Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Road Trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Road Trip

Ok, my dad and i got back from our 1100 mile road trip to Idaho. I had a great time. Ok, here is what we did. First we left at about 7:00pm on Wednesday and drove for 4 hours through Reno to the middle of Nevada, at Winemucca. We got there about 10:45pm and actually got to sleep at about 11:30pm, but before that, my dad played the slots for a little bit. Then we woke up at 6:00am on Thursday and drove for about another 4 hours, crossing into Oregon for a little bit to Boise, Idaho. We picked up the hardtop at about 1:30 (this is now mountain time) and left for the high desert in Oregon. There was roads that went for miles and you still couldn't see exactly where they ended. We were in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE with not a car around us. We drove through Oregon for a few hours and ended up staying in Alturas in northern California. We got there at about 9:00pm. Then we woke up at 6:00am this morning and left for the Mt. Lassen area. We first fished at Lake Almanore. We had lunch there too but didn't catch any fish. Then we left twords Truckee, and found 2 rivers to fish in. The first one, my dad caught a cod or something in the first 5 minutes that we started. We stayed there for a little bit more and left. We got to the Feather River and went in a pretty remote area and nobody else was there. So we decided to fish there. We got some more fish there. I caught 2, and my dad caught 3. I got a little one and a bigger one and my dad caught two smaller ones and a bigger one. I also saw one of the weirdest but most amazing things i have ever seen in my life. Here are some of the good pics i got.

This is in either Nevada, Oregon, or Idaho, i can't remember, the all looked the same to me.

Now, this is what i was talking about when i said the middle of nowhere.

Here is a cool lake we saw, i can't remember the name. It was a salt lake though.

Here is me with the biggest fish i caught, i don't know if it is bigger than my dad's or not, but they were about the same.

Now this is just crazy. Take a real close look at these few. We decided to keep one of the smaller fish, and put it on the stringer and walked away to the spot where we were fishing. Then when my dad was letting my big one go, he noticed that the fish was out of the water. And saw this water snake trying to swallow the fish. There is a dragonfly on the snake, and the snake is eating the dead fish.

So, we thought that he must be really hungry and so we gave him the guts and stuff of the fish. he couldn't get those, so my dad eventually cut off the bony head from the guts and stuff.

Here is where we were fishing. We were on top of the rock, and the little beach on the right is where the snake was.

And then this is now what the Jeep looks like with the hardtop.

Now, all those times i said up there, i usually go to bed at 10:00pm, and wake up at 8:30, sometimes 9:00am. I am tired.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

sweet jeep
MaXX_CrAWlER7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

nice, i guess snakes are like dumb.
Crawler Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

What kind of snake, looks like a viper of some sort. Were you guys that close or did you have decent zoom on the camera. I got the "willys" just seeing the pictures...not a snake fan.

Last edited by JohnJohn; 06-01-2007 at 10:15 PM.
JohnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
RCC Addict

hahaha the salt lake has got to be the Great Salt Lake here in utah
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #6
RCC Addict

No, that was in Oregon believe it or not. That snake was a water snake, i think. If it was a viper, hopefully it didn't inject venom into the fish that i am going to eat. I am lucky if it was a viper too, because i was pretty close to it. A few feet. But my dad was letting a fish go, and looked over to see this only a few inches away.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal crawler View Post
No, that was in Oregon believe it or not. That snake was a water snake, i think. If it was a viper, hopefully it didn't inject venom into the fish that i am going to eat. I am lucky if it was a viper too, because i was pretty close to it. A few feet. But my dad was letting a fish go, and looked over to see this only a few inches away.
Yeah, as I look closer at the picture of the snake with the fish guts the head does look slender not triangular. Enjoy the fish.
JohnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Rocks? View Post
hahaha the salt lake has got to be the Great Salt Lake here in utah
GR your a jackass. He mentioned nothing about going through Utah. Just because it's a salt lake dose'nt mean it's in Utah.

You my friend is why we are all called Utards...

Last edited by SPECIAL ED; 06-01-2007 at 10:24 PM.
SPECIAL ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED View Post
GR your a jackass. He mentioned nothing about going through Utah. Just because it's a salt lake dose'nt mean it's Utah.

You my friend is why we are alled Utards...
i am a jackass...i feel like a even bigger one now though thanks alot ED yes sireee i am a utard
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I would look on the internet and see if cotton mouths snakes are in your area cause it looks like the ones we have in Fl. If it is I wouldn't eat the fish.

Cottonmouths are large, aquatic, venomous snakes. They are generally dark above: olive, brown, or black. A lighter/darker cross banding pattern may be seen, especially on the sides. They are heavy bodied with keeled scales. Adult size is considered to be in the range of 30 to 48 inches. The young are more distinctly patterned, resembling a very dark Copperhead Snake, without the reddish tint.

Cottonmouths are common snakes found in wetlands, rivers, lakes, etc. Their range in South Carolina is usually limited to below the fall line. Many times non-venomous water snakes are mistaken for Cottonmouths. Cottonmouths get their name from their defensive habit of gaping their mouths open to expose the white lining of the mouth. This is their way of warning potential aggressors to stay away.

Cottonmouths can be aggressive. Unlike their Copperhead cousins, they will often stand their ground. Their venom is stronger and they tend to be larger snakes, making them very dangerous. I have encountered specimens which flee like water snakes, but more often they assume a defensive posture or crawl/swim slowly away.

Last edited by Shaun (yota); 06-01-2007 at 10:50 PM. Reason: found info
Shaun (yota) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I searched a little bit and i think it is a gartersnake. Here is two that look like it.

http://www.californiaherps.com/snake...uchiiyu506.jpg

http://www.californiaherps.com/nonca...izonaese05.jpg

And this is the full page of common snakes in California.

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/snakespics.html

I don't think it had fangs too, there is no marks on the fish from what i can see. But maybe they were small. Also this snakes behavior doesn't seem like the description in that. It was kind of skittish, but it didn't just run away as soon as it saw us. I dont think it was venemous, but i'm going to make sure before i eat the fish.

Last edited by Norcal crawler; 06-01-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:34 AM   #12
Colt Python/SR9c

easiest way to be sure

throw the fish away
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote