Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Gentoo Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Gentoo Linux

So, after getting totally frustrated with my crawler for the moment I decided to screw around on my newly repaired desktop and try something new. A guy who comes into work on occasion told me about this version of Linux called Gentoo, and coupled with the Gnome interface I could essentially set it up to run multiple desktops on one monitor. I figured hey what the hell, sounds cool. I think it is this XGL interface I found, but hell if I can make heads or tails of what the heck it is.

So, I get the liveCD burnt and ready to install, but the GUI doesn't have built in AMD drivers, fair enough, you can only fit so much information on a CD. I go and re-download the disk, but this time get only the minimal install disc.

So after firing it up I realize I have bitten off a chunk I cannot chew. Awesome for me. I spent several hours reading the hefty handbook and trying to program this installation, I get almost done only to find out I totally farked it up.

Super, hours wasted staring at code. So, after asking on the Gentoo forums and not getting any replies I gave up for the night.

So, do any of you use Gentoo, or Linux for that matter? I'm curious to see what others views on that system are. I'm pretty excited about the "jiggly" windows and the cube-ish desktop setup.

I've never had to go this far to install any piece of software in my life, makes me realize I am computer retarded.

That covers my story, I'm bored, pissed off, and my eyes are burning from staring at gastly white text on a black background for several hours. If any of you have any tips for the install that would be awesome, I know some of you are computer gurus.

Here is an odd video of the interface, around 2:40 seconds it gets crazy.

Last edited by xjman; 08-13-2007 at 08:20 PM.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2007, 06:40 AM   #2

I don't know that much about Gentoo but have worked with Ubuntu Linux for a couple years. Ubuntu is a Debain derived linux operating system. In my opinion it is much easier to use and work with, unless you really want to use Gentoo. You can download ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/. If your interested in it and need more help you can find it at http://ubuntuforums.org/. Hope this helps a little.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I used PCLinux OS, I liked it. Right now on my laptop im using TinyXP, Im afraid to change to PClinux again because my system is running so good already.
CrawlerNOklahom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I currently run many linux systems, but they're all servers and not workstations. I have tried using linux as a workstation in the past and I dislike it. I"ve probably tried half a dozen distros already.

If you really wanted to just try a "plug and play" version, download one of the self-booting knoppix cds. When I need to go wardriving or need to be right at a computer with a shell that's the hands down best quick tool for the job. You put a cd/dvd in, boot up and you have an OS setup immediately with some basic tools.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlerNOklahom View Post
I used PCLinux OS, I liked it. Right now on my laptop im using TinyXP, Im afraid to change to PClinux again because my system is running so good already.
Where did you get this TinyXP? I could find where to D/L but nothing really about it. I'm close to wiping my drive and re-installing the OS on my desktop, XP pro, and am thinking of trying an alternate OS.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Gentoo isn't new. But I digress. For all the hoopla about linux on the desktop, you're living proof it's not ready for prime time. I've run one version or another of *nix desktop since 1995 - from Slackware linux, to FreeBSD to Ubuntu, to Dreamlinux. The only *nix desktop that's succeeding is OS X. I would recommend FreeBSD to anyone as a starting place (via freesbie) in a heartbeat if there was a native version of flash - so give it another 6 months, because it's being worked on. But if you're hot to try something right now, try Dreamlinux. In all serousness, with a little help from someone with some linux experience, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to make a go of it. I'll use, as evidence, the fact that my 5 year old son runs Edubuntu on his desktop, albeit my choice, not his. Quick rundown:

My main desktop at home: FreeBSD
My laptop: Macbook, OS X
My wife's computer: Laptop, winXP
My son's computer: Edubuntu
Home server/router: FreeBSD
Work desktop: iMac, OS X
Work servers: 600+ servers running Redhat, FreeBSD, Win2k server

Bottom line recommendation: Find a local Linux Users Group. They often have "install fests" where people like me can help people like you become people like me.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

If I could get autocad/inventor to run on Linux and there was a good vid editing software similar to sony vegas without dual booting then I would make the switch to Linux full time. Right now I only use it for my NAS box running FreeNAS.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I've been working on instaling this since around 3 today. I made a typographical error and now I'm stuck and can't figure out how to get back to the Chroot prompt. Man I am tired of Linux already.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteenster View Post
Where did you get this TinyXP? I could find where to D/L but nothing really about it. I'm close to wiping my drive and re-installing the OS on my desktop, XP pro, and am thinking of trying an alternate OS.
www.tinyxp.com I think. IF not, do a search for it. you will probably have to download bittornado or some kind of Bit Torrent download. Download PCLinuxOS 2007, Im also using both OS's, PClinuxOS and TinyXP on a Thinkpad 600x Pentium III, 526mb ram and both run great!!
CrawlerNOklahom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

It still doesn't boot. It will go all the way into grub, then it says something about loading my kernel before something else. I've re-installed the kernel numerous times, even tried genkernel, but nothing. I can't find where my mistake is...
Old 08-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Just wipe the drive and redo the install.
I just watched the vid, it looks cool, I might have to try it on a PC at work.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:29 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I've done that twice. I've even gone straight from the handbook and am still encountering the problem. I've found I'm getting more adept at moving the install along though.

There is something in grub that I'm screwing up. I just can't figure out what I'm messing up in grub.conf
Old 08-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post
If I could get autocad/inventor to run on Linux and there was a good vid editing software similar to sony vegas without dual booting then I would make the switch to Linux full time. Right now I only use it for my NAS box running FreeNAS.
That'd be FreeBSD on that FreeNAS box.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 (aka Feisty Fawn... wierdos) on the lappy at home, dual-booting XP. I used Partition Magic to split the drive, then installed Ubuntu on the new partition. Cake. The only real issue was getting wireless to work.
I installed it on a system here at work too, then decided to try openSUSE instead. Cake.
Maybe try a different distro?

BTW: The desktop effects are cool. Moreso in openSUSE than Ubuntu. However there are add ons to make it even better.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I think I may break down and run Ubuntu. I really wanted to get Gentoo going, but I'm just having more trouble than I ever imagined. I've checked, double cheked, and tripple checked everything, reinstalled everything, no idea where I'm going wrong. Found 1 missed space in a code, that solved nothing.

It did however give me a new error to cry about.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Got it installed. I'm currently installing X (the software that makes it GUI driven like windows). I have been installing x for a hour and a half almost.

I think my laptop will get Ubuntu. I figure its gotta be less of a hassle than this.

Anyone familiar with Ubuntu and ATI drivers?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

what's the best lunix to use? for some gaming, graphics, and all around genral use?
SnailMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Use Envy to install ATI and nVidia drivers. I tried it without, and completely hosed the system.
Actually, even using envy from within Gnome screwed something up, and X wouldn't load after a reboot. The good thing is that envy can be run from the shell too. So I cleaned up the install and did it over again, and was good to go afterwards.

IMO, there is no best Linux to use. Try some of them. There are literally hundreds.
I just bought the Linux Bible, and that comes with 16 distro's on a DVD and CD, at least 5 of them are live.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

This post comes to you straight out of Gentoo Linux.

Finally got my bugs worked out, kind of nice having a plain interface.