Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 1989 doge cummins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 1989 doge cummins

Found one here for sale, think Im gonna buy it, anyone else have one, if so how do you like it? The guy only wants $4500 for it. Plan on building a bad ass diesel(stacks,turn up the pump, all that good stuff).
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

buy it, like go out right now and get it then once you do that blow all the black smoke you can!
savageracer312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageracer312 View Post
buy it, like go out right now and get it then once you do that blow all the black smoke you can!
I already gave him a $500 deposit on it, so it isn't going anywhere. Just need my current truck to sell, which shouldn't be too much of a challenge, I parked it at the bottom of my driveway and within 10 minutes I had 2 people call who are interested in it.

Oh and the smoke, yep I plan on blowing as much of it as I can, need to show up my dads Duramax.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

when you get it take some pics of the smoke... black smoke gives me a chubby
Old 12-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

sounds like my high school auto shop. All us diesel owners would have a soot contest. This one kids f 250 would blow so much soot that we all chipped in and bought him a licence plate that said "peeuuu!"
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapegoat View Post
sounds like my high school auto shop. All us diesel owners would have a soot contest. This one kids f 250 would blow so much soot that we all chipped in and bought him a licence plate that said "peeuuu!"
thats how our highschool is, if it aint diesel it aint a truck
Old 12-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

You lucky F$$ker. That's exactly the truck i want to buy once i get out of school. Though i'm sure our purposes are completely different (you want to blow smoke out of a set of stacks, which i admire; me, i want to have the stacks and the engine mods, but run it on veggie oil. Yeah, go ahead, call me a hippie! :-P It's free fuel, damnit!)
mulletman427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman427 View Post
You lucky F$$ker. That's exactly the truck i want to buy once i get out of school. Though i'm sure our purposes are completely different (you want to blow smoke out of a set of stacks, which i admire; me, i want to have the stacks and the engine mods, but run it on veggie oil. Yeah, go ahead, call me a hippie! :-P It's free fuel, damnit!)
yeah, thats not free. First you need the kit to make it, then you need all the lye and methanol, so many people are doing it now that you can't just drop by your local grill and pick up some oil for free. Then you have to go through a PITA proccess to make it. After all that, you need to add it too your truck gradually and get ready to smell like french fry's.
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:17 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Ok Ill go first with the Pics......This is a truck we built for some spoiled rotten 20 year old kid. Motor receipts alone add up to about 20K. For as big as this thing is, it will boil the 37's like nothing.
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal 2500HD View Post
Ok Ill go first with the Pics......This is a truck we built for some spoiled rotten 20 year old kid. Motor receipts alone add up to about 20K. For as big as this thing is, it will boil the 37's like nothing.
i think your engine blew
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

ahhh 12 valve mechanicals... theyre beautiful engines. bigger nozzles, delivery valves, lines, aftermarket pumps, turbos, theres sooo much you can do to those engines!
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:11 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I just got an 08 cummins and It will run without being turned up. I plan on a few mods soon though. I can from the factory with the edge 3 stage chip. On stage 3 it makes somewhere around 600 horses and ungodly amounts of torque.
curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default That truck is even an old school Cummins

Correct me if I am wrong but an 89 would be one of the real nasty 5.9s. Inline six, pistons the size of Foldgers cans, and that gentle "Klick-Klack" that makes all good little boys just smile, and the Nieghbors cry about Noise polution. I had a 79 F350 I swapped in a early powerstroke on. I actually had to move out of my townhouse to keep it. Ah well, I miss that thing now. Good luck with your soot monster
carcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Yep 89 was the first year they came with the Cummins, they only make about 160 hp but over 400 ft/lbs of torque. cant wait.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Well now Im pissed, the guy sold the truck even after I gave him the deposit. It sucks, but I already have found another truck(1991), but i dont want it for the entire truck since its only a 2wd and the guy only want $800 for it, with 180k on it bu the thinks it needs an injection pump). Gonna take the engine and tranny out of it, and either do a swap into my current truck(chevy) or my dads old truck(78 dodge). This way i get to keep my current truck(it was gonna be hard to let it go) i can swap out the gas engine for the diesel, get twice the millage and still build as carcrafter called it, a "soot monster"

Last edited by '83 chevy; 12-22-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrafter View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but an 89 would be one of the real nasty 5.9s. Inline six, pistons the size of Foldgers cans, and that gentle "Klick-Klack" that makes all good little boys just smile, and the Nieghbors cry about Noise polution.

yes and they're still inline 6s...
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #17
RCC Addict

My boss just payed $5k for a 89 4x4 250 dodge with a cummins for a new work truck, and it is hands down the slowest diesel i have ever driven. It will barely get out of its own way. There is definitely something wrong with it, but it starts and drives so my boss doesnt want me to look at it. Where do i start on the diagnosis? I figured fuel filter/air filter, and make sure the turbo isnt siezed. It also has an exhaust leak, which i know drastically affects the turbo's performance. My boss wants me to put a snowplow on it but there is no way it could push snow as it is now. My 1996 PSD crewcab will run circles around this dodge, and its no hotrod by any means-bone stock with over 300k on it.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:08 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Default LOL soot monster is oldschool.

My dad always used to scream about the Soot monsters when I was growing up. The 78 would be my choice. The frame is probibly really similar and the older you go the more the Coolness factor goes up. My 79 was uglier then sin (78-79 fords are the prettiest trucks built IMO) rusty and I could leave her unlocked whenever I wanted, but when I opened the hood and people saw the cleaned up old Powerstroke in something that old I always got thumbs up. More then my bigblock camper special I restored. you will have best of both worlds if dad agrees and your bowtie. 1982 was a good year I was born then.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:10 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default oops

guess it is a 83 I am older then your truck and probibly you and a good chunk of all newbies too. Sigh
Old 12-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

The early to mid 80s bowties were complete junk when it came to powertrains. Need to get into the early 70s to get a bowtie P/U that actually had any power.

I perfer the mid to late 60s as that is the era in which I was born.

Them early 12V cummins were great motors with alot of potential for building a heck of alot more power then the new emission engines.

I had a mechanical 12 V cummins in my FL 70 Freightshaker and It would pull a fully loaded (3 chev suburbans 4x4s) down the road with ease and still make mid teens for fuel economy. Cut back the fuel plate, install larger injectors, better turbo, bump the timing, smooth out the exhaust and get more intake airflow and let her buck.

We kept ours at around 330 rear wheel HP spinning 22.5 lp duals.
Rat1 is offline   Reply With Quote