Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Moutain bikes RAWR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Moutain bikes RAWR

So the toys r us bike is on its last legs and I am looking at stepping it up a notch. I have been looking at new Mountain bikes and this is what I was looking at:

An Ibex Ignition for a FS or a GT Avalanche for a hardtail

My price range is in the $400-$800 category and most of my riding is all mountain and a bit of technical stuff, also I would probably ride it from my apartment to school. I thought these would be two good entry to moderate level bikes. I am even looking at possibly used, assuming they aren't beat but thats a bit tricky.

I know there are some mountain bikers on this forum, I would like you to hate on the two I have chosen but the catch is that you have to offer another bike as a viable alternative.

Discs brakes are a must for this bike or it has to be easily upgradable.

Also I don't want to buy just a frame and a parts list. I am looking for something that is ARTR per say.

This post is the most constructive thing I have done today at work *Anguish*

Thanks for the help guys!

Lex
Lextronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

pm or get hold of 1badjeepbruiser. he will help you! or i'm sure someone will. sorry i an't help but just telling you 1bjb is the best when it comes to bikes!
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Hi

I have been looking for a new bike too. I want a Full Suspension though. I am also thinking about getting the Ibex Ignition. It looks like it has some good stuff on it for the money. Unfortunatly, Ibex is almost sold out of Ignitions. I emailed them and found out the 2008s should start coming out in October. I am interested to know what everyone says about these too.

Yama-Bro
Yama-Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Haha thats great, I emailed them too and got the simple "If you check on our website, you'll see that they are sold out", I kinda felt silly but oh well. I hear Ibex has great customer service tthough, but I want a bit more info from an owner before I buy one.

Thanks for the info on 1BJB I'll send him a message

Lex
Old 08-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

take a look at some of the raleigh bikes. they have some awesome recreational mountain bikes. I have a mojave 8.0 and i love it. i have it set perfectly for high jumps and drops. for your price range, you will mostly likely have to get a hard tail though.
bemmermazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

what will you be doing with it? what kind of riding?
konafreeride11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

did you not read?
Quote:
most of my riding is all mountain and a bit of technical stuff, also I would probably ride it from my apartment to school
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

^ nothing crazy, just a solid trail rider that would be a good platform to upgrade off later.

Thanks,
Lex
Old 08-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The answer is simple. Don't buy mail order. Take the highest amount you are willing to pay. Walk into your local bike shop. Tell them you have this much to spend, and not a penny more. If they strike you as friendly, knowledgable, and helpful, buy the bike there.

The Raleigh mojave 8.0 is an excellent bike for the money. The 2008 Kona lineup will include a number of gorgeous bikes for that range. Specialized has a nice 2008 lineup as well, but they have some fairly bobo graphics this years (a little too wannabe punk rock).

Don't buy mail order unless you are an experienced cyclist who can properly assemble a rig. Your LBS will not charge you for assembly and they offer a warranty.

That being said, the 2008 Mojave 8.0 offers Shimano Deore and a RockShox Tora fork. Good bang for the buck. Add another hundred or so for clipless pedals and shoes.
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Get a single speed, I am riding one now and they are just fun. They ride easier for some reason, also how much do you weigh because you will want to also base your bike on a size. Have you considered a 29'er they are great.

Wait for Rizzo to join in on this thread he knows his stuff.
RedNeck Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck Rc View Post
Get a single speed, I am riding one now and they are just fun. They ride easier for some reason, also how much do you weigh because you will want to also base your bike on a size. Have you considered a 29'er they are great.

Wait for Rizzo to join in on this thread he knows his stuff.
Singlespeed is nice, but a bit closer to his $800 mark unless he goes with a Redline Mono-Cog.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I have to agree with the mojave, it is a nice bike for the money.
RedNeck Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Although singlespeed is a nice way of life

My wife rides a Kona Kula 2-9'er and loves it.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

check out this site http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/
Defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:14 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have been busy lately and haven't been able to get to the bikshops, but it is on my to do list. I am not in a hurry, propabably won't commit till late fall, but I am glad I posted you guys have some other great options!

I have checked out mtbr before and the reviews are excellent.

Thanks for the info guys, I am gonna check this out during work

Lex

Nice shirt Radish!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #16
Sinking with the ship

Hey dude,
Not sure if there is any dealers by you but you can check out the bikes we sell

http://k2bikes.com/

http://ironhorsebikes.com/

You can use the dealer locater to see if there are any nearby dealers.

Definitely buy from a shop whatever bike is may be...on line retail for things like bikes is not a good idea... A local shop will often offer a service plan, like free adjustments for the 1st year and a free 1st tune. I know my shop does that. They will also build the bike correctly for you as well which is the most crucial part of getting a new bike. The on line guys just ship the thing in a box and the average consumer thinks you just need to slap the handle bars and front wheel on I cant tell you how many crank sets I am made to warranty because people dont know that the non drive side is left hand thread.

Good luck, and if you have any questions just ask There are actually a lot of avid cyclist on this site.

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Wow again, Thanks for the awsome info. Sounds like I really need to get down to the bike shop. I have looked at some of the Ironhorse bikes they are pretty cool, just a matter of finding the model and trim that fits into the wallet's range. Also thanks for more great suggestions!

Lex