Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Truck and Diesel Combo is Best?
Chevy and Duramax 24 22.64%
Dodge and Cummins 51 48.11%
Ford and International 13 12.26%
Ford with a Cummins 18 16.98%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Best Diesel in a Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawlin View Post
My dad is in the market for a large diesel truck, like a 1 ton dually. And he only wants a diesel one, so whats the best diesel engine in a truck out there?
No offense, but do you really think your dad values his 15 year old son's opinion enough to affect his decision at all? This isnt exactly an everyday investment....and you cant even drive yet.

Keep the pointless polls to a minimum K?
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2007, 01:32 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
as much as i hate replying to your threads, diesel engines are my life.

in my opinion cummins' 5.9L and the 7.3L powerstroke are the best engines made. if you could get a ford truck with a cummins motor and allison transmission, you'd have the ultimate truck.

soooooo true.......
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:07 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by '83 chevy View Post
Detroit Diesel in a Chevy
I gots one of them.

I'm a Chevy fan, but hate the Durabux. With my old, weak, 6.5 turbo, I have 80% of the Durabux at 20% of the price.

I perfer the older Dodge and GM diesels, being the 12 valve, 6.2, 6.5, and 6.5 turbo.
RCpullerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Duramax is a japanese diesel right ???
Allison trans the best ????
3Samudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:59 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

I own an '02 crew w/dmax .almost bought the Ford ... lifting is easier, the interior was nicer on the Chevy , and this left me in a spot . The Ford still had the old powerstroke , which got better milage pulling . the new motor , and the max both have a hard time passing fuel stations when pulling big trailers . The Dodge runs great ... but Dodge doesen't have a good trans.I chose comfort ,besides the aftermarket makes easy power and milage gains
. Yes , Duramax is an Isuzu engine , they do specialize in heavy trucks , and probably was designed with LOTUS , I remember a tech article about the commingling of GM partners .
That VW suv thing I test drove had gobs of power , ended-up with a Jetta TDI , not bad on power, killer milage ... anyone know who programs VWs in the U.S. ?
Anyway , truth told , your dad should pick the one that he likes best . The look goes a long way , the rest can be dealt with in the garage .
Frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank3 View Post
I own an '02 crew w/dmax .almost bought the Ford ... lifting is easier, the interior was nicer on the Chevy , and this left me in a spot . The Ford still had the old powerstroke , which got better milage pulling . the new motor , and the max both have a hard time passing fuel stations when pulling big trailers . The Dodge runs great ... but Dodge doesen't have a good trans.I chose comfort ,besides the aftermarket makes easy power and milage gains
. Yes , Duramax is an Isuzu engine , they do specialize in heavy trucks , and probably was designed with LOTUS , I remember a tech article about the commingling of GM partners .
That VW suv thing I test drove had gobs of power , ended-up with a Jetta TDI , not bad on power, killer milage ... anyone know who programs VWs in the U.S. ?
Anyway , truth told , your dad should pick the one that he likes best . The look goes a long way , the rest can be dealt with in the garage .
Van Aaken makes some VW programmers, good product as well.
http://www.vanaaken.com/usa/index.asp?pagename=vwrange
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

My 03 duramax is in the shop as we speak. Was leaking fuel into the oil. I took it to a very good shop and the owner described the fuel system on the 01 to 03 dmax as a " bag of snakes". Dad has a 98 dodge w/ cummins no problems. Grandpa is on his third dodge w/ cummins, his first was a 92, then a 99, now an 06 mega. no problems there. My chevy will be down for another week, and cost about 5k to fix. It was a serious deliberation to decide if even to fix it. Never again chevy. Oh yeah, I love driving the chevy, with all of my tools and crap it weighs around 8k and still moves realy well city and highway, seems quicker than dads dodge. But spending 5k on a 4 year old truck that is supposed to last hundreds of thousands of miles sucks a$$. never again chevy.
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:03 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

If you cant tell im kind of a diesel whore... In my opinion (what do i know im just a kid with a associates in mechanical engineering) the 7.3L powerstroke was the best pickup motor out there, now, i'd go with the cummins. I havent read throught this whole thread cuz it takes too long on my blackberry, but ill catch up on it tomorrow.

"Bag of snakes" lol, sooooo true.

Last edited by dieselfuel; 10-15-2007 at 07:52 AM.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:26 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

CUMMINS, eat,sleep,breathe Diesel
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:05 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by highhpcummins View Post
CUMMINS, eat,sleep,breathe Diesel
EXACTLY!

I prefer the 7.3L PSD and the 5.9L cummins because they were originally designed for medium duty trucks, not little pickups. An engine thats designed for 5yd dumptrucks, flat bed towtrucks, streetsweepers etc. Is gonna be a lillte overkill in a pickup. Theyre built heavier, so they last forever. Theyre loud, they smoke, and theyre sometimes tempermental in cold weather, but i wouldnt drive any other diesel on the road.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #51
Pebble Pounder

The 7.3 was the best , but all the new gen. engines use common rail injection . Low pressure feed to the injector, cam pumps injector to aprox.20k psi , then electronics control timing . All have trouble with leaking- thus fuel in the oil . This can be checked easily when checking oil level . After wiping dip stick off watch the oil spot on paper towel , if a ring forms around oil spot ,this is fuel . this check can save you that 5k. I still say pick the one you like , and deal with the rest .
And thanks for the tip on tuners Nor Cal 2500HD
Frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

duramax, best daily driver motor ever, my truck started all last winter in -20 weather without a block heater or anything, cycled the glow plugs and fired right up everytime! oh and it didnt wake my entire neighborhood when it started either haha
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #53
Rock Stacker

if you had the money, drop a cummins in a ford
4-linkedWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Nothing could have saved my 5k except a cummins. There was no damage to the motor itself. That repair bill is just to repair the fuel system. It was that or change the oil once a week to keep the viscosity in check. I love the way the truck drives, lots of power, but as many of these trucks that have this expensive failure designed into them I am tapping out. Never again chevy.
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

I still want to put either a 3-53 or 4-53 Detroit in my Chevy. NOTHING comes close to the sound of a straight piped screamin' Detroit.
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
My 03 duramax is in the shop as we speak. Was leaking fuel into the oil. I took it to a very good shop and the owner described the fuel system on the 01 to 03 dmax as a " bag of snakes". Dad has a 98 dodge w/ cummins no problems. Grandpa is on his third dodge w/ cummins, his first was a 92, then a 99, now an 06 mega. no problems there. My chevy will be down for another week, and cost about 5k to fix. It was a serious deliberation to decide if even to fix it. Never again chevy. Oh yeah, I love driving the chevy, with all of my tools and crap it weighs around 8k and still moves realy well city and highway, seems quicker than dads dodge. But spending 5k on a 4 year old truck that is supposed to last hundreds of thousands of miles sucks a$$. never again chevy.
did you do much research? my bet is that it is just an injector or something, and in that case is under warrantee. i guess its too late now but theres really not a lot of ways for that to happen.
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #57

I see some mis-info here.

Here's a short tidbit on the Duramax:

It was 1/2 owned by Isuzu, and designed by Isuzu. Always built by GM, in the same exact plant that made the 6.5's when they where the GM diesel option. Isuzu and GM have since split, and went their own ways, at which point, Duramax came under full ownership of GM.

See now, the Duramax is only related to Isuzu in that Isuzu designed it, and used to 1/2 own the company. The engine has always been built by GM in their Moraine (I think), Ohio plant.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:13 AM   #58

Default For those of you who like Fords but want Cummins power......

http://www.destroked.com/

Saw one on the road, thought it was a good idea. My brother and Dad both have 06 Dmax's, my brother has literally beat his and it's never failed. (Towed combined 40k lbs!!) He did have a tranny problem (shop that serviced it didn't do so correctly) but GM covered and fixed it. But when he wants to pull something heavy, he's got an Int 4400.

BTW, the big 3 are all supposed to have 1/2 ton diesels coming out in 09.
TheOtherRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:21 AM   #59

Thought you might want to know, GM had 1/2 ton diesels and Suburban/K5/Tahoe diesels since at least 1982 until anout 1998.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:30 AM   #60
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Samudra View Post
Duramax is a japanese diesel right ???
Allison trans the best ????
Well, according to our diesel mechanic (GM), the Allison is a bullet-proof trans. Reason being, him and I were talking about the trans the other day and that was one of the points he mentioned. A customer of mine was inquring about some additives for the Allison. He as slightly appalled by this customer wanting to put additives into it. Mostly he was upset about the lack of knowledge out there about these trans.

btw- im not a mechanic, so I have never on them. Just a parts guy
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote