10 chassis, E-Maxx, Rustler, and 4WD 'Pede chassis. So, I am going to see if anyone local wants them, might toss them up on Craig's and FB for $75 or so, see if I get any bights. Things that are not in the these spares are electronics or gears.

And no, I am not getting rid of all of my spare parts, some I am holing back because I can see definitive use for them in the future.

Many thanks to those that PM'ed me about the parts. I really do not want to go through the hassle of trying to box them up and send them out; I am fairly sure the shipping would cost more than the parts are worth.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I ended up selling the whole mess for $40. I could have gotten more, especially if I could have broken the parts up by manufacturer. The guy that bought the parts is a disabled vet, so I didn't mind not selling them for as much as I could have.

I was pleased with the response I got after listing them on FBM, but some of their questions got annoying. Two things I thought I had made clear was that it was a parts lot, and selling it as a parts lot; and second, I made it clear that the ad was local only. I got questions about specific parts and if I would ship them.

But, I am happy to have them gone, in the hands of someone that will used them and not dumped in the trash.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:24 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I ended up selling the whole mess for $40. I could have gotten more, especially if I could have broken the parts up by manufacturer. The guy that bought the parts is a disabled vet, so I didn't mind not selling them for as much as I could have.

I was pleased with the response I got after listing them on FBM, but some of their questions got annoying. Two things I thought I had made clear was that it was a parts lot, and selling it as a parts lot; and second, I made it clear that the ad was local only. I got questions about specific parts and if I would ship them.

But, I am happy to have them gone, in the hands of someone that will used them and not dumped in the trash.
Sounds perfect to me. Yeah it's always nice to make decent money selling off stuff but in this case I look at it as freeing up space while somebody else can put the parts to use or they can do what people have suggested to you. Less time for you to deal with parting it all out all while you freed up space and the cherry on top is you made money off of it.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote

What to do with parts bins... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
parts boxes/bins braceysdad Tools, and Procedures 6 06-18-2006 04:04 PM