Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: mini crawler interest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default mini crawler interest

How many of you guys would like 1/24 mini crawlers? I want to try and get a petition together and see if we can get someone to make some mini axles. And on that note, who would be best to approach about getting some made? Rc4wd is about the only one I can think of! I have about a foot of snow at my house so outdoor crawling is on hold for a while! So a mini crawler would be a blast to mess around with inside! Any ideas or help would be awesome, lets see if we can get some mini crawlers guys!
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

personally I would like to see something closer to 1/18 scale...1/24 just seems too small. Something like the mini Giant would be nice....just a tad bigger. Something you could put 1.9's on and have them look like 44's would be cool.

Wasnt there a hint dropped a week or so ago about a company coming out with a truck?
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I've got a Mini Giant - it's a blast indoors! I stretched the wheelbase by an inch (rear only), put a mini servo on the front axle, moved the receiver/esc to the battery tray, and cut a section out of the upper plate to allow the hex pack to sit vertically beside the motor. I still lacks clearance at the center, and is slightly topheavy still, but it climbs way better now and articulation has improved a lot. I have a reduction box that I'll probably put in sometime, too, but I'm enjoying it the way it is right now. I haven't locked the axles, just put some 20K (I think) in the diffs to tighten them up. It's more challenging to crawl it with no gear reduction and open diffs, but it helps me develop a steady throttle finger and work on my technique when it comes to picking lines and stuff.
Hodaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Ill have to look at those mini giants. The whole idea behind 1/24 is so we can use body out of model kits to build scalers.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

mini giant is where it's at for going small scale crawler. i've just started a vmg project i'm going to use a mini-t trans. i already have two front axles with swami servo mounts, shaft upgrades etc. i did have a 2.2 conversion but it's a little to much for the axles and trans. i think 1.9 will be alot better on either a tuber or a scaler type chassis.. the stock vmg rubber kinda sucks and there doesn't seam to be many options for it...
execelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'd buy several mini crawlers if there was one on the market! I've been building my own and they're a blast on rainy days!
shutupanddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYUTAH View Post
How many of you guys would like 1/24 mini crawlers? I want to try and get a petition together and see if we can get someone to make some mini axles. And on that note, who would be best to approach about getting some made? Rc4wd is about the only one I can think of! I have about a foot of snow at my house so outdoor crawling is on hold for a while! So a mini crawler would be a blast to mess around with inside! Any ideas or help would be awesome, lets see if we can get some mini crawlers guys!
I don't think you need a petition for a mini crawler. I am betting that we will be seeing something in the mini market soon.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

A nice machine in 1/18th scale would be nice especially in geologically challeged areas. It wouldn't take much find or to build a very nice crawling course in doors or out. I hope Badger is right.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I don't think you need a petition for a mini crawler. I am betting that we will be seeing something in the mini market soon.
Woohoo! Does anybody know when? Spring or summer maybe? I really hope they make a 1/24 so we can run bodies from model kits. Looks like I better start building my indoor course now!
Old 01-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

we need 1:24. if you want 1:18 then get a vmg clone
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

We really do need 1:24 axles. Theres not much potential for 1:18 scale. with 1:24 we could use all kinds of model bodies.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

So badger, you no something we dont, Mind to spill a little? Huh huh

I also think it would be cool to see something on the small scale!
scalecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I'd say 1:24 would be the most likely to win a vote over 1:18. I have several 1:18 scale vehicles, and just the fact that the axles are wider than you may think, makes it very tough to do any kind of scale build. To use the 1:18 axles, you'd end up having to use a 1:12 or 1:10 body to match the width in order to look scale...then it's not really a 1:18 scale build any longer

Anyone else notice the rash of petitions going around? It's seems to be spreading like the plague. :-P
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
X2 8-)
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

would someone please spill some info!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
X2 :-P
shutupanddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #17
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I think we should start a petition of who wants the one's "in the know" to spill it.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Being that RC crawling is very new to the larger manufacturers, they quite often look for advise from some of the vendors here, who manufacture products for the rc crawling industry. Although non-disclosure documents aren't always used, it is understood that certain information is not to be made public until a later date. Pretty much all the crawling products that have come out of the larger names have been tested by some of the members here well in advance of their public release.

Being affiliated with RCP Crawlers and RCP Tracks, I've seen first hand a number of products from the larger companies, before their public release.

I just wouldn't waste your time with petitions. Some of the larger companies may not publicly announce they are members here, but they are watching, reading and planning their next move. Good things are in store for the rc crawling industry. Post up what you want to see and most likely they will read the thread.

Last edited by John; 01-04-2008 at 06:31 PM.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What do you know? Are you a genie?

Don't listen to him guys.He's a liar.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I like what I'm hearing from John with RCP Tracks. Everyone just be patient and I think we'll be seeing a lot in '08.
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote