RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Adobe Lightroom (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/74139-adobe-lightroom.html)

Unholy 06-07-2007 08:30 PM

Adobe Lightroom

Any of you fellow photogs using Lightroom yet?

Worth it? Decent?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks!

smokinubyrc 06-07-2007 09:10 PM

My brother is using it right now, but he doesn't really like it too much.
He said its a little harder to learn and follow.

mikestoys 06-07-2007 10:09 PM

im stuck on CS and photo professional for my CR2 file conversions... hard for me to go and try something new...

NorCal 2500HD 06-08-2007 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikestoys (Post 729552)
im stuck on CS and photo professional for my CR2 file conversions... hard for me to go and try something new...

I feel ya on that....I got a copy of cs3 and went right back to cs2.....you become so used to your normal work flow, a new change slows you down a little.

mikestoys 06-08-2007 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal 2500HD (Post 729677)
I feel ya on that....I got a copy of cs3 and went right back to cs2.....you become so used to your normal work flow, a new change slows you down a little.

oooooooooh... feel free to send me that CS3 copy... "thumbsup"

Brandon 06-08-2007 08:44 AM

Lightroom is nice, used it for a while and once you get used to its flow its great. If you are editing and organizing mass amounts of pictures its perfect. For anyone else it wouldnt be worth it.

Unholy 06-08-2007 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing (Post 729804)
Lightroom is nice, used it for a while and once you get used to its flow its great. If you are editing and organizing mass amounts of pictures its perfect. For anyone else it wouldnt be worth it.

Yeah, comparing it to photoshop is pretty much apples and oranges.

I was just wondering if the processing flow was any better than Nikon Capture for raw images. I see I can still get a 30 day free trial of it so I am going to give it a shot and see if I see any benefits.

EDIT: Oh and for mass amounts of pictures... between my brother and I we take about 150 pics average of my daughter a day!

NorCal 2500HD 06-08-2007 11:34 AM

For raw converting I use Phase One capture One Pro.....So far its been the easiest.....also use a WhiBal card for white balance and you can batch convert all the images with the same WB.

PaulEZK 06-08-2007 11:51 AM

I use lightroom in conjunction with photoshop cs2.. I start with lightroom, organzing and rating my photos first, then I use the develope in lightroom and play with the basic settings of the photos, then I export and bring those select few top rated files into photoshop and work my editing magic.

So yeah, they are apples and oranges, but lightroom can do a bit of what photoshop does, but lightroom has funtions cs2 doesn't. So I use both and it works great and cuts workflow time down.

DaViolentOne 06-08-2007 12:12 PM

JASC PaintShopPro 7 I use now... I dig it.. A LOT lighter than Adobe and just as powerful... Conversions, ACDSee, or, JASC again...

Video is a different thing tho'.. I have WAY too many video things but not one decent editor... Anyone know of a good movie editor that'll let you get into it frame by frame and add/remove things?

mikestoys 06-08-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unholy (Post 729806)
EDIT: Oh and for mass amounts of pictures... between my brother and I we take about 150 pics average of my daughter a day!

i average 200 frames a day myself... on my big shoots even more... my last shoot was 900 frames... and i shoot in RAW 100% of the time...

thank God for batch processing... "thumbsup"

NorCal 2500HD 06-08-2007 04:56 PM

Mike, you using 1 big card or a few little ones.....

cotharyus 06-08-2007 08:43 PM

There is a good review in either the June or July issue of Mac World comparing Lightroom and Apeture - worth a read for anyone who shoots lots of pictures. I've been pretty slack myself the last 2 months or so, only a couple hundred shots total. My wife is keeping up though, there's no telling how much she shoots.