Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: What Are H.S. Garage Bands Covering These Days?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default What Are H.S. Garage Bands Covering These Days?

Just wondering. I was driving through a residential neighborhood this afternoon with the windows down, and slightly overheard a garage band practicing. I made a point to slow down so I could hear, and low and behold, there was a little (although crappy) "For Whom The Bell Tolls" action going on. Just the sound took me back to my younger days because said song was a standard amongst EVERY garage band in my high school days.................and some are still keeping the spirit alive.

Are most modern high school garage bands still playing Metallica? Zeppelin? Hendrix? If not, what are the standards these days? Do high schools still have "battle of the bands?"
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

My buddy had a garage band. They covered all kinds of stuff, as long as it was metal. Usually they played songs that showcased a perticular members tallent, like a killer guitar, drum, or bass solo.

Our highschool didn't like battle of the band type things. A few of the bands tried to get the school to have one where they could sell tickets. The school told them that they do not support that sort of extra curricular activity.

Funny because now their music dept. is about to shut down, but they have a top noch football team.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Just wondering. I was driving through a residential neighborhood this afternoon with the windows down, and slightly overheard a garage band practicing. I made a point to slow down so I could hear, and low and behold, there was a little (although crappy) "For Whom The Bell Tolls" action going on. Just the sound took me back to my younger days because said song was a standard amongst EVERY garage band in my high school days.................and some are still keeping the spirit alive.

Are most modern high school garage bands still playing Metallica? Zeppelin? Hendrix? If not, what are the standards these days? Do high schools still have "battle of the bands?"
yup i'm in a band, we have a battle of the bands every year
I play lead guitar and sing too. we play mostly old stuff like Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC, but we play a little of the newer stuff like system of a down etc. its a lot of fun
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Our high school has an annual battle of the bands. I don't go to it, so I don't know what kind of music they play.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

my bad is totley diff from the ac dc stuff..
more of a bluegrass thing..but i do know some ac dc and perl jam stuff
mudhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhunter View Post
my bad is totley diff from the ac dc stuff..
more of a bluegrass thing..but i do know some ac dc and perl jam stuff
You can read music?
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
You can read music?
He can't read english, let alone music
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
RCC Addict

One late night I was hanging out at the tattoo shop, and from the basement of the laundromat next door, you could hear a band warming up with some Foo Fighters

This guy my friend knows has a garage, and I've sang with them a couple times. They play a lot of older stuff - Metallica, Black Sabbath, Tool, Pearl Jam; and a bit of new stuff, too. But then again, we're all well past high-school age

But even back in high school, a lot of people were into some great classic rock. My art teacher let us play Pink Floyd as much as we wanted. And at our battle of the bands, they rocked out a killer cover of Fortunate Son.

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 06-14-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

For whom the bell tolls : my old band played that in our Jr High talent show. Takes me back.
Dammit . I miss my drumset .
RockRacer1 is offline   Reply With Quote