Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: carpet racers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default carpet racers?

Are there any carpet mun... I mean racers here? I am helping a local guy start an after school R/C club for noobs so we ordered 12 sportwerks recoils and 8 r/c 18t's to get there feet wet. I also am picking one of these cars up along with a BL system and maybe lipo I have a question for the racers though, what 1/10th scale TC would you recomend for a first time carpet racer ( for me) I have raced off road only. I don't want a $600 car or anything so I have been looking at the XRay T2r for $199 or something comparable. I have electronics obviously so I don't want any RTR's.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #2

In my opinion go with the Hot Bodies Cyclone it comes from the factory with swaybars, oneways front and center, and is far more capable of a carpet racer.

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...0&showbig=6809

There is a link to stormer hobbies, and here are some pics of my ride.

HVFracingwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

TC4 has great parts support. Price is really good right now with the TC5 coming out.

Are you looking for new or used. With all the new cars coming out due to summer there are a lot of good used cars for sale.

T2R is a good choice if you have local parts support. Great car to be able to upgrade if wanted.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

dont forget about the xxx-s, its a good rtr for beginners.
ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhmaxx
dont forget about the xxx-s, its a good rtr for beginners.
You can get the RTR w/brushless too.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Hands down first carpet car is a XXX-S or TC4/TC3...Trust me the X-Ray is nice but not near as tough... I love my TC4, I say stay away from the Factory Team..I bought the Team Edition specifically for the reason being I don't like the "double decker" style chassis, they get thrown out of tweak easy and drives like crap..stay with the tub style for now and when you really want to get in to the fancy cars try an X Ray.
SIRMAXXALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

You need to run mini coopers there cheap and fun as he11
whalebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I want something that will be competitive if I like racing carpet, since I will be able to practice everyday and not have to pay I think the XXX-S looks like the way I should go lots of parts around here and seems to be a tough car from what I hear.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I just picked up a TC3 for tearing up the loacl carpet track. Great ride, in the right hands it is still a very competitive car. There are a ton of guys up here running Corallys and the Xrays. I would suggest getting something that is common at the track to get help setting up the car or comparing set ups with. I know a couple of guys had the T2R and after getting better upgraded it to be a full bore T2, that is just another way.

You road racing or oval?
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:16 AM   #10
RCC Addict

X-ray, period
TC3's have MAD torque steer.
XXX-s, hates front caster blocks. (eats them for lunch)
Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
RCC Addict

the xray is a good choice, and another good choice would be a tamiya car.

for some reason us here in the US seem to forget that tamiya makes really killer TC's. if you go tamiya, i would either suggest a TB-02r (shaft drive) or a TA-05 (beltdrive) and for a really affordable, fairly competative car i might also suggest the TT-01R as well.

just remember, though, that the race car is only as good as the driver....

oh yeah, XXX-s are good cars, but don't expect to change the belt too fast. there is a lot of tear down involved in getting to that....

Last edited by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER; 03-22-2007 at 10:24 AM.
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I think I am a good off road driver but carpet will be totaly new to me, I have a pretty good understanding of setup but I know carpet is WAY different. I am really leaning toward the T2R, Tamiya cars are sick but NONE of the LHS's carry the parts for them. I have seen a few cars on the shelves but no parts support. I don't want a dead on the bench car waiting for parts in the mail. The Xray cars are supported here pretty good, ( common breaking parts) so I think they are the one.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Get a TA05. I've raced a TA04, TA05, XXX-S Graphite, HPI Sprint and a few others and the TA05 is the best all around car. Bone stock it will give the expensive car owners fits. Once you pile on the hop ups then you can imagine what you can accomplish. Just my 2 cents.
minijosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx
I think I am a good off road driver but carpet will be totaly new to me, I have a pretty good understanding of setup but I know carpet is WAY different. I am really leaning toward the T2R, Tamiya cars are sick but NONE of the LHS's carry the parts for them. I have seen a few cars on the shelves but no parts support. I don't want a dead on the bench car waiting for parts in the mail. The Xray cars are supported here pretty good, ( common breaking parts) so I think they are the one.

good thinking, see what is popular locally, and what is available for parts support locally.

also, indoor carpet racing compared to outdoor off road, expect a lot of tight races, especially if it is on a smaller track. i know my local carpet track normally fields about 15-25 TC's per week racing here (we only run 19T class here because that's what everyone likes) and when you put 10 cars on th track at once, it can get hairy!!!

also, check with whatever track you are running at what traction compunds they do and don't allow. some tracks are picky about that because certain "sauces" (jack the gripper is guilty of doing this...) will deteriorate the carpet faster than others, and a lot of places just don't have the budget to replace ozite every season....
Old 03-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER
good thinking, see what is popular locally, and what is available for parts support locally.

also, indoor carpet racing compared to outdoor off road, expect a lot of tight races, especially if it is on a smaller track. i know my local carpet track normally fields about 15-25 TC's per week racing here (we only run 19T class here because that's what everyone likes) and when you put 10 cars on th track at once, it can get hairy!!!

also, check with whatever track you are running at what traction compunds they do and don't allow. some tracks are picky about that because certain "sauces" (jack the gripper is guilty of doing this...) will deteriorate the carpet faster than others, and a lot of places just don't have the budget to replace ozite every season....

I will be running the track so whatever I pick for tire "jizz" is what we will use. The local Hobbytown ONLY allows jack the gripper??? Is there a choice of champions, and I heard it is bad to mix compounds on the same track T or F?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #16
RCC Addict

well, my track only wants calandra (CRC) because that is the manufacturer of the carpet. and i am sure it is bad to mix compounds, but before you determine what kind of sauce to pretty much make the track standard, find out from the carpet manufacturer what they recomend....
Old 03-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I like Paragon for "saucing" but it does stink.
SIRMAXXALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I love jack the gripper its good stuff and also stinks pretty bad
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #19
RCC Addict

i think most tire sauce stinks to high heaven!!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

We are only allowed to run rubber tires with no compound at all. All you can do it use a baby wipe to clean off your tires. We don't have a permant track to race at so we have to pick up the carpet and put it down every week. Imagine doing that with sause on the carpet.
minijosh is offline   Reply With Quote