Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: You have got to see this one guys!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #21
Adilynsdad too!

Did somebody say "dance fight"?
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #22
MODERHATER™

666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #23
Adilynsdad too!

Ahhhhhhhhh Yeeeeeah Boiiiiiiii, you just got served...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRYmRJcZbhI
Old 01-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #24
Adilynsdad too!

Hey Patrick, don't you have that same T-shirt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=939GA...eature=related
Old 01-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #25
MODERHATER™

Can't say I do....do you?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #26
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Can't say I do....do you?
Yeah but mine says "I am Patrick spank my bottom"
Old 01-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #27
MODERHATER™

Your not supposed to tell.....
Old 01-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
Ahhhhhhhhh Yeeeeeah Boiiiiiiii, you just got served...

Man you know how to make people chuckle !!!
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #29
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoffroad View Post
not knockin the article and I did see the "we suspect" thing but how is giving someone a "crawler" with open diffs a good thing. .....
Like I said....
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57

One,it lets the n00b decide how he wants to lock the diff. Two,it lets the n00b take his axles aparts,learn how to work on the stuff and how it all works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoffroad View Post
but I do think that if they (people who would buy the rig) can't figure out that the diffs & trany need to be locked, then they should'nt be into the RC crawling hobby.....
If they get an unlocked diff in a rig....they learn WHY it needs to be locked.

If they have to either lock it themselves or buy a locker to install.....they learn HOW it works and HOW to work on their junk.

Like all the n00bs here lately that don't have a clue on which way to go.....this TEACHES why and how

If someone looses interest because of an unlocked diff,they've got an attention span problem. We're not baby sitters here and those people need baby sitters.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Normally I'd agree with you RM57, but after trying to get my nephews into RC and buying them a couple of RTR stampedes, they had no idea how to fix it, or take it apart. I ended up fixing them several times, then they just lost interest. My point is, if they wanted to take it apart and learn how/why to mod or needed mod, they wouldn't have bought an RTR, they would go for the Scorpion kit. I think the majority of those buying the RTR's won't be inclined to fix/mod things and loose interest, especially in crawling. I think it would be a poor representation of crawling to offer an RTR crawler that needs to be modded to be decent on the rocks. If they want to bill it as crawler ready or modifiable, fine, but kids/newbs not in the know will buy, it will suck on the rocks and loose interest in crawling. Granted some will mod it, love crawling and move forward from there. Your giving people way too much credit.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #31
06 Super National Champ

My son is 3 and takes things apart.

I have photos of my daughter putting tires on a Clod with a 4-way wrench at about 2 years old. (wife corrected me there. )

Kids aren't born lazy...laziness is learned.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 01-03-2008 at 07:42 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #32
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
Normally I'd agree with you RM57, but after trying to get my nephews into RC and buying them a couple of RTR stampedes, they had no idea how to fix it, or take it apart. I ended up fixing them several times, then they just lost interest. My point is, if they wanted to take it apart and learn how/why to mod or needed mod, they wouldn't have bought an RTR, they would go for the Scorpion kit. I think the majority of those buying the RTR's won't be inclined to fix/mod things and loose interest, especially in crawling. I think it would be a poor representation of crawling to offer an RTR crawler that needs to be modded to be decent on the rocks. If they want to bill it as crawler ready or modifiable, fine, but kids/newbs not in the know will buy, it will suck on the rocks and loose interest in crawling. Granted some will mod it, love crawling and move forward from there. Your giving people way too much credit.
So your basing your opinion on your lazy nephews that have an attention span problem? Good move

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post

EXACTALLY!
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Yeah ok, look at reality, most RC's leaving hobby shops are RTR's, most hobby shops are fixing said RTR's because buyer's can't do anything other than turn it on. I'm not saying my nephews aren't lazy, but I'd say they are a good representation of many potential targets for this "crawler".
Has nothing to do with an attention span problem, mechanical stuff isn't their forte.
Dosn't really have much to do with laziness either, if a kid isn't interested, where's the motivation?

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 01-03-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #34
I joined the Band!

Quote:

Most hobby shops are fixing said RTR's because buyer's can't do anything other than turn it on.

Mechanical stuff isn't their forte.

Kid isn't interested
Three above reasons why some should not be introduced to Rock Crawling at all.

Buy them a nitro something and let them be bashers.
jaxcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

ok it isnt every kid, i started rc when i was 8 and i got an hpi rs4mt nitro KIT as my first because i wanted to know how to put it together and how it worked and nitro because ive been around engines my whole life and didnt dig the whole "electric craze" haha look at me now over about 20 cars most are electric and im champ with the 1/12 scale car(which was a kit when i got when i was 12) and the only help i ever have from my dad is when im building a crawler, not that hes a bad dad its just i dont need help. so it just depends if the kid is really into what he is doing
savageracer312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #36
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageracer312 View Post
ok it isnt every kid, i started rc when i was 8 and i got an hpi rs4mt nitro KIT as my first because i wanted to know how to put it together and how it worked and nitro because ive been around engines my whole life and didnt dig the whole "electric craze" haha look at me now over about 20 cars most are electric and im champ with the 1/12 scale car(which was a kit when i got when i was 12) and the only help i ever have from my dad is when im building a crawler, not that hes a bad dad its just i dont need help. so it just depends if the kid is really into what he is doing
Great Point Savage,

The builders, young or old will build the sport. The buyers of ready made crawlers, or so called will get bored quickly and won't contribute much. I believe we see that in most skill level hobbies.

Face it! It is the skill and technical part of Rock Crawling that is the draw. The latest and greatest goes by the way side quite quickly.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

yeah i really have only built 2 crawlers and they were both screwed up and i just keep trying, most the time is 4 link geometry and suspension problems but you cant stop trying or you will stop crawling, this is an expensive hobby as well and there is no room for stupidity, like hmm wonder how this receiver works... guess ill get a screw driver and pop it open and see how my soldering skills are.. haha WRONG
savageracer312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #38
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageracer312 View Post
This is an expensive hobby as well and there is no room for stupidity.
Another great point "Expense."

I would think the target market would be those that have the disposable income to spend on this hobby. They can build their crawler any way they want.

I see some making decitions on how they want to build their crawlers, but are always bumping up against what it cost.

Is RTR going to save money in the long run? Or is it a short term fix for getting something new, but you loose interest in it quickly because it doesn't do what all the crawlers do you have seen on the video's.

Seems if you build it you own more of it. Time invested, skill learned. Aspects of the sport you can hand down to your kids. Seems that is a lost art in a lot of things these days.:-(
Old 01-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #39
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Yeah ok, look at reality, most RC's leaving hobby shops are RTR's, most hobby shops are fixing said RTR's because buyer's can't do anything other than turn it on. I'm not saying my nephews aren't lazy, but I'd say they are a good representation of many potential targets for this "crawler".
Has nothing to do with an attention span problem, mechanical stuff isn't their forte.
Dosn't really have much to do with laziness either, if a kid isn't interested, where's the motivation?
There's a larger lesson to be learned.

That lesson is that, no matter what it is, you should have some understanding of how the item operates/works and how to properly maintain the thing. It's not a "run the thing until it doesn't run then throw it in the closet" type deal.

If these kids can't take the time to pick up a screwdriver to repair a busted A-arm...what will happen when they get older and get a 1:1 ride?

It's sad how we're cultivating kids to not think for themselves these days.

When I worked at the LHS my rule was that if you were in the store watching me repair your toy it was no charge - and I'd only do that repair once. After that I'll offer advice but not take the time to replace yet another a-arm on your maxx...you've seen it done, you know how.

If you watched and still needed help...I'd loan tools so folks could repair their stuff at the store while I help other customers and give input when needed but I'd let the customer do the work.

End result is that if they're showing that they wanted to learn how to work on the thing...I'd help'm out.

If they wanted to just drop it off and have it repaired...I'd charge'm and make it worth my time.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #40
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
My son is 3 and takes things apart.

I have photos of my daughter putting tires on a Clod with a 4-way wrench at about 2 years old. (wife corrected me there. )

true bradin(2) also likes to remove all the batteries from the remotes, as well as change tires on his mini inferno.i dont think there is a lazy bone in his body..........wish i could say the same about the majority of new member population on this forum.i think alot of the fun is building and creating new ideas, and tricks for certain new vehicles. shit, i own a scorpion(thanks ryde) how long did it stay stock? i think it was driven twice, then it went under the knife.crawlers need to be built to suit the driving style of the owner.sure if you are a great driver you can pretty much drive anything.but........if not the experience you gain from building and testing, you kinda figure out how shit works, i mean you can only get better at it.
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote