Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Places to crawl and/or in Hawaii?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Places to crawl and/or in Hawaii?

The wife and I will finally get a honeymoon after 13 years and we are headed to Hawaii in October. I am still trying to convince her to let me bring a rig.

Just so I am prepared, what are the local crawl spots around waikiki? and what places would you recommend I take the wife to help smooth things over afterward?
xaruum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

What? no one lives in Hawaii anymore?
xaruum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
RCC Addict

What Island?...
AIPOHAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Near some shore lines, where there isn't sand there are stretches where boulders are used for breakwaters. A couple of comp sites are in areas like this(check the comps and video sections)

On the Diamond Head side of Waikiki, past the aquarium there's some rocky areas but you have to check the surf for that day because the waves might be washing over them. There are other areas in Waikiki, like the breakwater walkway and by the Hilton Hawaiian village, but the problem will be the crowds. Waikiki is ALWAYS crowded, and you can bet your life you'll draw a pretty large crowd if you crawl around there. If you can deal with that go for it.

In general the farther out from Wakiki you go the more privacy you'll get. One exception is where the last comp was held and the next comp coming up is at, a state park in downtown Honolulu called Sand Island Park. It's a few miles west of Waikiki, but right across the harbor from a tourist/local spot, the Aloha Tower Marketplace. It's a little hard to find for non locals because you have to go a ways around and through an industrial area to get to it.

Try posting in the Hawaii comp thread, the comps guys always check there.

And a last note, if you venture out, don't leave your rig, or any valuables for that matter, locked in your rent-a-car. Thieves can smell a rental, and they will take anything and everything and then your rig will be gone.

Have a great vacation!

Last edited by hawnmt; 08-09-2007 at 02:26 PM.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote