Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Lets take a drive...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2022, 06:44 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Lets take a drive...

Ive been wantin to get a vid of a few stretches of roads where i live n some pics of some of the jobsites we go to. Theres some really beautiful place across our great country n even across the pond. Thought we could share the sites through our eyes.

Heres a vid i just got this morning. On my way to get a load of cement in Ragland Al. This is on 431 N, about a 3 mile stretch just south of I20, Cheaha Scenic Route

https://youtu.be/6GiaY-bXulk

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2022, 06:54 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Lets take a drive...

Here National Cement in Ragland

Old 11-10-2022, 07:58 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'm a Tennessean through and through, and I love hitting less-traveled roads around here. Even still, though, the sections of Alabama that I've been to are beautiful. I'm a sucker for a quiet town, and there's a stretch of highway through Wetumpka, Sylacaugh, and Talladega that I love. I can't point to anything specific, because it's more of a reminder of what my town used to be like. Where I live has been allowed to explode in growth beyond what the infrastructure can handle. There are still those sleepy roads around here; they just aren't what they used to be. We've lost the quiet town aspect, so any time I hit that stretch through Alabama I want to head off and see what's out there.

This trip was a bit off the beaten path out toward a very, very small town about 90 minutes from home.

This was a great idea for a thread.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:25 AM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Heres a vid i just got this morning. On my way to get a load of cement in Ragland Al. This is on 431 N, about a 3 mile stretch just south of I20, Cheaha Scenic Route

Nice scenic route! I got the sense that that the stretch of road had a downhill grade, or maybe it was just my eyes.

I've never actually taken vid of me driving before. Nothing to exciting to record here where I'm at in Ohio, but next time I'm down in the West Virginia for my wife's family reunion, I'll have to get some footage of the beautiful terrain down there.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:48 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
I'm a Tennessean through and through, and I love hitting less-traveled roads around here. Even still, though, the sections of Alabama that I've been to are beautiful. I'm a sucker for a quiet town, and there's a stretch of highway through Wetumpka, Sylacaugh, and Talladega that I love. I can't point to anything specific, because it's more of a reminder of what my town used to be like. Where I live has been allowed to explode in growth beyond what the infrastructure can handle. There are still those sleepy roads around here; they just aren't what they used to be. We've lost the quiet town aspect, so any time I hit that stretch through Alabama I want to head off and see what's out there.

This trip was a bit off the beaten path out toward a very, very small town about 90 minutes from home.

This was a great idea for a thread.

Sylacauga is about 45 min from where i live in Lineville, n dega is about 30 min. Its beautiful here! Lineville n ashland are small towns. We just had heritage day n a car show last weekend, its a blast. Well worth chrckin out. Fitst weekend in Nov, heritage day n swap meet on sat, car show on sun.

Thought it would make for a fun n interesting thread

Thanks brian! WV has alot of purdy scenery too
Old 11-10-2022, 12:14 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Very enjoyable route, Indy. I also like you're driving style... steady and safe. Cool thread idea too.

Also nice to see DirtMerchant's contribution. I've always had good travels through Alabama as well as Tennessee. Some very scenic areas in both states. ( South-East Ohio too, Brian... You really have no excuse lol).

I've done a good deal of traveling... many times on roads less traveled as I've always appreciated the unbeaten path.

I guess the one I'll share here will be from a trip I took a while back to Big Bend out in west Texas. To get there, I had two choices... Interstate 10, obviously the heavily traveled route that runs from one end of the country to the other. Or SH-90 which runs down close to the border and along the Rio Grande in some stretches... a much less congested, slower, and more scenic route.

And US-90 hits some pretty cool little towns along the way including some ghost towns scattered throughout... Dryden, Sanderson, and Langtry ( Home of Judge Roy Bean), and the beautiful Amistad Reservoir.

It was a no-brainer for me. I hate interstate traffic, toll-roads, and all that mess so after coming from east Texas on I-10 ( as far as I was forced to lol), I decided to hit US-90 after San Antonio for the last few hours of the trip. Took me a couple hours longer but hey.. no schedule to keep so why the hell not!

Anyway... Few pics of my little detour heading to Marathon/ Big Bend:

And even met these guys along the way lol-

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 01:37 PM   #7

There's a stretch of road that starts just a half mile north of my house that is absolutely amazing. Very twisty and a ton of fun to drive on. We frequently see exotic car clubs go by the house and then turn up on to that road, and it's amazing to hear them as they accelerate through the turns. I couldn't find a video that really highlights this route, but I did find a video of somebody driving it (in the opposite direction) in the winter. They drive past my house at around the 6 minute mark. I'll keep looking to see if there's any video that shows how great this stretch of road is from a performance car perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76-qNJ8AF-A
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 02:34 PM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

Nice, cool to see some Alabama countryside. Can't say I have ever been that way. Driven around Florida some , but have always flown in and rented or borrowed the wheels.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:56 PM   #9
RCC Addict

HPD, texas is beautiful country. Ive been to laredo n hildago. Im with u on takin the unbeatin path, love the scenery. Its like on the movie cars, people are in a hurry n missin whats more important. Its sad to see small towns n small business die off because nobody takes the time to go somewhere. Always in a hurry.

Ive been up to PA as well, its purdy that way too.

Oh brian, i was goin downhill in that vid. Ill get another one goin S, which is uphill. Theres some purdy spots comin back that way too. Theres a creek on the west side of the road (left side in that vid) thats beautiful when it snows n freezes over, or we get a good rain n it turns to white water rapids
Old 11-11-2022, 06:18 AM   #10
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
( South-East Ohio too, Brian... You really have no excuse lol).

You're right drifter! South-east Ohio in the foothills of the Appalachians down around I-77 and down to Marietta, Ohio is beautiful.

Also down around the Hocking Hills area near Logan, Ohio. Just spent the weekend down there in August. That area reminds me of WV.

I'll have to post of pics when I get a chance. I might even have a short video clip I can post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Oh brian, i was goin downhill in that vid. Ill get another one goin S, which is uphill. Theres some purdy spots comin back that way too. Theres a creek on the west side of the road (left side in that vid) thats beautiful when it snows n freezes over, or we get a good rain n it turns to white water rapids
Nice! I thought so. I wondered how sketchy it would be driving a big rig down that hill when it freezes!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:45 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
You're right drifter! South-east Ohio in the foothills of the Appalachians down around I-77 and down to Marietta, Ohio is beautiful.

Also down around the Hocking Hills area near Logan, Ohio. Just spent the weekend down there in August. That area reminds me of WV.

I'll have to post of pics when I get a chance. I might even have a short video clip I can post.

Nice! I thought so. I wondered how sketchy it would be driving a big rig down that hill when it freezes!
Its really not that steep. Where i started the vid all the way to the first curve with a gaurd rail, i run 60-65 if theres no idiots in front of me. I drop a gear before the first gaurd rail curve n never touch the brake pedal, just let the jakes do thier work. I hit the curves about 45-50, the last curve where it straightens back out, grab 10th n hammer on her til i get to I20. I love drivin, its the idiots out there that take the fun out of it.

This is my baby, a 21 freightliner cornado, dd15 500 horse, 10 spd eaton fuller. She had 2800 mi when we got her, we're sittin at a lil over 40k now. The floor has a lil dirt in it now, but the everything else is just as clean on the inside

Old 11-18-2022, 02:59 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Heres another veiw of cheaha scenic route. Im headed back south, uphill this time

https://youtu.be/H7_E56UE-QU

Lets take a drive... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX10 MIP C Drive dig drive shafts in stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 12-03-2009 10:50 PM
***MIP C-Drive Drive shaft for the AX10...GIVEAWAY*** Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 153 07-01-2008 11:18 AM