Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Wheely King 4X4 question (non tech)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Wheely King 4X4 question (non tech)

I'm thinking about purchasing a new WK 4X4 for my daughter to play with. She is getting pretty good with the nylint jeep she has now and I think its time to move forward. So heres my list of questions.

1. Is the WK 4X4 a capable truck in stock form? (I will most likely lock the diffs and put in a lathe and gear down to slow it down eventually.)
2. Is it worth it to get the 4X4 version or just get the 2wd and convert it?
3. What if any are the weak points? (axles, tranny, chassis layout)
4. If not the WK is there another truck out there that is better for her to play with? (Kit or RTR around $200)

So have at it ladies and gents. Give me your thoughts and opinions on this subject and help me make an informed decision.
mazdaparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Get the 4x4 version. The only real weak point on it is the ESC will thermal "easily" with the stock motor. A little tweaking goes a long way - a gear change, motor change, longer wheelbase, and you've got a pretty reasonable crawler. But you can crawl with it without spending a whole lot of money right out of the box.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #3

for flex there is a cross brace on the rear bottom links that will give u decent flex if u look on the stage one it shows u how
smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

the stock 4x4 wk is a great truck. I've put only about $40 in mods (including the 55T motor I just put in last night) and it's a very capable truck! The gearing and higher turn motor will slow it down significantly.

Consensus says that the ESC and the receiver are the weak points. The ESC is prone to overheat when crawling (has a thermal shutdown), but with a 55T motor, that should be all but eliminated. I've also had a little trouble with the range of the radio/receiver, but just extend the antenna all the way and leave the truck's antenna in the stock position and you should be fine (I wrapped mine around the frame and I don't have much range - will change that tonight)

For a backyard basher, you can't go wrong!

Cheers!
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Great feedback. Keep em coming.
mazdaparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
RCC Addict

There's a very helpful tutorial on HPI's website of how to make it a crawler for like, 35.00! so a 230.00 crawler is wicked awesome, or i'd just wait until you could get your mits on axials new AX-10 crawler!
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote