Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Should engaging DIG be pointed?
Yes 32 28.57%
No 68 60.71%
OR there should be an unlimited 2.2 class for the digs, winches, brakes, etc. 12 10.71%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Rule For DIG

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

This topic has been beat to death 1,000,000,000 times and it has been voted on in rules committee as many times.

But as courses get tighter and tougher Dig is important to keep you on correct line and competitive. I Have the D2 trans but seldom use the dig. I dont see it as a crutch but another option in my arsenal. And if you really feel dig is a crutch and makes little difference then why worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat1 View Post
Is there not going to be a spec class for the Ax? Does this class allow dig also? Is this new spec class going to be Ax based crawlers only or can it be TLT or WK based? Just wondering because if this is true then we may have a non dig class to play with.

But I agree, if dig is going to be allowed then when not just let 4 wheel steer be allowed?

Or just remove Dig from the 2.2 class all together and make it for the Super class only.

Oh but wait, I quess most of these guys need the crutch of dig to be competitive.

Oh well get the cheese out either way.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2008, 11:54 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Is there not going to be a spec class for the Ax? Does this class allow dig also? Is this new spec class going to be Ax based crawlers only or can it be TLT or WK based? Just wondering because if this is true then we may have a non dig class to play with.

Quote:
But I agree, if dig is going to be allowed then when not just let 4 wheel steer be allowed?
What part of "DIG" isn't the same as 4WS don't you get?

Quote:
Or just remove Dig from the 2.2 class all together and make it for the Super class only.
Or just leave the rules as they are and quit whining.

Quote:
Oh but wait, I guess most of these guys need the crutch of dig to be competitive.
Spoken like a true nOOb. I don't or can't have it, I don't want anyone else to have it either.

Quote:
Oh well get the cheese out either way.
I agree, tired of hearing people whine about this.

Last edited by dezfan; 01-06-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
What part of "DIG" isn't the same as 4WS don't you get?

Or just leave the rules as they are and quit whining.

Spoken like a true nOOb. I don't or can't have it, I don't want anyone else to have it either.

I agree, tired of hearing whine about this.
I am not whining personally but I can see were some of the guys are coming from.

Some people just do not have the skills to create a one off setup for dig and some people are on budgets that leaves the R2 type trans with dig out of their limits but they would still love to compete yet stay slightly competitive.

Could I create dig on a project? Sure I could. Might take me longer but oh well.

Don't care for cluttering up my equipment that much but oh well.

Oh it is not just about creating dig on the machines either. It takes radio with another channel to operate dig also which means even more expense for people on a budget. You then need a receiver to handle the extra channel and a servo also. Then depending on the setup and electronics, a person might need a seperate battery or BEC to handle the extra load of the servos etc.

I do know the difference between dig and 4 wheel steer. Why not just allow both. Oh wait now we are talking superclass.

As far as the spec class and the axial crawlers. Well I tried doing some searching but the new 30 second time limit on the search had me waiting longer between searches so I gave up for now. I know I read about it on here awhile ago but can't remember the exact thread.

But enough for now as my garage is a little cluttered and it needs some straightening up so I can possibly work on my Clod body for a bit.

Oh what are the best recoil springs to use for leafs again? Oh wait, wrong section.

Oh hell ya, the wife called and said the bacon is ready. Time for some pork fat boys.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I am not whining personally but I can see were some of the guys are coming from.

Some people just do not have the skills to create a one off setup for dig and some people are on budgets that leaves the R2 type trans with dig out of their limits but they would still love to compete yet stay slightly competitive.
Sounds like whining to me.............

and if they cant follow one of the many threads on building their own dig then maybe the sport is is not for them anyway.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
I don't buy that for a second. I just put dig on my sons AX-10 last night. The 2 male shafts I used(Pede)...I whitled on them for a bit with my pocket knife so they'd work. The connector can be made for a few bucks with nothing more than a hacksaw,CA glue and a few bolts.

If it's an advantage,guys will find a way to get it.

Next!
i never built a dig nor have i ever used one so i guess i really wouldn't know.you are rite about one thing, if it is an advantage,guys will find away to get it. you see it in many forms of racing.

i crawl with a bunch of buddies, no comps around here unless we hold a "fun one"" but i would love to do something more serious. i just don't understand how this is allowed and 4 wheel steer isnt.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post
i never built a dig nor have i ever used one so i guess i really wouldn't know.you are rite about one thing, if it is an advantage,guys will find away to get it. you see it in many forms of racing.

i crawl with a bunch of buddies, no comps around here unless we hold a "fun one"" but i would love to do something more serious. i just don't understand how this is allowed and 4 wheel steer isnt.
IT was deemed that 4ws gave to big an advantage to get through obstacles for the restricted class, often times dig will not help you
Old 01-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #67
MWRCA'er

Dig doesn't make you turn. Dig assists your turning in certain situations only. Rear steering is far more advantagous then dig. With rear steering I can steer perfectly around markers, line my truck up perfect on climbs and stay on track, use it to assist in fliping my rig back over.

Dig's are only effective when used properly. The terrain must be perfect for it to load the proper tire to assist your turning. I can't use dig to place my rear tires exactly where I need them on a tough climb. I can't use dig to help me roll back over. I can't use dig to steer tires.

Last edited by Mnster; 01-07-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

You sure jump into comp related threads a lot when they don't concern you though.

Quote:
As far as the spec class and the axial crawlers. Well I tried doing some searching but the new 30 second time limit on the search had me waiting longer between searches so I gave up for now. I know I read about it on here awhile ago but can't remember the exact thread.
Spoken like a real whiner.... "I tried but after waiting for 30 seconds I gave up."

The only club that I know of that is running a Spec AX-10 class is ORCRC. We have been running it for a few months now. Each comp has fewer and fewer Spec rigs showing up.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #69
I joined the Band!

Default is dig cheating or not

its an unfair advantage.just like rear steer .
if you want those things go compete against others that have it.
when you beat someone that does not have dig or rear steer its a hollow victory .just like cheating.IMO
Old 01-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

I think it holds the same advantage as rear steer and it's not allowed. Both help you turn better. Jason why is one allowed and one not? Please don't bring up the 1:1 rule because they don't have a touch rule so there isn't really a comparison. In a 1:1 comp does a driver get a penalty if his spotter helps him right the vehicle?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #71
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelangus View Post
when you beat someone that does not have dig or rear steer its a hollow victory .just like cheating.IMO
If it's an unfair advantage...Build a dig set up for yours and you'll be even.

If you don't want to build a dig set up.....STFU and run whatcha brung. PERIOD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
I think it holds the same advantage as rear steer and it's not allowed. Both help you turn better. Jason why is one allowed and one not? Please don't bring up the 1:1 rule because they don't have a touch rule so there isn't really a comparison. In a 1:1 comp does a driver get a penalty if his spotter helps him right the vehicle?
I agree,it shouldn't be compared to 1:1 comps. Theres to many variable that can't be considered. It's RC no matter how you slice it. Yes,some of the rules compare and it's neat seeing things kept a little closer to scale than super class.........Like dig but no rear steer.

Personally,I don't have dig on my 2.2 class rig. Do I want it,yes. I've got the parts to build it with,just ain't had the time. Do I feel inferior to rigs that have dig....like my sons rig. NOPE!

This is a STUPID debate/thread. If it gets much dumber in here I'm gonna lock the thread or delete it. Facts are guys,2.2 class is no rear steer with an option for dig. If it's an advantage,BUILD A FAWKING DIG SET UP! quit bitching about it. If you want to run rear steer,either build a super or run your 2.2 in super class. PERIOD!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
If it's an unfair advantage...Build a dig set up for yours and you'll be even.

If you don't want to build a dig set up.....STFU and run whatcha brung. PERIOD!

I agree,it shouldn't be compared to 1:1 comps. Theres to many variable that can't be considered. It's RC no matter how you slice it. Yes,some of the rules compare and it's neat seeing things kept a little closer to scale than super class.........Like dig but no rear steer.

Personally,I don't have dig on my 2.2 class rig. Do I want it,yes. I've got the parts to build it with,just ain't had the time. Do I feel inferior to rigs that have dig....like my sons rig. NOPE!

This is a STUPID debate/thread. If it gets much dumber in here I'm gonna lock the thread or delete it. Facts are guys,2.2 class is no rear steer with an option for dig. If it's an advantage,BUILD A FAWKING DIG SET UP! quit bitching about it. If you want to run rear steer,either build a super or run your 2.2 in super class. PERIOD!

actually I thought the thread was going well...until you posted
Old 01-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #73
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelangus View Post

Dig is an unfair advantage?

If my center of gravity is lower than yours...is that an unfair advantage?

What if I have better tires than you? Or a better transmitter? Or...(gasp) better driving skills?

If a person takes the time to make their rig better than so be it. There are advantages and disadvantages to everything.

Dig is allowed, and as far as I can tell, will always be allowed in 2.2.

The only comps I've been in where dig wasn't allowed is in 2.2 and 1.9 scale comps. Even there the point was brought up that several transfer cases on daily driven 1:1s allow front dig. My old '50 Willys had a Dana 300 with a Currie twin stick conversion...I could dig with it and drove it daily.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Whaaaa whaaaa!!!!! I got a box of tissues if anyone needs one.

I wonder why some people get so upset when this subject comes up? Maybe it is because they have dig and don't want to give it up and be on a level playing field?

Hell just make the 2.2 class the same as the super class and be done with it. Just allow everying allowed in the super class but limit the tire size and chassis dimensions.

Hell lets just eliminate the 2.2 class all together.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #75
MODERHATER™

Dig for me thanks, I did it real easy, 2 esc's, 2 motors. Does it give me an advantage. NO.

This thread can stop any time now, it is really pointless.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #76
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Whaaaa whaaaa!!!!! I got a box of tissues if anyone needs one.

I wonder why some people get so upset when this subject comes up? Maybe it is because they have dig and don't want to give it up and be on a level playing field?

Hell just make the 2.2 class the same as the super class and be done with it. Just allow everying allowed in the super class but limit the tire size and chassis dimensions.

Hell lets just eliminate the 2.2 class all together.

He's right guys.

Let's get rid of dig.

While we're at it, let's get rid of Moabs, Mashers, Rock Claws, lathe motors, and computer TXs too.

We did just fine with cut Clod tires, 27 turn Johnsons, and two-channel AM radios back in the day.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #77
Release your anger..

I have a question that's been bugging me:

Why are n00bs so desperate to find an excuse to create an 2.2 Unlimited class?
Is it incompetence or pure ignorance?
Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #78
06 Super National Champ

Because they don't like the thought of having to modify their AX-10 to be competitive against others?
Old 01-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

I hope no one thought I was whinning I really don't care. I don't run dig because I doubt it'll fit in my chassis nor do I have the $ for a R2D tranny. Do I tihnk it's an advantage? Of course it is, because if it wasn't no one would have it, duh. Is it unfair? Are you kidding me it's only unfair if one can have it and one can't. Anyone & everyone can run dig. But I am curious why it's legal when 4WS isn't.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I'm a no, if indeed Axial has sold 15,000 kits world wide which is what sinaster mention in another thread. These new crawlers need to conform to the hobby/sport not the other way around. Cost of a new product or innovation is a poor excuse to start campaigning for rule changes.
So simple and yet people do not understand.

Any of you whiners stop to think about clods in the 2.2 class? Should they be limited to only one esc to make you feel better about your lax driving skills?
Closed Thread