Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Just Traxxas things

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2023, 07:28 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Just Traxxas things

I have been pulling the thread on this a bit more. Again, Tony's video is a terrible introduction into this issue, and take over 20 minutes of rambling before any real substantive content is given. With that, there are a bunch of vendors that were shut down, so it looks like Traxxas went after a bunch of little guys selling aftermarket parts for the TRX-4M. These small vendors, in themselves, cannot afford to battle Traxxas and their army of lawyers. But, these guys could file a class action suite against Traxxas for harassement and unfair business practices.

The root issue here is Traxxas apparent business plan for the 4M, it seem like their plan was to make their money off of it by selling upgrade parts and premium prices. These mom-and-pops can produce better parts and a lot cheaper prices, and that really threatened Traxxas' profitability of this particular model; which is why they haven't gone after the same type of parts for their other models. It doesn't really look like there is any real case here for Traxxas, more or less they threatened the site providers and they shut down those sites, with the providers not wanting to spend money on any kind of litigious action.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2023, 07:53 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

As individuals all we can do is vote with our wallets. Luckily for us, that's literally the only kind of voting that makes a meaningful difference in this world.

If you feel like Traxxas is justified, continue to buy their products. If you feel like they're hurting the hobby and small businesses, spend your money elsewhere.

Now get out there and vote.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:59 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Traxxas notified the service providers first instead of notifying the vendor directly, the people using Shopify were given ample time to make adjustments, so that's not necessarily Traxxas fault. The issue with CCxRC being taken down overnight was because Wix never notified him and he had no time to adjust it, they just took him down after a period of time. I'm not going to defend Traxxas being ridiculous here, but this part isn't necessarily on them. As for not notifying the vendor themselves directly, they probably figured going through the hosting services would get a faster, more direct response since they have policies about the content they host, a sleezy tactic but one that got a response.

The other downside to this is that vendors like Shopify have a strike system and this means this absurd claim by Traxxas is going to be a mark on them that could be a problem later, they seem to be given Traxxas the benefit of the doubt instead of looking into the matter, but it is what it is.

As for Traxxas vs Arrma, unless I missed something, I actually felt that was somewhat reasonable. Looking at it closely, it was nearly identical suspension design, and they haven't gone after other vendors for trying to use similar cantilever or laydown shock designs. They are absurd trolls for going after HBO or anyone using "Max" anywhere, they are absolutely ridiculous with this wording issue, but the Arrma thing seemed legit to me anyway.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 09:29 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

I feel silly for not thinking of this until I saw it mentioned elsewhere, but something else we have power to do as consumers is contact them directly. Send a RESPECTFUL email to support@traxxas.com and let them know what you think about their business practices. If you're going to shop elsewhere, let them know why. If there's something they could do to win you back, let them know about that too.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:16 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
As for Traxxas vs Arrma, unless I missed something, I actually felt that was somewhat reasonable. Looking at it closely, it was nearly identical suspension design, and they haven't gone after other vendors for trying to use similar cantilever or laydown shock designs.
They actually did. I think they went after the Vaterra Twin Hammers, but I don't remember how it was resolved.

Last edited by soze; 04-07-2023 at 01:23 PM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:54 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
I feel silly for not thinking of this until I saw it mentioned elsewhere, but something else we have power to do as consumers is contact them directly. Send a RESPECTFUL email to support@traxxas.com and let them know what you think about their business practices. If you're going to shop elsewhere, let them know why. If there's something they could do to win you back, let them know about that too.
Good idea, I sent them the below email earlier today:

Dear Traxxas Team,

I write to you as an owner of several Traxxas RC vehicles with regard to the matter in reference. While it's perfectly fine for your firm to protects its intellectual property, including valuable trademarks, I would urge you to find a way to do so without squashing the small "mom and pop" operations that make aftermarket parts for your vehicles. Rather than simply blasting out cease and desist letters, why not first explain the issue to the interested parties and guide them towards acceptable practices before threatening to sue them out of existence. It is generally believed that active aftermarket and upgrade support makes a vehicle platform that much more appealing, so it would seem that it is in Traxxas interest to encourage small manufacturers to create new and exciting products that enhance your products.

Sincerely,
James A.
Miami Beach, FL
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 02:24 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
Good idea, I sent them the below email earlier today:

Dear Traxxas Team,

I write to you as an owner of several Traxxas RC vehicles with regard to the matter in reference. While it's perfectly fine for your firm to protects its intellectual property, including valuable trademarks, I would urge you to find a way to do so without squashing the small "mom and pop" operations that make aftermarket parts for your vehicles. Rather than simply blasting out cease and desist letters, why not first explain the issue to the interested parties and guide them towards acceptable practices before threatening to sue them out of existence. It is generally believed that active aftermarket and upgrade support makes a vehicle platform that much more appealing, so it would seem that it is in Traxxas interest to encourage small manufacturers to create new and exciting products that enhance your products.

Sincerely,
James A.
Miami Beach, FL
Did you receive a reply? I also emailed and as I figured Traxxas did not have the decency to respond. Pretty much tells me what they think of their customers.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 07:47 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

I emailed as well. No reply, but I didn't ask for one.

I let them know I would come back as a customer if they made a public effort to restore goodwill with the RC community. I don't even know what that would look like and I don't have any expectation that they would try, but that's what it would take for me to feel OK about supporting them again. They'll do fine without me, and there's plenty of good brands out there I can buy from.

Last edited by TooOldForThis; 04-11-2023 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-12-2023, 01:26 PM   #29
RCC Addict

I did not know about the HBO Max "infringement" lawsuit. Good grief. This is almost as bad. I saw one company say they were no longer going to refer to it as a UDR, but as a TURD.

I have 3 Mini E Revos at home but aside from that, I have no Traxxas stuff. I liked my TRX-4s but they are long gone. Guess if I get the itch for a 1/18 for me and my son, it will be the Capra.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:47 PM   #30
RCC Addict

The sad part about the HBO MAX thing, is that HBO MAX was a thing long before the Traxxas MAXX, just sayin. Seems the went after HBO for the MAX name n theirs is spelled with 2 X's. Even at that, t-maxx, e-maxx, x-maxx... Theyre all 2 X's. ��*♂️ Some of it is just petty crap imo
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:57 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
The sad part about the HBO MAX thing, is that HBO MAX was a thing long before the Traxxas MAXX, just sayin. Seems the went after HBO for the MAX name n theirs is spelled with 2 X's. Even at that, t-maxx, e-maxx, x-maxx... Theyre all 2 X's. ��*♂️ Some of it is just petty crap imo
HBO Max is changing to Max. Wonder how much of that is just an fu to Traxxas for trying to copyright a word.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:49 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
HBO Max is changing to Max. Wonder how much of that is just an fu to Traxxas for trying to copyright a word.
Traxxas gets the FU everytime they try to legally pursue it. Went after Kia/Hyundia for "Telluride". Got slapped around for it too.

Been waiting for them to piss someone off in 1:1 Rally Racing. Cause Traxxas will end up backrupt over trying to copyright the word "rally".

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote