Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: What has rc crawling come too..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #81

I guess the only RTR in the entire industry I don't like is Traxxas' VXL line. Its a great line of products for a great price, but it gets a little old seeing posts on other forums where someone buys their first car and its a VXL. They get it and a 3s Lipo and go out for their first time and hit a tree going 60+ totalling it and then get on the forums flaming about how "delicate" it is. :P

Our local hobby store now refuses to solder lipos. Someone got a pack and had them solder deans to it. They then went home, inproperly charged it (probably with a nicd/nimh charger) and left it for a while. It burnt their house down and they told the insurance company it was the hobby shops fault because they were the last ones to touch it. I guess they had a hard time explaining that they didn't sabatoge the pack-they just changed the connectors! I ran into this new "we don't touch your lipos" policy when I didn't have a nice iron and was having trouble with micro deans. I ended up getting them soldered just fine later that day, but it was pretty sad hearing that they were getting attacked by an insurance company because of an ignorant customer
|maniac| is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2007, 08:56 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawlin View Post
Will do. Sorry about that guys.
Thanks, much easier to read.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
Can U tel me wur 2 git dat toyota bodie?
That's scary how well you channel Floyd in those replies.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:58 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
What "toy" grade are you refering to?

So Clod, TLT, PTI, TF/MF, Bruiser/Mounty, WK, those are all "toy" grade?

They are all crawl worthy.
out of all of those the WK is the closest to out of the box crawler ready axle (locked of course) .... and yes toy grade... no one out there would ever even think about running a stock TLT in a comp. .... and not to repeat myself , but anyone doing well in the comps that uses a TLT based rig, the only part that might be still TLT will be the plastic halfs and they will be moded as well...

so yes as of right now the ax10 axle is the only mass produced 2.2 "crawler specific" axles that I know of... none in your list matches that description, without heavy modification... and remember I was talking 2.2 comp rigs not that there is a super axle out there ether... and please dont say clod.

Last edited by HauntFreaks.com; 12-29-2007 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling
HauntFreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntFreaks.com View Post
out of all of those the WK is the closest to out of the box crawler ready axle (locked of course) .... and yes toy grade... no one out there would ever even think about running a stock TLT in a comp. .... and not to repeat myself , but anyone doing well in the comps that uses a TLT based rig, the only part that might be still TLT will be the plastic halfs and they will be moded as well...

so yes as of right now the ax10 axle is the only mass produced 2.2 "crawler specific" axles that I know of... none in your list matches that description, without heavy modification... and remember I was talking 2.2 comp rigs not that there is a super axle out there ether... and please done say clod.
Wow, other than locking the diff, I ran stock TLT axles for a long time w/ great success.

I have also run Clod axles (again locking the diff) pretty much stock and did well w/ them?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloak View Post
Thanks, much easier to read.
Your welcome.

If Traxxas ever makes an RTR crawler, we will gather our forces, make a mob, and storm their headquaters, and hold their designers for ransom until they end production permanently.
All in favor, post with a and "I"
Krawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:11 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Dez i would never doubt you... evey comp i've been to if someone was running close to stock TLT's something alway broke on the first or second course... so this is odd for me to hear... but my point being for the money $40 ax10 axles beats $100 worth of mods done to a tlt... IMO

hey to each there own
Old 12-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... Traxxas or HPI producing an RTR is scary.... wow all i can see is a lot of unneeded plastic added to them as always
Old 12-29-2007, 09:17 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Dez i would never doubt you... evey comp i've been to if someone was running close to stock TLT's something alway broke on the first or second course... so this is odd for me to hear... but my point being for the money $40 ax10 axles beats $100 worth of mods done to a tlt... IMO

hey to each there own
No dought the AX-10 axles represent progress in terms of axle design, but it doesn't make the others obsolete or unworthy.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:22 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
No dought the AX-10 axles represent progress in terms of axle design, but it doesn't make the others obsolete or unworthy.
I agree...

I guess I've jumped on the Axial band wagon and i'm not lookin back.... lol
Old 12-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

Quote:

hey to each there own
i still run pretty much all stock tlt axles. granted i have aluminum knuckles, axle c's, and cvd's, but for the longest time i've run the plastic knuckles an dother hardware. to me it's all about the building, plain and simple. i am a newbie but that's all right........in time being a vet will come. i believe in building it, not buying someone else's project. and to all the newbies out there, like i tell the guys that work under me at work.......figuring it out builds character. and to all the vets out there...........you guys are my inspiration. as for AX10 axles............i'd rather still run tlt's .
RydeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

wow, i hear a thread full of adults sooking like children.
nice.
if someone wants to buy a RTR and are happy with how it performs as is, who are any of you to tell them they should be modding it so its better?
does it really make them a noob?
what if they dont run in comps?
does that make them a noob as well?
post counts and join dates dont mean stuff all, and if they do to any one of you, you need to grow up and have a look around.

seriously, whats with the elitest attitude?
doesnt bring a good look to the sport or the forums at all.
but hey, if thats how you want it...............

and i bought an AX-10 kit as well, yep, its stock and staying that way (except for some claws).
i guess that makes me a noob as well?
even though i have been building a Super for the last 2 years and only got the AX-10 so i could get on the rocks quicker.
maybe i should have wait till i have finished the build so im not another noob
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by o5tacoma View Post
as for AX10 axles............i'd rather still run tlt's .
just for hahas... why??
Old 12-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk View Post
If traxxas ever comes out with a crawler RTR, I will buy it, strip it of everything but the axles and tranny and start building. Since when have they ever released something that isnt bulletproof or damn close. maxx bulkheads...I know...shut up about the bulkheads. lol
If Traxxas brings out a crawler, I'd seriously consider it if I have the money, I just can't say how long it would remain stock. I really consider the "kits are better because you don't know how to fix it if you don't build it first" to be out and out bull. In many cases (like a new to me class of RC) I'd rather see what it looks like and how it drives before I tear it apart and start modding (or screwing it up, depending on the circumstances) it so I know where to go from there. It would be nice if there were more ARR kits without a radio system (I'd have prefered that to the full RTR on my Wheely King) for those of us who already have radios.....................
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by |maniac| View Post
I guess the only RTR in the entire industry I don't like is Traxxas' VXL line. Its a great line of products for a great price, but it gets a little old seeing posts on other forums where someone buys their first car and its a VXL. They get it and a 3s Lipo and go out for their first time and hit a tree going 60+ totalling it and then get on the forums flaming about how "delicate" it is. :P
We had somebody complain like that about how fragile his Revo was when he'd hit a tree wide open or in comparison to his friends' T-Maxxes. There were a few times I wanted to suggest that he try that with his 1:1 and then come talk to after he gets out of the hospital about how fragile his Revo is.......... I do see alot of people online whine about how weak that line is no matter what's powering it and I honestly think some of it is just plain abuse/stupidity. With trucks like the VXL, I'd atleast recommend that the new owners start out with 6-cells just so they can get used to driving something that'll run like it does before trying to hit plaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |maniac| View Post
Our local hobby store now refuses to solder lipos. Someone got a pack and had them solder deans to it. They then went home, inproperly charged it (probably with a nicd/nimh charger) and left it for a while. It burnt their house down and they told the insurance company it was the hobby shops fault because they were the last ones to touch it. I guess they had a hard time explaining that they didn't sabatoge the pack-they just changed the connectors! I ran into this new "we don't touch your lipos" policy when I didn't have a nice iron and was having trouble with micro deans. I ended up getting them soldered just fine later that day, but it was pretty sad hearing that they were getting attacked by an insurance company because of an ignorant customer
Damn, which shop is that?

Last edited by BJoe; 12-29-2007 at 09:40 PM.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:31 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I agree...

I guess I've jumped on the Axial band wagon and i'm not lookin back.... lol
Dez's 08 CG-1

Old 12-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Dez .... heehee got to love it... that the rig you used last season??...
Old 12-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #98
Rock Crawler

Quote:
just for hahas... why??
just for ha-ha's , huh? to me they are more user friendly, i have alot of spare parts for them (you can use the hi-lift ring and pinion's for replacement), there are numerous parts from other tamiya cars/trucks that you can use on the axles, shall i go on??? don't get me wrong about the AX10.......i actually bought one when it first came out to see how it is. to my surprise it had alot of stuff that i liked . but at the same time there was alot of things in the kit that i didn't need for what i was planning to do. the tlt kit actually has alot of things that i do use (ask DTP and Young Version, they'll tell you). basiclly i just don't like the looks of the AX10 axles. so this is just a small bunch of reasons why i'd rather take the tlt's over the ax10.
RydeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Dez .... heehee got to love it... that the rig you used last season??...
No, my old rig for the last year and a half was a PIMP CANE Clod!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #100
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino438 View Post
i'm a noob here! what's this crawling stuff you guys speak of? i have a tamiya tt-01 that i want to convert into a mud truck. what is a search engine? who makes that engine, o.s., traxxas, novarossi, etc.?
Thats sig material right there if I ever seen it.

Quote:
You think it's bad now, wait until Traxxas smells the blood in the water and introduces a RTR Crawler!:-(

That will truely be a sad day!

At least the Axial is a kit!
I'd agree with that. A RTR crawler would kill the "build it" side of the sport. I think the Axial kits are a GREAT thing. Just more/better parts for us OG's to build our own shit with

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9popo View Post
WORD!!!

Bring them all, imagine the possibilities if you have imagination...
I hear ya there. Bring em all on. Keep them in KIT FORM though.

One thing I like about a kit crawler....I can go buy the kit intending on getting it for my son,nephew or the likes....We're talking the 5-10 year old range here. They can be given the tools and put it together and LEARN from it After my son put his AX-10 together,he had ALLOT better understanding on how the thing worked. That was probably the best thing for him and it's helped him understand how and why things work the way they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Poulson View Post
It's all good ...until you have to buy a Losi team crawler to be completive. That will be a sad day for scratch builders.
Is the Axial just the beginning of the end?

Just a thought

Mike
Honestly,I think it's just the beginning. They'll be more kits out soon. Like I said,I hope they stay KITS at least.

Even if you could go out and buy a comp ready crawler....The n00b that buys one would stand a chance against a veterian driver in a serious comp. You can't gain seat time over night or by just plugging your batteries in.

Quote:

so yes as of right now the ax10 axle is the only mass produced 2.2 "crawler specific" axles that I know of... none in your list matches that description, without heavy modification... and remember I was talking 2.2 comp rigs not that there is a super axle out there ether... and please dont say clod.

You wanna bet a 3 piece chicken dinner?

I can take a STOCK Twin Force axle,lock it and build a servo mount....simple as that and have a comp worthy axle. Get a set and send them to me,I'll show ya

Quote:

WERD! The Axial axles and tranny are VERY nice and will be my choice for my 2.2 running gear this year. I still prefer my roots though,KYOSHO.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote