Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Honda Forman Stripped Drain Bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2022, 08:03 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Honda Forman Stripped Drain Bolt

This weekend I was changing the fluids in one of my ATVs (2015 Honda 500) when I hit a problem.... The bolt hole for the front differential drain is stripped. I can get it to not leak with just hand tightening the bolt in (no ratchet, just turning the socket and extension by hand), but I can't torque it at all; it is supposed to be torqued to 9ft-lbs.

Any one have any experience on how to fix something like this? The diff housing is aluminum.

My first idea is to use a bottoming tap one size larger. I believe it is an 8mm bolt, so use a 9mm tap.

I have also seen compression plugs, but I don't know if they make them this small, how good of an idea it would be, or how well they work.

This is what I hate about doing my own maintenance, there are always problems... The last (and only) time the diff was serviced was by the Honda shop, so I am fairly sure they are the ones that over torqued it. Given that they did this five years ago, I am fairly sure that the guy who did it likely does not work there anymore (turnover is high for these places), and they will not do anything about it, other than take my money for a fix.

Thank you very much for your inputs.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2022, 08:40 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Honda Forman Stripped Drain Bolt

i like the exspanding plug idea simple and easy mcmastercarstuffpeople sell plugs down to 3/16th

https://www.mcmaster.com/expansion-p...1348981486769/

ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:38 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I don't know what accessability is like on your particular model, but if you can get straight at it with a drill (I'd assume you could being that it's the drain) a Timesert would be my first choice for a repair on that. The kits are a little spendy, but MUCH cheaper and easier than pulling the case for repair/replacement.

There might also be the option of finding an oversized drain plug depending on what size you have. They're just a little bigger, but not the next size up, self tapping bolt. If you grease the threads the first time you install it, any chips will stick to the grease so you won't have to fish it out of the case... though I think the diffs on 4x4's are usually pretty small, like m8x1.25, and I haven't come across an oversized one for that.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:52 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Most any auto parts store will sell oversized self-tapping drain plugs specifically for this issue. Just take the old plug with you.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

these days unless you do your own maintinanceits its likly someone will strip out the new plug too atleast the rubber plug wont do anyfurther damage if some duffass overt tightens it
Old 05-15-2022, 09:47 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

This is a common problem on several motorcycles. The generally accepted order to repairs is as follows, each method more substantial than the previous.
1) re-tap the threads to the next size up in Standard (not metric) threads
2) use an oversize tapping drain plug available at most auto part stores
3) use a Time-Sert

The method to prevent stripped plugs is to replace the plug gasket with every fluid change and hand tighten to prescribed torque specs.
suprachrgd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:29 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

In the last week I have done a lot of research on this. For every method of fixing this problem, I found three ways that it can be screwed up and could make the situation worse. I called the shop at the Honda dealer, and was told that it would cost an hours worth of labor to evaluate the fix, and most likely two to three hours of labor to fix it, all at a low price of $132 an hour...

I decided to take it in this afternoon, have them look at it and recommend a fix, knowing it would likely cost me an hour's worth of labor. Going in I was expecting to get the lecture about proper torqueing, a how to avoid stripping out bolt holes; my hope is that I would not loose my shit too badly if this happened. I walked in, met the service manager, we looked at the quad, walked back in and he started typing on his computer. He confirmed that all of the fluids changed a couple of years ago, and he asked if the diffs had been serviced sense, and I said no. He nodded his head, typed some more, confirming my address and phone number. Then he said, "Ok, we'll take care of it, most likely we're the ones that stripped it out."

I damn near fell over...

I was willing to pay for something on this, and offered to pay for the fluids. He said nope, they'd take care of the whole thing. And he thanked me for giving them a chance to make it right...

Of course, they haven't done the work yet, but not looking at a $300+ repair bill makes me very hopeful.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:44 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

awsome
Old 05-17-2022, 10:05 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Glad to hear they’re taking care of it.
I’ve been a tech for chevy the last 11 years and I’ve replaced a lot of oil pans from our very oil “lube techs” going all hulk on the drain plugs. I’ve even replaced pans on high mileage cars because someone didn’t note it if we’d never touched the car before and the plug was chewed up and let the car roll. Either the next guy or the owner who’s doing the oil change finds the plug chowdered and since we were the last ones to touch it.. we’re responsible.

My guess is, if you’ve had your work done there, the cost to them is worth keeping you as a customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:50 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I picked the machine up yesterday afternoon, which was a lot faster of a turnaround then what I expected. They ended up putting a steel insert in, which is their standard fix. The quad is in the garage with pigmat under the diff, as of this morning, no leaks. While I am still thrilled that the drain bolt was stripped in the first place, I couldn't be happier with the fix.

The Honda shop quickly fixing this issue gratis almost makes me feel bad about getting ready to trade these two machines in on a CanAm Commander.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:56 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Sounds like they went straight to installing a TimeSert. It is advisable to drain the oil at least once prior to running to flush any residual metal shavings that may have been left behind.
suprachrgd82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Honda Forman Stripped Drain Bolt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
freaking ass bolt stripped!! jon1197 Newbie General 10 05-02-2010 11:54 AM
what do you do to drain your nicads? zach Electronics 9 02-21-2009 08:51 PM
help w/ parasitic drain???? 1.1 ? murdock Chit Chat 13 09-18-2006 02:58 PM
Money Down the drain? Dontstall_Rockcrawl General Crawlers 12 05-13-2006 08:17 AM