Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: well.... Picked up a Turbo Dodge!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #101
Quarry Creeper

honestly i dont know what tires i got, i just got the cheapest ones, but i noticed when i took the air filter out, i notice there was a section filled with oil, and there was i hose running from the airfilter box to the vavle cover, and i did see the wires that plug into the air ducting, so i guess ill have to experiment with it, and do alot of thinking, but as i type this, the front bumper of the car is off cause im installing 3 air horns, lol, so ill have some pics and a video of that here in a few, but for now here is a short and crappy video of the car before i cleaned it up, listen to the exhaust and how MEAN it sounds!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...c200eeedc0.htm
scalerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #102
Quarry Creeper

ok, well i got my new lights and new air horns installed, let me know what you think

NEW HORNS

NEW LIGHTS

GOTTA REP THAT DODGE!

TIME TO UPDATE, RIGHT?

Old 10-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

That hose from the airbox to the valve cover is the PCV hose, you may have to find a way to attach it to the filter or put a separate filter on it like the K&N filters some companies sell as RC Car air filters. I kinda like the sound of those motors too, especially the early T1's because of the way the TB is positioned before the turbo instead of down stream from it. I was wondering what that screatching sound was though, is the AC compressor or alternator going away on it? You do want to be carefull of just putting cheap tires on those cars (as well as many others) too, if you just bought them for price and didn't pay attention to speed rating or traction you might be in for a surprise! My Lebaron had something called a Gran Prix Radial on it that was only S-Rated for speed (112mph), not only were they a so-so tire when dry, they sucked when wet, and were down right scary at times in the snow and ice too! I went from '95 until '98 when I swapped over to a set of H-Rated (130mph) BF Goodrinch (sp?) Touring TA's that last I saw were only available through Sam's CLub in the stock 205/60/HR15 size and that made the car drive completely different in all conditions including the aformentioned snow and ice that we get here in the Chicago 'Burbs. IIRC Sam's Club won't put a lesser tire on a car if there is a minimum recommended speed rating in the owner's manual. I wouldn't be suprised that if you were to look into it that your car should have the same tire size and speed rating recommendations my Lebaron had (those rims were offered on the later model version of that body style too.)

I'd have to hear the horns ( I'd put it on freight train and use it when cut off in traffic) but I do like the way the driving light look
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #104
Quarry Creeper

thanks, and the guys place i got the tires from said they were great in all weather and conditions, had great handleing, and that they wouldnt break loose or blow out at highspeeds, so idk what i got, and yea im about to go get a video of the horns, and i think the lights look really good one it, but i still have to get it tagged and inspected, lol
Old 10-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #105
Quarry Creeper

so for the PCV hose, ill need something like this?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
Old 10-10-2007, 10:18 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

probably something more like this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029WXRC/...C&linkCode=asn
Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #107
Quarry Creeper

ahh, thanks man, now what about all the plugs that go to the air ducting? what do i do with those?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #108
Quarry Creeper

did this in photoshop, is this what i need to do (scribbles are wires that plig into the ducting

Old 10-11-2007, 12:38 AM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Plugs that go to the air ducting? Unless there were some changes between '85 and '87 on that induction system, it should just be the PCV system that runs to the airbox from the valve cover and the airfeed tube that runs from the underhood computer to the airbox....Oh..wait a minute, the black box with wires that sits just inside the fenderwell next to the battery is the aformentioned underhood computer! That controls some of the basic functions on these motors (fuel and ignition timing and other more basic operations IIRC) so you do not want to remove that! You'll also have an in car engine computer called the logic module that was specific to the earlier turbo motor's EFI system. That handled things once the car was under boost as well as held the MAP sensor (there will be a vaccume line running to it). The non-turbo 2.2/2.5 cars only had that underhood computer and the T2 as well as later T1's had only the under hood computer (then called the SMEC or Single Module Engine Controller.....IIRC). to be honset, I'd try and re-route the filter so it was closer to the computer and then less likely to pick up hot air off the engine and radiator. This engine isn't intercooled and the extra hot air will make the car run weak if the incoming air is already heated prior to being run through the turbo (which, if you didn't already know, also heats up the air as a byproduct of compressing it and some heat soak from the exhaust side of the turbo), especially during teh summer months. While you're still running the draw through induction on the car, take a look at the '87 K-Body Lebaron 4dr in the Chicago-SDAC links I posted, the guy (Jeff C. I can't remember how to say or spell his last name without butchering it) who built that was running an alcohaul injection system for intercooling it before he went to the more easily intercooled Blow-Through induction system on that car several years ago.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #110
Quarry Creeper

so basically im going in the right direction, i just have to move the airfilter to a spot were it wont pick up hot air
Old 10-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalerfreak View Post
so basically im going in the right direction, i just have to move the airfilter to a spot were it wont pick up hot air
That's what my plan was until the rust got really bad.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #112
Quarry Creeper

yea, i just feel better if my cars and a cold air intake, like all the rice boys have, lol, but mines a mopar!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:20 AM   #113
I wanna be Dave

To be honest, I'd put a bigger exhaust before putting atleast a 2.5" exhaust on it first. If you can, do it from the turbo back with a high flow cat if your car has to pass emissions. Alot of the Turbo Dodge guys set theirs up as a side dump like the E-Body Trans-Am cars had, but without the muffler.....or cat for that matter. Just don't go for those cheapy ricer mufflers that most places have since they don't always have a larger or better flowing that what ever your car already has. I had a 3" DynoMax Ultraflow on the Lebaron anf that not only was straight through and smooth perforated, but the internal tube was 4" diameter even though the inlet and outlet were "only" 3"! It was loud though, a deaf friend could literally feel the pressure changes that it caused from nearly a block away Last time I had it in for emissions for the "treadmill" test the car not only shook the booth the car owner's stood in, but it was pretty obvious that the car spooled quickly and started making power in short order
Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #114
Quarry Creeper

haha, wow!

yea im probably gonna get a flowmaster and bring it out right in front of the rear tire, maybe but i will ge the exhaust done for sure, but since im getting this airfilter this weekend for free, i might as well do it first
Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #115
Quarry Creeper

The flow master is the way to go! I miss my 89 pacifica. I'd give you more modding info but I haven't owned that car in 8 years.:-(
CrawlnSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #116
Quarry Creeper

yea, i like this car ALOT!! i love driving it

just one question, how or were do you get those Simpson characters of yourself?

Last edited by scalerfreak; 10-11-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #117
Quarry Creeper

this is exactly why i got my air horns put on the daytona, there even the ones i ordered from

http://www.hornblasters.com/video.php?pic=40
Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlnSlow View Post
The flow master is the way to go! I miss my 89 pacifica. I'd give you more modding info but I haven't owned that car in 8 years.:-(

These little cars sure get into the blood stream, don't they! I scrapped the Lebaron and gave the Shadow away almost 4 years ago and I still get the itch to get another TD every now and then. But then again, I want to set up a Cherokee Briarwood for high performance street use and lead sled a first gen Chrysler LHS too........................
Old 10-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #119
Quarry Creeper

yes they do!, you know if you got a TD, we could always be TD guys of rcc, lol

but yea, did you see the video, i went around town today doing that, its funny as hell i think
Old 10-11-2007, 10:08 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

I did wathc the video on several occasions, I do feal sorry for whoever was walking all those dogs but otherwise I usually get a laugh out of it. I would like to have a set of the real deal though, as in ones off some kind of locomotive! One of the track inspecters Dad worked with always had problems with traffic not letting him go through a road grade crossing if he was on the rails. Since this truck had a large airtank and compressor they took a spare horn for a diesel locomotive and stuck it on this guy's highrail so he could use it when approaching a road grade crossing. When the guy would approach a crossing he give a couple blasts like the locomotives are supposed to under federal law, and traffic would come to a very quick stop!