Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 1989 doge cummins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat1 View Post
The early to mid 80s bowties were complete junk when it came to powertrains. Need to get into the early 70s to get a bowtie P/U that actually had any power.
Its not that my Chevy is hurting for power(which it isnt), its that I can make way more power and get twice the millage that I am now with the Cummins. Not only that, but it will make my Chevy even more unique, I mean how many early 80's Chevy's do you see with a 5.9L Cummins in them? the truck i found that has the engine and tranny in it is about 1.5 hours from me, could someone take a quick measurement for me off their Cummins. i just need to know what the total length of the block is, the height, and the width, I've looked everywhere but cant find those measurements.
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by '83 chevy View Post
Its not that my Chevy is hurting for power(which it isnt), its that I can make way more power and get twice the millage that I am now with the Cummins. Not only that, but it will make my Chevy even more unique, I mean how many early 80's Chevy's do you see with a 5.9L Cummins in them? the truck i found that has the engine and tranny in it is about 1.5 hours from me, could someone take a quick measurement for me off their Cummins. i just need to know what the total length of the block is, the height, and the width, I've looked everywhere but cant find those measurements.

Don't worry I am also a bowtie fan as I have built up a few chev p/us. I would liek to know how you plan on getting better milage out of a gasser then a pumped up 12 V cummins though. I have personally seen 22+ mpg using the trusty calculator out of 12 V cummins while pulling a 28 ft trailer with a 2 wd dodge dakota E cab on it. Best I ever seen out of a chev gasser is about 18 empty while staying out of the secondaries.

Gassers are fun and all but it is just hard to beat a well tuned cummins for power and economy. Been there and done both.

I can tell you that it will take up most of the length of the engine compartment to shoe horn an inline 6 5.9 into the bowtie. That and you better have some healthy springs on the front as the 5.9 cummins is a heavy bugger.

I would go measure it up for you but I no longer have a diesel in my fleet.
Rat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat1 View Post
I would liek to know how you plan on getting better milage out of a gasser then a pumped up 12 V cummins though.
You have what i was thinking backwards, I want to swap out the 350 for the Cummins since its gets twice the millage I'm getting now out of the 350.

And about the springs, when I decide to swap in the Cummins, I plan on putting the original 14 bolt rear, and I think Dana 44 front(might decide to put in a D60 instead) back in, so it will still have the 3/4 ton 4" lift springs in the front. They'll handle it, I hung an 8' plow off the front recently and it held it fine, and if it don't then its getting 1 ton springs

Last edited by '83 chevy; 12-23-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:49 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Yeah they should be up to the task.

I quess I miss understood your post as the way it read it sounded like you got better milage out of the gasser. Oh well.

Have fun with your project.
Rat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #25

This is gonna be an awesome truck! The old 12 valves are hard to beat. IMHO, '94-'98.5 Where the best. Still the old, mechanical 12 valve, but with the P7100 IP, capable of really big HP #'s. My diesel teacher has a '91 dually that he's done some pump work on, along with POD's, and some other mods. He say's it'll light up all 4 rear tires in like 3rd. Estimated at 500+ HP in an alomst stock truck. He said it got about 21 MPG one time hauling a G/N. Now that's a truck! We also have an early '00's 24v puller in the shop now that has been converted to a P7100. The IC has been removed, and replaced with WMI. Awesome trucks.
RCpullerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

I found this rig for sale here, hows she look to ya. 1993 W350 Cummins, has Bully Dog injectors,fuel pin,14cm turbo housing with waste gate,water/meth injection,5" stacks, 6" lift,35" tires, and a turned up pump, tranny has been rebuilt by northeast performance diesel. He said he woudl consider an even trade for my Chevy. should I or no
Old 12-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

If you can bring yourself to trade your truck, go for it.
Mello_Yello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I think im going to, that Cummins is putting out some serious power, and i just cant say no to that. Not to mention, it'll be the biggest and baddest truck in the lot at school
Old 12-28-2007, 06:34 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

this is my friends truck, his truck rules the highschool parking lot... here comes the NASTYNESS
savageracer312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:02 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by '83 chevy View Post
Found one here for sale, think Im gonna buy it, anyone else have one, if so how do you like it?
hey man, i currently have 2 of the first gen dodge cummins rigs. first one is a 91 non intercooled motor. has about 240K on it. wonderful truck. pulling 22ft trailer with 1966 mercury on it (2+tons), still got 19 mpg on the interstate at 55. great truck till the auto pooped out on it. getting ready to do a 5speed conversion on it. 2nd truck is a 93 xtd cab intercooled td, 5speed unit. it has 640K ++? on it. odometer broke at 628xxx something. that was 2 years ago. pulling a load, milage sucks, need to do a inframe on it. empty i am getting 22-23mpg on the interstate drafting a big rig. mpg SUCKS when i hook up to any kind of big load. drops off to 12-15 QUICKLY. overall, their a GREAT unit. i absolutely prefer the 5speed to the slipomatic. cant keep a slipo in my 91. unfortunately my 93 STILL has the getrag g360 in it. if you end up with one with a getrag in it, by all means, first thing, drain the tranny juice, replace it with the proper juice and overfill it by at least a quart. the getrags were NORTORIOUS for lubrication issues.

==============
@ dittohead
Quote:
y boss just payed $5k for a 89 4x4 250 dodge with a cummins for a new work truck, and it is hands down the slowest diesel i have ever driven. It will barely get out of its own way. There is definitely something wrong with it, but it starts and drives so my boss doesnt want me to look at it. Where do i start on the diagnosis? I figured fuel filter/air filter, and make sure the turbo isnt siezed.
what kind of miles are on it? id do the filters you got in mind, next as general maintenance, id get the valves adjusted. need to do the overhead every 100K or so i have been told on several occasions. mine is past overdue for it.
BiLLy bOb
BiLLy bOb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:19 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

The 93 has a 727/205 combo in it.