Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Weekend at Silver Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Weekend at Silver Lake

Well my and my family took a small vacation to silver lake. We were there from friday afternoon till about 10 this morning. Man did i have a blast, The first day we got there we just wandered around didnt do much of anything. Saturday we rented a pontoon boat for the day 8am-8pm (long day) well we just swam walked the dunes and cruised around the lake. sunday my mom said we should rent a jeep and drive on the dunes, I was like aswsome.... well we rent it for 3 hours and when we were just getting onto the actual dunes my mom started to get sick to the stomach....Now what? well sh said drop me off at the lake and u guys can go drive around so we did. we did all but one hill which was the one the rental people specificaly told us not to do. because only about 75% of the trucks were making it up. well when u go over the dunes you cant just stop at the top you have to get the rear end almost over then you can stop...or else you will bottom out. well it was about time to leave so we picked up my mom and we were heading out i said lets hit that dune one more time so we did..well my dad wanted to scare my mom so he went up faster than normal.....bad idea since it was so windy on the other side of the dune was about a 5' drop that we couldnt see well we aired out at the top and landed about 15' down the dune......what a ride wish i had a vid of it...oh well. but in the end i was very impressed with the jeeps capabilities being a totally stock jeep wrangler only thing done to it was air was let out of the tires... well here are a couple pics that turned out.

view of the dunes from our room

sunset view

a cool rail we seen driving by
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #2

Looks like a good time man! I love trips to the dunes. Here is a pic of my rail about 2 years ago. A few things have changed on it but it is still pretty much the same. It's got an 1835cc VW with a big bad Dellorto carb on it. Now it has a brand new Jamar super shifter on it and 2 sets of KC style lights. An air horn just for fun and a .50 cal ammo can for the tool box.

And here is a pic of my dad and little bro in my dad's 2.0 turbocharged Subaru powered rail. Sorry about the pic being wierd like this, but I was trying to drive and take a pic with my cheapo digital camera at the same time and we were doing about 45 mph right then according to my GPS.

And a comparison shot just for fun.
musicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Awesome man yea i like the rails over the "buggy" type like you have. Don't get me wrong your buggy is sick but im more of a 4 seater real kind of guy lol but yea there were alot like yours there. i want one thats street legal too.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

wats a trip to the dunes w/o the dirtbikes mike?!?!? looks like you had a blast man
xr100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #5

I would love to have more of a rail type too and I have thought about making it street legal, but then you have to add a windsheild and 4 wheel brakes and all that jazz... For 4 grand including the trailer it was the best I could pay cash for after buying my Jeep seeing as how I was 17 and bought them both with cash within about 6 months of each other. I don't really like to take a loan out or anything like that for my hobbies. I would have for the jeep if I had to as it was my daily driver before I got married. But the buggy was good enough for me! It may not be the best/fastest... But it is mine and not a banks!
Old 08-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yea there is no way the bank had no part in some of the guys rails i seen. they had to have 25k+ in them they were awesome but its nice to actually own it yourself
Old 08-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #7

Definitely. I lovegoing to Glamis and seeing the guys with these huge rails with the LS1 and Caddy Northstars in them. I saw a guy last trip with a rail that had a northstar with twin turbos in his 4-seater. In the back of each of the front seat's headrests he had a 6 inch tv and he had a 13 inch flat screen between the 2 front seats under the dash with an x-box hooked up to them. He had 4 rockford-fosgate 6x9s and 2 rockford 12" subs with a 5000 watt amp all in their own sandproof enclosures. the subs and 2 of the 6x9s were under the custom built trunk wing in the back. My uncle had a few too many so he was feeling especially ballsy and asked him how much he had in it all together. He told us for the custom Raiders paint job alone it was 10K. He had about 105K in it altogether he said. That had to be one of the craziest rails I have seen. Not my style, but AWESOME none the less!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekx65 View Post
Yea there is no way the bank had no part in some of the guys rails i seen. they had to have 25k+ in them they were awesome but its nice to actually own it yourself

just because it's expensive don't mean you don't own it. my family has a 110,000$ boat that has no payments. lots of saving and making do with smaller.

i wish i had real dunes to ride in. were we four wheel it's pretty much pure sand though so i guess i'm close

skidooguymxz550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr100 View Post
wats a trip to the dunes w/o the dirtbikes mike?!?!? looks like you had a blast man

yea well if i would have brought my bike the who family would have to pack into the ranger and for a 5hr drive i dont think bringing the bike would had been worth it.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:02 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Awsome. i was at the dunes on friday for most of the day.
CarsonWyckoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

silver lake?
Old 08-14-2007, 09:11 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I was up there with the dirty inds jeep club in the last couple week of june had a riot there, even though they wouldn't let me on the slick track. OH what jeep did you rent, jk or tj?
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote