Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: SG219 makes local paper about crawlers!! (not the police blotter)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Exclamation SG219 makes local paper about crawlers!! (not the police blotter)

As some of you know, I have been building rock crawlers for the last two years.

Well I met a couple of people that were interested enough to interview me and put it in a local paper.

The Pittsburgh City Paper has a large local circulation. Its in every Best Buy, record store, and a lot of restaurants and clubs and more!

It is a free publication.

Here is the link to the interview.

http://www.pittsburghcitypaper.ws/gy...id=oid%3A34495

This is the coolest thing that has happened to me in a long time, if EVER.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg219 View Post
As some of you know, I have been building rock crawlers for the last two years.

Well I met a couple of people that were interested enough to interview me and put it in a local paper.

The Pittsburgh City Paper has a large local circulation. Its in every Best Buy, record store, and a lot of restaurants and clubs and more!

It is a free publication.

Here is the link to the interview.

http://www.pittsburghcitypaper.ws/gy...id=oid%3A34495

This is the coolest thing that has happened to me in a long time, if EVER.
Congrats SG. You might not know exactly who I am, but Im Porschelova over at R7R. We meet at the NOSTR GTG, I had my blue jeep. Although I did properly introduce myself. Im the one who you gave the M2K Foam to. (Thanks a bunch).

Its great that Rccrawling is catching on.

(On another note, how about you stop by at R7R, post up anubis, and say hi. Just when you get that chance. )
Old 08-17-2007, 01:44 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I can't say I'm surprised you're wearing a green shirt and that hat. You green weirdo.

Glad to see you're still active in terms of crawling. And its great you were able to get some much needed information out for a small RC niche.

Cheers,
Torque
Old 08-17-2007, 05:03 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Nice Mike...Great way to get news out about our hobby and Club.

John
Old 08-17-2007, 05:50 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Nice interview, just one suggestion though, and this is as much a racer problem as anything else. There is usually a lot of pride in the vehicle, and the inclination is to talk about how much you've spent (i'm guilty myself) but when someone sees 1000-1200 dollars they run away, you probably could have mentioned how cheaply you could get started, etc. Again, just a suggestion. At the local track, the 1/8 scale guys are always saying how they bought 500 dollar motors and 100 dollar servos and stuff to newer guys and that drives them away from the hobby instead of pulling them in.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMorgan View Post
Nice interview, just one suggestion though, and this is as much a racer problem as anything else. There is usually a lot of pride in the vehicle, and the inclination is to talk about how much you've spent (i'm guilty myself) but when someone sees 1000-1200 dollars they run away, you probably could have mentioned how cheaply you could get started, etc. Again, just a suggestion. At the local track, the 1/8 scale guys are always saying how they bought 500 dollar motors and 100 dollar servos and stuff to newer guys and that drives them away from the hobby instead of pulling them in.
Great point...

The money we spend is because we want to not because we have to. I have seen some very "simple" designs place very well....
Old 08-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

How'd you learn to do all this?

Quote:

Online at www.rccrawler.com and just improvising. I bought a $40 drill press at Big Lots, and a $40 drill press makes a lot of stuff. I've learned so much being into this, about electronics, batteries, the way things operate, different metals. I can weld aluminum now.
There... I fixed it for you. I think it's great you promoting yourself and our sport, but you really should have mentioned this site don't you think? After all you are linking us to them.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
How'd you learn to do all this?

There... I fixed it for you. I think it's great you promoting yourself and our sport, but you really should have mentioned this site don't you think? After all you are linking us to them.
No.

The article is about me and MY hobby, not about YOUR site and YOUR publicity.

About how I learned...It wasn't here. You really shouldn't think of yourself and your site that highly. Its really not that good.

About mentioning money....look around this site. Its all about money. Charge for subscriptions, people throw a ton of money at these trucks. I really don't care about mentioning money. If people are REALLY interested, money isn't going to change their mind. If it does, they weren't interested enough to investigate.

One more time...

This article was about ME and MY hobby and what I'm involved in.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
RCC Addict

ehhh, i think the police blotter would of made a more interesting article.

it's great that you got the word out about crawling a bit,

BUT....

(and i'm by no means a literary genius here...)

the tone that the author had in the article seemed to be a bit on the smart-a$$ side.

i may be reading it wrong, but some of the questions seemed like he truely didn't care, and was just getting his 1000 word (or however many they told him) piece done for the paper.

but, that's just my $0.02...
Old 08-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

2 points:

It's not his site.

You're a conceited prick.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
2 points:

It's not his site.

ahhhh, well said....
Old 08-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
2 points:

It's not his site.

x2! Seriously though man, even if you dind't mention the site why would you come onto the site if you didn't think it was "really that good"? And about it being all about money... I have around 400 in my WK and it is very capable. I have made a ton of my own parts to save money. I am only 21 and just got married about 6 months ago so I don't have a ton of money just lying around. Sure you CAN spend a bunch of money and have a more capable truck, but it is also possible to do it on a budget. It is all about what you WANT to spend.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
One more time...

This article was about ME and MY hobby and what I'm involved in.
Bitter much? So you got your 15 minutes of fame in a small paper. Woohoo. Learn to work on your reading comprehension, rcpcrawlers != rccrawler. Bagging on the website you came to brag to isn't real smart.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
2 points:

It's not his site.

I understand that. Then he shouldn't have made the comment saying that I should have mentioned this site. It wasn't to promote anyone's site, just what I do in my spare time.
------------------------------
con·ceit·ed /Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuhn-see-tid] - Show–adjective 1.having an excessively favorable opinion of one's abilities, appearance, etc.-----------------------------

Yes, I like to think highly of myself.

As do you by thinking your above me by stating that comment.

Again, about the money. I spent a lot on one truck over almost two years. I went all out, and got the best parts and made a lot more. My other truck barely cost me a couple hundred.

What is wrong with all of you guys. The article has a fun aspect to it. It wasn't meant to publicize any site, or product.

So many negative people here.

The reason I posted it here was to show that I enjoy the hobby and want to share it. Nothing else.

A simple "nice article" or "congrats" on making the paper. Would have been fine. Just because it doesn't promote your interest or cater to your liking, does not make it a bad thing.

Last edited by sg219; 08-17-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
What is wrong with all of you guys...

...A simple "nice artilce" or "congrats" on making the paper.
you gotta remeber what crowd you are dealing with here in this community (which i mean this forum), we like to spout off what's on our minds, that's all...

so,

CONGRATS ON MAKING THE F'ING PAPER.....

even though, like i stated in my first post on this topic, i'm not sure that's an article i would want to be showing off to people. the author seemed to be a bit of a dick with the questions...
Old 08-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
you gotta remeber what crowd you are dealing with here in this community (which i mean this forum), we like to spout off what's on our minds, that's all...

so,

CONGRATS ON MAKING THE F'ING PAPER.....

even though, like i stated in my first post on this topic, i'm not sure that's an article i would want to be showing off to people. the author seemed to be a bit of a dick with the questions...
Thanks.

That is fine. That is your opinion of the article. I did not write it.

Just trying to be a nice person and post up something positive, then I get crapped on for doing so.

I like my hobby and am very proud of it!!
Old 08-17-2007, 12:42 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
Everyone's got a big ego behind a keyboard....

SG, congrats on the article! It is good to see the general public interested...
Old 08-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Why should SG have mentioned someone else's site? This site is pretty much filled with flamers and assholes anyway I would have made it a point to not mention the site, anyone that came here would get driven away. Your not going to get into crawling for under $400. If someone was really interested they would find a way to save the money and get a crawler.

As I said over at BP and like everyone else said congrats on the article.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

That's cool about getting rc crawling out there to people that might not know what it is, but that interviewer seemed like a prick! Just from reading his questions/responses make it seem like he didn't want to be there.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Nothing wrong with mentioning the site for people wanting to learn more about RC crawlers.

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 08-17-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Closed Thread