Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: problem with my new savage 4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default problem with my new savage 4.6

so, i finished building this thing up and was so excited to take it out. after my body finished drying and i trimmed it, i threw it on and took the bad boy outside.

it started up fine (i'm using another .28 motor i already had, no break-in), but i noticed it drove a little funny. lots of understeer.

then i noticed that the front tires were ballooning. i installed a rear diff-lock while i was putting together the kit. so that sorta made sence.

i think these things have a center diff, but i'm not sure.

anyway, i wanted to keep driving just to finish off the tank before i stripped it apart to lock the center diff. but as i was driving WOT accross my lawn, all 4 tires stop dead and the truck does a front-flip. i blip the throttle a few times to keep the motor alive, but the tires aren't turning.

now i have to push really hard to move the wheels, and it makes this god-awful grinding noise in the gearbox.

i'm soooooo pissed. i built this thing perfect, and it won't even drive for 5 mins!

anyone have any ideas?
Vitamin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I have had this happen to my savage before it is the little allen head screw that you adjust to set the shift point it backs out then gets lodged in the case and stops the truck dead.If you are lucky it didnt do much damage it happened 2 times to me then i said to hell with it and used red loctite on it and it never moved.I used blue loctite on it and it didnt work so my guess is that is what happened let me know what you find out.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i'll check that, but i think there's more to it. the rear tires spin freely and don't turn the drive-shaft. i think i stripped the hell out of the ring gear. i'm gonna take it over to the LHS and see what they have to say, that's what they're there for right?

besides, it's a Savage, so they won't give me any lip ;)
Old 03-18-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

the savage doesnt have a center diff. but yeah the set screw in the tranny can back out.
i have seen that some people that lock up the rear diff have problems, so i never locked mine. just fill it with a heavy diff fluid like 10,000 wt. or somthing.
just in case you havent heard of savage central ,here it is http://savage-central.com/gate.html?name=Forums
all the info youll ever need on the savage.
the tires ballon up from the power and the taller side walls(although small by crawling tires ,lol)
a fix for that is eaither different tires or you could get stiff tire foams and line the inside of the tire with duct-tape.
as for understeer what servo did you use in it. might ned to be stronger. and im sure that the locked rear diff doesnt help steering too much. but i wish it didnt matter casue i want to lock my rear diff on my savage, its cooler to slide around the turns, but all well.
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i think the ballooning is because all the power is going to the front wheels. the rear tires are the same kind and they don't balloon.

it's FWD right now, that's why it understeers.

i took it to the LHS and he said that maybe the set screw in the rear dogbone cup might have come out, so the driveshaft is just spinning freely.

i'm gonna take out the tranny and rear diff, and take a closer look.