Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Damn Deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Damn Deer

Dad and I have had close calls in the past couple days. I was driving home from the gym and was coasing up to a stop light when I saw something moving across the road. Luckily I had slowed down enough that I wasn't very close to where it crossed, but did give me a mild scare. Then early this morning Dad was on his way to take a class and saw a shadow running across the road from the headlights of an oncoming vehicle, another deer. Dad has both feet trompping down on the brakes and only gave the thing a slight tap and was nearly rear ended by somebody following him a little too close and fast!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2007, 07:03 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

HIT THE DEER!!! DONT be a butt#@$* and cause a wreck trying to save bambi.... DO NOT SWERVE dont tromp the brakes to a squeeling stop, HIT IT. YOUR INSURED FOR A REASON. Most insurance companies consider hitting a deer an act of god, but swerving into a ditch is failure to control
Rok_Dok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:19 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok_Dok View Post
HIT THE DEER!!! YOUR INSURED FOR A REASON. Most insurance companies consider hitting a deer an act of god, but swerving into a ditch is failure to control
In this day and age with insurance companies taking any little excuse they can to ditch out on your claim and save themselves some money, that's probably not bad advice - if your policy definitely covers such things...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Yeah, great advice! When it goes through the windshield and takes you out, you won't ever have to worry about hitting a deer again. It ain't about saving bambi, but yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok_Dok View Post
HIT THE DEER!!! DONT be a butt#@$* and cause a wreck trying to save bambi.... DO NOT SWERVE dont tromp the brakes to a squeeling stop, HIT IT. YOUR INSURED FOR A REASON. Most insurance companies consider hitting a deer an act of god, but swerving into a ditch is failure to control
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

UMMM its the difference between your car being wrecked and a dead deer (insurance pays to fix) premiums not going up and no citation by the police
OR
Your swerving hitting another car/driving into a ditch, failure to maintain fine issued by police, premiums going up on your policy and the deer able to do the same move again.

MOST of the time your windshield would deflect 80% of the energy and the other 20% absorbed by the window cracking and the roof collapsing.

Your still better off/safer hitting the deer
Rok_Dok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

This is why I drive a full size pick-up... a deer isn't going to do much more than bend the bumper...

around here though, there are a heck of a lot bigger things to worry about than deer

a friend of mine hit a moose in a honda civic... moose came down on the roof of the car, and crushed his spine... He's a quadraplegic now...
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I killed bambi once, my girlfriend at the time never forgave me! In my '87 Accord. Luckily it was a small deer so it didn't do too much damage, and I was going slow. I saw a few deer dart across the road, so I started looking for others, and once I decided there were no more deer, I started to speed back up (got to 30mph) and BLAM-O, my hood gets a permanent Bambi shaped dent. I guess that's what you get for being the slow one, eh?

I hate it when people swerve for squirrels and rabbits, just hit those stupid things, they most they'll do it get our tires bloody, but a DEER is a different story. Those things will F you up! So unless you're driving an 18 wheeler, or a M1-A1 Tank, try to avoid the deer, and remember, if you see one crossing the road, there's ALWAYS another one behind that one, so slow down and watch out.

Also, I'm pretty sure when a deer jumps into the road, the first thing that people think of isn't "Hmm, will my insurance cover this?", it's "Oh SH!T, a deer! I hope I don't die!"

Ok, I've gotten my daily PSA out of the way...

Last edited by jbrandt; 10-31-2007 at 10:25 AM.
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
Yeah, great advice! When it goes through the windshield and takes you out, you won't ever have to worry about hitting a deer again. It ain't about saving bambi, but yourself.
That's my thoughts too, plus it would have been the other guys fault to some extent because he was following too close and/or driving too fast for conditions.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
I killed bambi once, my girlfriend at the time never forgave me! In my '87 Accord. Luckily it was a small deer so it didn't do too much damage, and I was going slow. I saw a few deer dart across the road, so I started looking for others, and once I decided there were no more deer, I started to speed back up (got to 30mph) and BLAM-O, my hood gets a permanent Bambi shaped dent. I guess that's what you get for being the slow one, eh?

I hate it when people swerve for squirrels and rabbits, just hit those stupid things, they most they'll do it get our tires bloody, but a DEER is a different story. Those things will F you up! So unless you're driving an 18 wheeler, or a M1-A1 Tank, try to avoid the deer, and remember, if you see one crossing the road, there's ALWAYS another one behind that one, so slow down and watch out.

Ok, I've gotten my daily PSA out of the way...
Did that with the Shadow Turbo Coupe I used to own, boht me and Bambi were on ice and I slid in him and he fell on the hood of the car when I knocked his feet out from under him. Only bent up hte hood, knocked out the grill and broke a headlight adjuster. The hoods for the 87-88 Turbo's are a real pita to find, I gave up on it and just fixed the adjuster then drove the car until I killed the motor in it.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Great advice! Wanna see what can happen if you do? (not for the fainthearted!): http://autoplay.ru/2007/10/22/dzhip_...nja_zhest.html

And if you're lucky: http://www.spynet.ru/2007/10/30/bmw-...oto-zhest.html

Last edited by Micropuller; 10-31-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Micropuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:47 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I was told by a cop friend that if you know you are going to hit the deer to stomp on the GAS! this will cause the deer to be deflected up over the car and not go through the windshield.
ON THE FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:00 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

When I was up in WI a couple weeks ago I was coming around a turn on a downhill on sand at about 30 (on my atv) theres Bambi standing in the middle of the trail.....I nailed the brakes slid the ATV sideways, got stopped just as I tapped the deer. The dang thing just snorts at me and walks off.
Squirrles znd rabbits, Ill move over in the lane maybe tap the brakes but Ive seen too many people killed trying to avoid thumper (and they usually hitting it anyway) A deer I will hit the brakes, swerve to a point but, always know your surroundings and realize what the softer object is (tree vs Deer) Sometimes its better to hit the ditch than it is to hit the deer and then loose control possibly causing a larger accident (lets say Miata versus deer) Other times its better to hit the deer and have some meat in the freezer (you can start the roadkill jokes now). I would say in your case and your dads case, you both drive XJ's I would have tried to avoid the deer to a point but in your vehicles it wouldnt have done that much damage (and then you could have had me over for deer steak!!!!)
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:28 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micropuller View Post
Great advice! Wanna see what can happen if you do? (not for the fainthearted!): http://autoplay.ru/2007/10/22/dzhip_...nja_zhest.html

And if you're lucky: http://www.spynet.ru/2007/10/30/bmw-protiv-olenja-6-foto-zhest.html
That was freaking nasty man, holy deer.
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I think the biggest thing I've have to worry about is getting mine written off by the insurance comapany instead of fixed, Dad was driving his '01 F150 company truck (that POS-150 wouldn't have been much loss there, unless they replaced it with something like a Ridgline or same gen extended or super cab Ford!) Now if had been his '90 XJ, I'm not sure how well the rust would have held up to the impact (It's got that WreckedIt..errr..Bendix 4 wheel ABS that CC LLC has been talking up in their Jeep ads and you have to plan your stops a day or two in advance:-()
Old 10-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micropuller View Post
Great advice! Wanna see what can happen if you do? (not for the fainthearted!):
Ahahaha....I was thinking about those pics as I posted. As for mashing the brakes and getting rear ended, that's a possibility, but at least you would not be at fault. Insurance wise, no collision/damage here, so hitting things is not a good option.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:58 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

My best friend hit a moose one time mountain biking. Came steamin' around a corner real fast in the lead and there's momma moose with her 2 calves. She's standing right across the trail there's nowhere else to really evade to and THUMP he runs right smack into her. Could'nt stop in time. She did'nt even flinch, and he said it felt like he hit a brick wall. She got pissed and chased him 20 or 30 yards up the fall-line, then suddenly turned and went back down and stood RIGHT OVER his bike, straddling it! And I sh!t you not she would'nt leave for 20 minutes! It was like she was thinkin' "well, screw chasing this guy, I know he's coming back for this shiny metal thing so I'll just wait for him". Finally she wandered off after the calves who had moved off downhill somewhere, but it took her a while to get going. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen a wild animal do...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:55 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
Ahahaha....I was thinking about those pics as I posted. As for mashing the brakes and getting rear ended, that's a possibility, but at least you would not be at fault. Insurance wise, no collision/damage here, so hitting things is not a good option.
Well, the guy behind Dad was running a little fast, so he would have been ticketed in he had hit Dad.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:10 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

My mom hit one few years back and F##ked up her cadillac after trying to swerve and avoid the deer. Cost a few thousand dollars to fix. Now my step dad wants to get a deer killing front bumper for her Jeep. Just to avoid damage to another car. His thinking is next time just plow into it and let the steel bumper take care of the rest
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:15 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

If I was going to go that route on my XJ, I'd look at an ARB bar.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:16 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

That is what they are looking at it's for a liberty
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote