Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Things that make you go hmmmm....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Things that make you go hmmmm....

I was driving home from work on I-70 just a mile or two out of Idaho Springs when one of the windows on my car blew out sending glass across the car and peppering the side of my face and neck. Quite unexpected and I nearly shot out into the median as a result of doing my best hide from the bullets impression
Funny thing is I have no clue what caused it and a quick inspection of the floor and seat does not turn up any rocks, BBs, or cast iron skillets, just tempered glass shards. I was not in traffic and the car was recirculating the heater and the stereo was no louder than normal.
In short it looks like fate knew I could not afford this right now and decided to pull a little prank.
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Gettin’ back on the horse

What did you do?

Garbage bag time!:-(
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugzracing View Post
I was driving home from work on I-70 just a mile or two out of Idaho Springs when one of the windows on my car blew out sending glass across the car and peppering the side of my face and neck. Quite unexpected and I nearly shot out into the median as a result of doing my best hide from the bullets impression
Funny thing is I have no clue what caused it and a quick inspection of the floor and seat does not turn up any rocks, BBs, or cast iron skillets, just tempered glass shards. I was not in traffic and the car was recirculating the heater and the stereo was no louder than normal.
In short it looks like fate knew I could not afford this right now and decided to pull a little prank.
What kind of car is it you have.. I will look and see if we have one in our yard that doesnt need a window..
DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
I'm a stupid C U N T!

tempered glass is kinda funny like that, its always under tension by its design and sometimes some minor flaw that can't be seen will finally give and poof shower of 1/4x1/4 glass pieces. good thing is when it breaks it has very few sharp edges they don't call it safety glass for nothing
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
MODERHATER™

I had that happen driving a Chevy truck once, no reason, out of nowhere POP!! Worst part it was in Febuary in one of our -10 weeks. BRRRRR!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

yea what year is it slugz? I have a few sources up here, might be able to get ya hooked up on the cheap
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKHORSE View Post
What kind of car is it you have.. I will look and see if we have one in our yard that doesnt need a window..
Thanks for the offer but I don't think it would ship very well to Colorado

666, you were driving a chevy. They are known for trying to kill their occupants

Slowrocker, it is a 96 legacy wagon (power windows)
Old 10-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I'll make a couple calls tomorrow
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrockr View Post
I'll make a couple calls tomorrow
I appreciate it. I will be dong the same if I can break away from work for a couple minutes
Old 10-30-2007, 09:13 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I just had a window on my hard top get blown out. I climbed in and shut the door and "BOOM!" It blew out... but I know why. Earlier in the day my uncle was driving his backhoe by and it blew out one of the large rear tires and it shot rocks everywhere, actually got one of the house windows too.

2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:27 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

i know this will happen with the rear window on early fords with rear defrost. the window just kinda shatters.
joehein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:09 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

ya my buddies dads new powerstroke did that on the front pass. window, i told him it was because i blew past him in my chev! haha
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:53 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Sorry that happened to you slugz.

I got a story for you, I was driving a 95 ford V10 extended van for work, going west through the Eisenhower tunnel. It was a very windy day, the wind could push the van into the other lane every once in a while, hard to control. I was cussing mother nature and telling her to give me her best shot, had a bad attitude that day. As I came out of the tunnel doing around 80 miles an hour down to dillon, I caught a flash out of my left eye, with no time to react, the window blew up in my face, all my car magazines that were on the dash went flying in the air and the stereo flew out of the dash onto the floor. I was able to keep control and brake to a stop at the side of the road.
Lucky I was wearing glasses because the impact was so hard the fragments from the windshield were like dust.
Turns out a c-dot sign on the center median snapped at the base of the post and flew into the front windshield sideways like a knife edge. If the A pillar would have given way it would have cut my head off before I even knew what happened. Lucky me it didn't, the post rammed the A pillar which spun the sign out of the window/dash area, then spun the trunk of the post back into the side of the van, which punctured a basketball size hole into it, then it ricocheted across the highway into the eastbound lanes. No cars were coming east when that happened, lucky them. When I pulled over and got out to figure what the heck happened, a motorist was dragging the sign off the highway.

You should have heard the 911 operator stutter when I told her what happen, it was classic. Needless to say, I don't curse Mother Nature anymore.
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:07 AM   #14
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

look for porcelain like a little piece of broken spark plug or something like that. i had an old Rx-7 back in the day with a sub box in plain view. turns out someone wanted more than i, they punched both locks with no success. then proceeded to break the rear bubble window with a tiny piece of spark plug porcelain. no sign of anything when the cops came, then one of them found it and showed it to me, and mentioned about how this was an old trick. i think the sound that the piece makes matches the resonance of the tempered glass and boom! kinda like the opera singer braking the champagne glass with her voice.
or you Just got the trick and no treat.........sucks man especially where you live.i dont think a trash bag will cut it, yo.
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
As I came out of the tunnel doing around 80 miles an hour down to dillon
Hey I used to live right there - in the grey apartments right beside the eastbound lanes of 70.

That's a crazy story dude. You were in the exact wrong place at the exact wrong time, how twisted is that? Sounds like it could have been much worse...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:25 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

yea, porcelain is weird like that..

it is the harmonic resonance thats created..

just get it wet and the lightest toss will go straight threw a window..

pretty cool, unless your being ripped off that is..
crawls2thewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #17
[HOONIGAN]

Dang slugz, that sucks. You just have no luck these past couple of months.

Maybe it has something to do with the mad rally racing we did in Moab, there was definitely quite a few really loud bangs.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:35 PM   #18
MODERATOR™

Ain't got the nads to try to glue it all back together?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:36 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

About 6 months ago I was driving down I-10 at about 2AM with my driver side window down and a rock flew into my car and hit me directly between the eyes. The rock was no larger than a pebble, but I was doing about 70mph. Needless to say, it split me wide open:-( I had blood all over my shirt when I got home.
tsaun987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:13 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker View Post

Maybe it has something to do with the mad rally racing we did in Moab, there was definitely quite a few really loud bangs.
I still have not fixed the exhaust That bailing wire is working like a charm!

EEpee, I started to but then I ran out of super glue so I had to dig out my tire glue. That got to the end but there was one little piece missing so it was thrown out:-(