Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: pulling out a 4l60e tranny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default pulling out a 4l60e tranny

what is the best way to get to the top bolts on a 4l60e tranny out I got the tc out and all the other tranny bolts out I just cant get on the top to bolts I have the rear of the tranny lower about 4" still didnt help much..anyway the tranny is in a 2002 chevy silverado 4x4 5.3 any tips would be appreciated
brushlessnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

you have to sit on top of the engine basically usein a box end wrench . it takes a while and putting them back in isnt any easyer .thats what i had to do when i had to put a motor in my 2001 gmc serria when i put a new crate motor in it after i took it for a swim and hydrolocked it:-(
they dont run so well under water and a picture is worth a thousand words !!!!!!and i still hear it from my girlfriend " if i was there you would never have done it " it gets old .

CRUZ CONTROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

An impact swivel and long extension work really well.
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

We had to use several extensions on a buddy's 1500. I think it was almost 3ft long. Or sit on the motor like Cruz said. We did that when re-installing it.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUZ CONTROL View Post
you have to sit on top of the engine basically usein a box end wrench . it takes a while and putting them back in isnt any easyer .thats what i had to do when i had to put a motor in my 2001 gmc serria when i put a new crate motor in it after i took it for a swim and hydrolocked it:-(
they dont run so well under water and a picture is worth a thousand words !!!!!!and i still hear it from my girlfriend " if i was there you would never have done it " it gets old .

Is that silver lake?
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTRyan View Post
An impact swivel and long extension work really well.
2X I have R&R trannys for awhile and thats the only way to go.
Be sure to blow out your cooler lines for debris, DON'T silicone the tranny pan and consider putting an external cooler with hard lines on.
Andysbodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

take off your tranny crossmember, tighten up some side bolts so the tranny dosent fall on you, let the tranny hang down a bit, and you should be able to get to it then, and if you cant, try jacking the tranny up, and it might give you some room between the block and fire wall.

a impact swivle might work, but i wouldent do that right away, a swivle on a impact gun might strip the heads of the bolts
foodstamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
~THE SCALE SHOP~

on fbodys we have to use a couple 6" extensions and swivels. as theres only 1" of clearance between the bellhousing and the DS tunnel. i doubt its that tight on your silverado. consider yourself lucky.

back when i was shattering clutches once a month i had it down to 90 minutes, pull tranny, new clutch, install tranny, bleed and drive in hour and a half lol. drive way and hand tools, no lift or air.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
on fbodys we have to use a couple 6" extensions and swivels. as theres only 1" of clearance between the bellhousing and the DS tunnel. i doubt its that tight on your silverado. consider yourself lucky.

back when i was shattering clutches once a month i had it down to 90 minutes, pull tranny, new clutch, install tranny, bleed and drive in hour and a half lol. drive way and hand tools, no lift or air.
Wouldn't it have been easier to learn how to properly drive?
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #10
~THE SCALE SHOP~

the LS6 and Spec stage 2 clutches couldnt handle the power i was putting down. kept shattering the pressure plates.
runnin a Ram powergrip HD now.
i can drive just fine
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekx65 View Post
Is that silver lake?
yes it is mikekx65 , its my home away from home i go there just about every other weeked in the summer i have some property around the corner from the enterance.
CRUZ CONTROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
RCC Addict

thanks guys i got them out now im trying to get the clip off the top coolerline im going tomarrow to get an external tranny cooler
Old 12-29-2007, 09:44 PM   #13
RCC Addict

yeah what every body else has been saying... use a long 3 or 4 foot extension and a swivel socket.

my dad and i have a 4 footer that worked perfectly when we had to do it 4 times on the same truck
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #14
RCC Addict

yup I got them out thaniks..do you have to take the torque converter off to pull the tranny out?
Old 12-30-2007, 01:19 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushlessnut View Post
yup I got them out thaniks..do you have to take the torque converter off to pull the tranny out?
Yes! Put some bolts back the bell housing and take the bolts out of the front of the flexplate. Take the starter off and go in through there. Also...listen to andysbodies. blow out the trans cooler lines, new trans pan gasket goes on dry, and an external cooler is always a good idea. If you don't want to do the trans again, service the trans ever 15k miles, and do the filter every time! As for putting the trans back in, I have a 1/2 to 3/8 impact reducing extension thats about 4 feet long, I use that with a impact swivel socket and my 1/2 impact wrench. For speed and ease, it's the only way. When I was doing warranty work for jasper, I did so many trans swaps in mail trucks I could have it done and driving in 3 hours flat. The right tools make that kind of thing possible.

Edit: It just occurred to me; aren't you replacing the torque converter? if not, why?

Edit #2: jasper rebuilt transmissions and engines suck. avoid them like the plague.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 12-30-2007 at 01:22 AM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:00 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

^^^^^ what he said. Torque converter and trans must come out as a unit and go back in as a unit unless you are throwing them both away and getting all new.
Rat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUZ CONTROL View Post
yes it is mikekx65 , its my home away from home i go there just about every other weeked in the summer i have some property around the corner from the enterance.

I think i seen that same puddle too. We went up over the summer for a week i think i got some pics. We stayed at the Dunes waterfront resort overlooking the lake and the dunes. we had a pretty good time there.

I think the best part was watching the "parade" at dusk when everybody was coming of the dunes and seeing all the cool rides.

Here is the view from our room

And here is my fav ride i seen.
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #18
RCC Addict

yeah Im replacing the torque converter..I just didnt want to pull them in one paice if I didnt have to thanks again guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
Yes! Put some bolts back the bell housing and take the bolts out of the front of the flexplate. Take the starter off and go in through there. Also...listen to andysbodies. blow out the trans cooler lines, new trans pan gasket goes on dry, and an external cooler is always a good idea. If you don't want to do the trans again, service the trans ever 15k miles, and do the filter every time! As for putting the trans back in, I have a 1/2 to 3/8 impact reducing extension thats about 4 feet long, I use that with a impact swivel socket and my 1/2 impact wrench. For speed and ease, it's the only way. When I was doing warranty work for jasper, I did so many trans swaps in mail trucks I could have it done and driving in 3 hours flat. The right tools make that kind of thing possible.

Edit: It just occurred to me; aren't you replacing the torque converter? if not, why?

Edit #2: jasper rebuilt transmissions and engines suck. avoid them like the plague.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Make sure when installing the new converter you make sure it's all the way in. You'll feel it click once, then you'll have to keep turning it until it clicks again, otherwise you'll break the pump behind the converter.
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I cant get the tc bolts out this is starting to piss me off is there a easy way to get them out?