Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Most horrific day of my driving career.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Most horrific day of my driving career.

Ive been driving a truck for 11 yrs. now and today was the worst. I was driving on I-465 witch is the loop around Indianapolis, hauling my usual oversize load when the driver of the car ahead of me fell out of it at 60 mph. I put both feet on the brake pedal and also applied the hand valve for the trailer and barely kept from running him over, witch supprised me cause I haul precast concrete wall for buildings that weigh in access of 50,000 lbs. I jumped out figuring he was dead, but he was still breathing but was very badly injured. He had a crack in his skull, his right eye was solid white, compound fracture in his right arm,both legs were broke, road rash like ive never seen before and was bleeding heavily from the mouth.His car proceeded another 3/4 mile and slammed a guard rail. Luckily it did not hit anyone. Myself and another motorist talked to him to try to calm and tried keeping him from moving until paramedics could arrive. I will say his screams will be in my head for a while. Please everyone wear your seatbelt.
offroad1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #2

How did he fall out?
CopperTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

How does one fall out of a car? Was it a Wrangler w/o doors or something similar? Sounds like you did the right things though.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It was a mid 90's 4 door Grand Prix and I am still wandering how the door came open or how he came out. Tonight will definitely be a sleepless night. I found out witch hospital he was taken to but they will not tell me anything. Im just so glad it wasnt rush hour or things would have been a lot worse. Ive seen a lot of wrecks and dead people but never been right there with another person screaming like he was.:-(
Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad1911 View Post
It was a mid 90's 4 door Grand Prix and I am still wandering how the door came open or how he came out. Tonight will definitely be a sleepless night. I found out witch hospital he was taken to but they will not tell me anything. Im just so glad it wasnt rush hour or things would have been a lot worse. Ive seen a lot of wrecks and dead people but never been right there with another person screaming like he was.:-(
Good luck man, the shock of that stuff will get to you....Keep your mind off of it and work on a Crawler...LOL
CopperTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Wow sorry to hear it.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
RCC Addict

yeah man stuff like that is insane. I was trucking with my dad a few years ago and there were two chicks in a convertable without seatbelts on and another car hit them, they flipped and both came out flying..it was terrible!!

and then the other day on my trip downstate there was a trucker on a back road a very narrow one and there was a guy hauling a wide load in front of us and the trucker had no where to go so the wide load trucker almost ran him off the road into a ditch..I bet the poor guy was scared to death!
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
I lost my vendor privileges

glad he is kinda ok man. thoughts go out to him and you and families.good thing you werent going down hill and jack knife it.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
How does one fall out of a car?
Exactly what I thought. He may have been trying to commit suicide. I hope he doesn't sue you for NOT running him over.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Im on the road alot, and have seen some pretty nasty stuff, the worst was an old mna fell asleep while driving his Motorhome and went off the road right in front of me into a ponderosa pine. needless to say the Motorhome stopped dead and the old man was ejected out the front through the windshield. I called 911 before I had even stopped.

the old man was hanging from his legs in the pine tree, his right leg torn in half at the knee from the impact. I wrapped up his knee area as tight as I could with a bath towel I had in the truck.

he survived minus the leg from the knee down
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
Im on the road alot, and have seen some pretty nasty stuff, the worst was an old mna fell asleep while driving his Motorhome and went off the road right in front of me into a ponderosa pine. needless to say the Motorhome stopped dead and the old man was ejected out the front through the windshield. I called 911 before I had even stopped.

the old man was hanging from his legs in the pine tree, his right leg torn in half at the knee from the impact. I wrapped up his knee area as tight as I could with a bath towel I had in the truck.

he survived minus the leg from the knee down
wow......i have no idea how i would act in a situation like that. I know i could never do something like that with out panicking. good work!

Seriously, everyone has to wear their seat-belt and be aware of the road.
bemmermazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:40 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Actually - Seatbelt. Yes. I'm certain I'm here today because I wore one many years ago. We had a 72 (I think) Dodge truck that had a bum door on it - you could close it, and some times it would latch, and sometimes it would just sit there and look closed. I was riding shotgun one day, and it opened up on me while we were going around a turn, and I'm certain that old lap belt is all that kept me in the truck and out of oncoming traffic.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemmermazda View Post
wow......i have no idea how i would act in a situation like that. I know i could never do something like that with out panicking. good work!

Seriously, everyone has to wear their seat-belt and be aware of the road.
time spent as a volunteer fireman, over a bunch of years you see alot.....unfortunately. Im thinking most of us would handle it ok at the time and then fall apart later. I relive those nasties in my dreams. Thats why I dont do it for a living
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #14
06 Super National Champ

Was on a trip to CT last year and saw a guy hit a bridge pillar at 100+ in a mini van.

I was a few hundred feet behind him on the road, watched it all unfold. Ran to the van to check on him (was on phone with 911 before I started running to the van) and didn't see him. He was thrown from the van...about 75 feet away.

Told 911 the status of the guy, and that if they didn't get a heli there soon he was gone. He'd never live to see the hospital in an ambulance. He was unconscious..his body was mush. No compound fractures but his entire body was like jelly. He gurgled as he breathed...never a good sign.

After telling 911 the status of the guy I ran back to the van (now on fire) and searched for more folks. Didn't see anyone else in the van but I did see a car seat - unbuckled. I went nuts. Where is the kid? I searched and searched until the heat was too much to take.

Thanks to the military I've kind of become desensitized to the blood/guts/gore, just react, but I just felt like I couldn't do enough at the time.

The worst part of a situation like that for me is knowing that someone needs help and not having the means to help them.

My one thought that kept eating at me is if I somehow overlooked the kid in the van. I was the only one searching the van and, after seeing the car seat, the thought of a kid in that van ate at me for the rest of the weekend.

Luckily I found out later that weekend that there was no kid in the van.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I really appreciate everyones thoughts, it helps take my mind off of it.
I wish I was home to work on a crawler.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by M715ForLife View Post
Wouldent he put a bullet in his head instead?
Only if he buys a gun..
bemmermazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #17
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

just glad you didn't run him over that would have been he__ on you good to know your a truck driver that has his mind on his job
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Chip, I appreciate that. I see way to many guys these days who have no business behind the wheel of a big truck.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #19
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad1911 View Post
Thanks Chip, I appreciate that. I see way to many guys these days who have no business behind the wheel of a big truck.
yea you right about that they drive a 15 ton truck like its a race car but then again you got 4 wheelers that pull out in front of a truck and think its gonna stop on a dime i guess some people don't need a DL or CDL
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip cross View Post
just glad you didn't run him over that would have been he__ on you good to know your a truck driver that has his mind on his job
yeah no s*** no one treats trucks with respect. my dad had a guy cut across 3 lanes with a camper right in front of him. praying for u bud
mudplower is offline   Reply With Quote