Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: What has rc crawling come too..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 03:50 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

i been here for a while, not as long as others, and you know what, i still have hardly anything cause i dont have any money to build with, doesnt mean im a newb, means ive had more time to learn and come up with my own ideas.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

I would qualify as a noob on this forum, even though I have been fabing stuff from before I went to scool many moons ago. I do not have any expensive equipment. Everything I do, I do with a cheap drill press, a secondhand belt sander, a cheap rotary tool, some metal files, and other basic hand tools. In day to day life I found allot of kids starting in rc want to be spoon fed. I see this mostly at the race track. I have missed several races due to ignorent little snot nosed spoilt mall junkies, and thier dads, that can't tighten a damn screw. I don't think it is a lack of skill, just too damn lazy and the fear of dying from dirt on thier soft little girly hands.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:17 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

I've been crawling for a long time. I discovered this place in '05 which sent my crawling hobby into overdrive.

Who cares if there are new people? Where did you start.

I started 1:1 in a 2.8 liter s10 blazer, blue with a red hood. It was the worst.

Newcomers are good, and RTR's are the best thing that good happen to rc crawling. I would love to have more parts on which to base crawlers.

You're right about one thing, however, you definitely don't need to follow the instructions.

Cuban b
I was born ready to run
cuban b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #24
RCC Addict

i'm a noob here! what's this crawling stuff you guys speak of? i have a tamiya tt-01 that i want to convert into a mud truck. what is a search engine? who makes that engine, o.s., traxxas, novarossi, etc.?
chino438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #25
MWRCA'er

There are good newbs and some of you guys are them. It's users that create threads to ask where to place a esc on the chassis. It's like they can't think for themselfs. I mean back in the day we had nothing, everyone knew nothing, we experimented with a hacksaw and we made it into something. We tuned and tuned until we got somewhere. As a result we learned more then someone that strolls into a hobby shop and assembles a kit or picks a RTR with the throught process already complete for them.

You can be in the r/c hobby or a machinist for years and not know the tricks or tips of crawling unless you get enough time to experiment with one. Don't worry you won't be newbs forever.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy View Post

Damm straight!

Your not really an OG you just joined in 04 and went inactive for a few years and came back.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleOne View Post
The OG's? you joined in 06. The real OG's joined in 04
I guess I'm an OG. Join date '04.

If you think the noob's are bad here, go to Clod****, OOP's, they don't have noob's, it's stagnant.
bbyrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy View Post
The Ax10 is only the beginning.
the AX10 is one of the best things that has happened to rc crawling... it was about time there was a mass produced "crawler" specific axle made and the tranny isnt so bad ether.... no more having use "toy" grade axles.... as for an RTR being produced, I believe its coming very soon and yes it will be a scary thing

oh and is Apirl 2005 "OG" enough??
HauntFreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntFreaks.com View Post
the AX10 is one of the best things that has happened to rc crawling... it was about time there was a mass produced "crawler" specific axle made and the tranny isnt so bad ether.... no more having use "toy" grade axles.... as for an RTR being produced, I believe its coming very soon and yes it will be a scary thing

oh and is Apirl 2005 "OG" enough??
Since when were Clod axles and TLT axles "toy grade"?
Old 12-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

I think the axial crawler was great its helping this hob by grow very fast.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

What you are seeing now in crawling is the result of the last 15 years of R/C in general.

RTR's are to blame. When I got into RC in the early 80's you had to build everything. Doing so, you understood the basics of how it worked and what was needed to repair or upgrade them.

All this RTR BS ruined it. I hang out at the LHS and watch customer after customer walk in and whine about how their RTR whatever doesn't work and they have no idea why?

It's usually something simple like the switch being off, a wire being disconnected, or a simple rod end being broke.

But they just can't figure out how to fix it because they didn't build the damn thing!

You think it's bad now, wait until Traxxas smells the blood in the water and introduces a RTR Crawler!:-(

That will truely be a sad day!

At least the Axial is a kit!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

this is goin g to get ugly, but... they have always been... lets see anyone comp. ether one of those without huge mods made... anyone using a TLT , and doing well in comps. will be more or less just using the plastic halfs and they will be moded also. ... you can get a ax10 axle kit, throw it in any comp rig and you would be good to go.... try that with a stock set of TLT axles...

LET THE FLAMING BEGIN!!!!... LOL
Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
What you are seeing now in crawling is the result of the last 15 years of R/C in general.

RTR's are to blame. When I got into RC in the early 80's you had to build everything. Doing so, you understood the basics of how it worked and what was needed to repair or upgrade them.

All this RTR BS ruined it. I hang out at the LHS and watch customer after customer walk in and whine about how their RTR whatever doesn't work and they have no idea why?

It's usually something simple like the switch being off, a wire being disconnected, or a simple rod end being broke.

But they just can't figure out how to fix it because they didn't build the damn thing!

You think it's bad now, wait until Traxxas smells the blood in the water and introduces a RTR Crawler!:-(

COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF!!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 04:54 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
In day to day life I found allot of kids starting in rc want to be spoon fed. I see this mostly at the race track. I have missed several races due to ignorent little snot nosed spoilt mall junkies, and thier dads, that can't tighten a damn screw. I don't think it is a lack of skill, just too damn lazy and the fear of dying from dirt on thier soft little girly hands.
DAMN STRAIGHT! You hit the nail on the head.
I have been at races on several occasions where kids new to racing will just come right up to me, more likely because I have a short stature and look their age (I am only 15) and I am messing around with my high dollar Mugen buggy, and they see that, think "hmm, he can probably help me", and will ask me questions like, "how do you start these things, is there a button?"
And their parents just bought them the best nitro buggy that money can buy with all of the extras.
And so I help them, but I dont do anything for them, I just say, "you have to pull on the pull starter while you have a glow ignitor on the glow plug, etc, etc," and then they ask can you do it please so I can see how its done, and they usually have an impatient look on their face by now, and I tell them no, I just showed you, and walk off.

Sometimes I wonder what kind of people their parents are, to let their kid grow up like that, and expect other people to do stuff for them.

I had to work my @$$ off to get that Mugen MBX5 buggy, and then some snot nosed kid goes in a hobby store, begs and pleads, and he gets the buggy and doesnt even know how to use it.

I would just love to work in my LHS, then I could convince the parents of every bratty kid who wants some $600 Losi 8ight to just buy the kid a little tiny Micro-T, just to see the pissed off look on the kids face when he doesnt get what he wants.

And by no means am I an OG. I learn new stuff on here just about every day. Hell, I have had my NN super class crawler finished now for over 9 months, and I am still modding stuff, and I still cant even drive it that well. And then these kids come into crawling and expect the crawler to go up the living room walls. They want instant gratification, and that just DOES NOT HAPPEN in crawling. But I also think RTR's a good way to expand the hobby, but on the other hand, I think that it lets too many people in who want everything to work the way they want it to and right now. And the sad thing is, that has already happened in regular RC.

And one thing I have though about, and although it would not be really great for the companies who would make an RTR crawler, but I think they should make a very limited amount of RTR crawlers, like the AX-10, to keep these out of the hands of brat kids who want it right now and want it to do everything right now. But unfortunately, that wont happen, and crawling will explode like a nuclear bomb soon, and the people who made crawling big and the people who are really good at it (like alot of the OG's on here) will become a rare breed, just like profesional RC racers who actually know what the hell they are doing. And that will leave crawling innovations up to the manufacturers, and that is a very scary though.

Last edited by Krawlin; 12-29-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Krawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:54 PM   #35
06 Super National Champ

In late 2004 Jason and I were having a discussion about how long it'd take to have crawler kits from a major manufacturer, factory teams, etc.

I predicted two to three years...

I was right - glad too!
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:55 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntFreaks.com View Post
this is goin g to get ugly, but... they have always been... lets see anyone comp. ether one of those without huge mods made... anyone using a TLT , and doing well in comps. will be more or less just using the plastic halfs and they will be moded also. ... you can get a ax10 axle kit, throw it in any comp rig and you would be good to go.... try that with a stock set of TLT axles...

LET THE FLAMING BEGIN!!!!... LOL
Naw, it's all good, but people who are comping, NOT ALL, but most will upgrade the axial axles at some point, I know I will, eventually.

Put out the FLAMES. No Flamers allowed.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

AMEN!

I work in a hobby store. And own some very high end stuff. I have never bought a RTR Vehicle. I get a kick out of building stuff. Probably the reason i didnt go with a ax 10 ( not bashing this rig at ALL) Ill probably end up with one to COMP in the 2.2 series here in colorado.

When the ax 10 first came out, i got a lot of belly achers. 260.00 for a rolling kit! Thats a rip off.
Quietly under my breath I would respond with, try to race competive 8th scale buggy and we shall chat.
This day and age people want to go home, take the vehicle out of the box and play.
When i tell them the battery has to be charged, or the engine has to be broken in on a nitro
They look at me in dis belief.

I believe the RTR craze has helped/hurt this hobby. Alot of kids especially will get a t maxx play with it, and break in, and sell it dirt cheap. Ive come across some ridiciliously good deals on stuff with broken A arms
crawlin_incolorado83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #38
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:

X3!

Our local mom and pop hobby store has a service department!?!?!?!?!
I am sorry, BWTF? A service department?!?! I couldn't believe it. Just like Dezfan wrote, people come in all the time and drop there RTR's off to have them serviced. They have a chart on the wall that explains the charges for each service performed. Nitro break in, RTR repairs, tranny servicing, they got it all covered. It's ridiculous. I started with a Blackfoot and worked my way up to a RC10. 17 years later I am still into RC and now my kids are interested in it.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:03 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Nice to see atleast a couple people got the point..I think the ax10 is great. I just bought the axles and use them on my rig and got rid of the tlts. It's the guys that don't even want to think about how to put the wheel back on there rtr truck they bought.
D-ran83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:13 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ran83 View Post
Nice to see atleast a couple people got the point..I think the ax10 is great. I just bought the axles and use them on my rig and got rid of the tlts. It's the guys that don't even want to think about how to put the wheel back on there rtr truck they bought.
Is it righty tighty, lefty loosey?