Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Reward or Incentive cards ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Reward or Incentive cards ??

Well I just got off the phone with American Express because I had question about a reward cards we got to give away (birthdays ,x-mas). I never notice they have an expiration date on them. We buy these thru the school so I never looked before. I went to use one yesterday and they said it's pass the valid dates ...??? When I call about these Am Ex said they all have expiration dates, and if they don't get use to bad for the person that got them. We buy 10to15 $50.00 cards at the start of the school year then give them out. I had 3 in my money clip all expired so much foe that $150.00. So if you get any cards USE them or Lose them.
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbeater View Post
Well I just got off the phone with American Express because I had question about a reward cards we got to give away (birthdays ,x-mas). I never notice they have an expiration date on them. We buy these thru the school so I never looked before. I went to use one yesterday and they said it's pass the valid dates ...??? When I call about these Am Ex said they all have expiration dates, and if they don't get use to bad for the person that got them. We buy 10to15 $50.00 cards at the start of the school year then give them out. I had 3 in my money clip all expired so much foe that $150.00. So if you get any cards USE them or Lose them.

This practice makes the news every year around Christmas time...
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
R.I.P. Chip

You might check with your state. In Colorado it is illegal for them to expire, even though they have dates. After they expire the company has to turn the money over to the state and you can then go down and claim it.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I just got a call back from the school and they said if people don't use the cards or if money is left on the cards.. they get all the money back for the cards they sold. Time to go back to giving cash.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
We buy in Sept. but we can buy all year long. They only last 3 months.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

i was gonna say the same as Jason...i believe in california it is illegal for a gift card to expire,tho i'm not sure if a reward card or incentive card as you called them are the same...i'm not sure who to contact. last year my sister went to use a card that was about to expire and was told by the salesclerk that they couldnt expire

Last edited by TIMZKRAWLER; 01-08-2008 at 01:00 PM.
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I believe most laws do say they can not expire when called a gift card, however FEES can be assessed yearly on the gift card for non-use.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZKRAWLER View Post
i was gonna say the same as Jason...i believe in california it is illegal for a gift card to expire,tho i'm not sure if a reward card or incentive card as you called them are the same...i'm not sure who to contact. last year my sister went to use a card that was about to expire and was told by the salesclerk that they couldnt expire
Exactly....in Ca there are no EXP dates on gift cards.
  • No expiration dates and no fees, with one exception.
  • Permits a $1 per month fee only when the card has a balance of $5 or less, the card has been unused for 24 months, and the card is reloadable.
  • Covers gift cards at a single store or chain. Multiple-use gift cards are not covered.
But...(with a few exceptions, including gift certificates for food, from nonprofit fundraisers, and from awards programs).
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
I was gonna say that. Its a shame to. My grandparents are oldie old , But always give the kids cards so they buy what they want. Sometimes they cant find what they want and they forget about it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
You might check with your state. In Colorado it is illegal for them to expire, even though they have dates. After they expire the company has to turn the money over to the state and you can then go down and claim it.
Just another reason to like that state!
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROTOTYPE View Post
I was gonna say that. Its a shame to. My grandparents are oldie old , But always give the kids cards so they buy what they want. Sometimes they cant find what they want and they forget about it .

My mom always wastes gift cards... always!

I started giving her ones I already drained 4 years ago!
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal 2500HD View Post
  • Permits a $1 per month fee only when the card has a balance of $5 or less, the card has been unused for 24 months, and the card is reloadable.
  • Covers gift cards at a single store or chain. Multiple-use gift cards are not covered.
But...(with a few exceptions, including gift certificates for food, from nonprofit fundraisers, and from awards programs).
My kids go to a private school
Old 01-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
It's the kind of pratice that put the Nova Language School to be bankrupted by the state in Japan. They where selling "point cards" to buy lecture times, with a short expiry date on them and it was extremely difficult to obtain lecture in a schedule that was fitting with people who had daily jobs. Everybody wanted evening classes, no teacher were available, points where expiring. It was ruled illegal. School had to give back te money. school (Maybe the biggest one in the country with teachers in nearly every towns) had to be shut down... No money to pay the teachers anymore or their rent.
Got what they deserved...

I'm surprised Amex can still pull this kind of stunts somewhere in the USA.
Coligny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal 2500HD View Post
Thanks NorCal 2500HD....good info there...i buy them a lot too for gifts and get them a lot too
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote