Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Best first truck for my Wife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Best first truck for my Wife?

My wife has shown a lot of interest in my Wheely king lately, asking repeatedly to drive it. So, I've decided to get her her own ride.

She's not really into crawling, she's more of a basher/jumper. She doesn't have the patience for crawling, it's too slow.

I've got a $100 (or less, hopefully) budget to pick her up a used roller (body, wheels/tires and electronics aren't important... I've got plenty of that stuff, and I'll be doing a new body anyway, and customizing it for her.)

But what to get her to make her really hooked?
I've been looking around and in that price range there are all kinds of things. The cheaper it is the more I can spend on other stuff for it.

Keep in mind she's a horrible rookie driver. This thing WILL crash a LOT!

Blackfoot-Super-King-Xtreme/Monster Beetle/Mud Blaster/Brat: <---Really great first R/C's, but parts availability is a problem.

Lunch Box/Midnight Pumpkin: <--really considering these, but how durable are they when airborne? But I can get a NEW one for under $100.

CC-01, 'Jero, or some such: <---Hard to find, hard to find parts for, and I really doubt they like hang time, some how. But I DO know she likes the looks of them.

Clod: There's no way SHe's getting a clod before me, but if I could find a clod Roller for $100, shecould have my WK.... I know the $100 CLod exists, I've seen them, they're just few and far between.

TLT: would be cool, especially to have the parts if she didn't like it, but I don't know if she'd like the smaller-size truck, and I don't know how much of a beating these things can take in stock form?

'Pede: <---great option with lots of parts available. VERY hard to break.

E-Maxx<--- might be a stretch to find one of these for $100, but I've seen 'em before, but would be a LOT more expensive to get going since there's TWO of everything. But she would LOVE that! (and so would I!)

Wheely king: I dunno if I could find one of these yet for $100, but I could try....

What do you guys think? Got any other suggestions for a good, fast, nearly indestructable off-road truck? I was thinking of truggys and other baja-like stuff (RC10T, Losi XXX-T, etc.), but she likes the whole "Monster Truck" thing and I think a low-slung track-truck would have a hard time coping with the tall grass in my yard.

Help me out here... too many choices...
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Based on her being new and you needing parts availability, plus the durability advantage, I would say go with an E-Maxx.
BlueMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i built MISS TSS a CC-01 (tamiya taureg)
shes the same way too heavy on the throttle trigger for a crawler, more of a rock racer pics of her and her truck are in the vendors section. the great thing is the CC-01 chassis has just been bulit proof yet mega cheap.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I say pede all the way, it has a great rep for being a tough basher. I have a b/l one that takes ALOT of abuse and nothing has broke yet. I also have a emaxx and b/c it's heavier it does break more when hitting things.
D-ran83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

check out tower for the frog it was just rereleased and is a great noob car and they come with a esc for like 130 i think and they share alot of parts with the blackfoot, monster beetle, ect.:-( sorry cant get the link to post
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
Adilynsdad too!

I bought my wife a HPI 5B buggy...
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ran83 View Post
I say pede all the way, it has a great rep for being a tough basher. I have a b/l one that takes ALOT of abuse and nothing has broke yet. I also have a emaxx and b/c it's heavier it does break more when hitting things.
I was thinking the same.........either a pede or a rusty only thing I break is wheel bushings or bearings....I have a habit of smashing them into nothing
5150 Krawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

When I had plans on running b/l I was like O GREAT, I'm gonna need RPM EVERYTHING!. Alot of people were like hey just run it stock then when they beak upgrade to RPM and you may be really suprised how tough stock form is, I bought a RPM bumper which I LOVE and thats been it. It has taken some reaallll rolls tumbles and flys through the air with no breakage!. This is my first b/l system too so I wasn't used to the power on dirt and it's just all over the place bouncing off of things and hitting things cuz it's so hard to control.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
I bought my wife a HPI 5B buggy...
Thats a wee bit out of his price range.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:58 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Pede X2

With an RPM bumper, the darn thing is near indestructable.

Edit: And as one of your concerns mentions, parts are available everywhere.
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #11
CSR
RCC Addict

My wife is getting a AX-10. I'm getting ready to build one for myself.... so we'll build a "his" and "hers". I figure she'll do less damage to everything around the house with a crawler! An E-maxx at full speed can tear up lots of stuff! And would really hurt if she crashed it into herself!
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
[HOONIGAN]

PEDE for sure!!
I love my pede, it's freakin bullit proof it near stock form too. Just get an rpm bumper for it before you even run it though, that thing is a must and will save you almost every time you crash. I just got a mm 5700 and 3 cell a123 packs for my pede, I can't wait to go bash it.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I bought a pede roller for $40, upgraded to all RPM parts and have beaten the crap out of it ever since. The only parts i have trouble with are the kingpins and the rear shocks, but a set of big bores solved the shock problem. Mine is going to be BL soon so i can really spin the paddles on it
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

A pretty big dog, (80lbs) has a habit of Pouncing on mine, biting it, and just picking it up and walking off with it and nothing has broken yet..

Old 10-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I say Pede as well. I have a brushless one that takes an extreme beating. I also have this I built from spare parts.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87137
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

the savage is the best basher. it will give her a challeng trying to break it.
Abednego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:49 AM   #17
Tzi
Quarry Creeper

I used to bash around with a guy who drove a Super Hornet with a nuts 60km/h+ motor in it... and after jumping it on a skate park almost every weekend for a couple of months.. several times 10ft+ in the air and landing on dirt.. nothing much broke.. probably cos it was so light.
The same goes for the Traxxas Bandit (the buggy of the stampede).. the only thing that ever broke on that was a bent shock!!
Tzi is offline   Reply With Quote