Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the -10 point Judging bonus be changed?
Yes, give the Judges free entry in one class. 16 44.44%
Yes, give the Judges free entry in one class and $5. 6 16.67%
Yes, change the rule to ............. (post up what you think) 3 8.33%
No, keep the rule the way it is. 11 30.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: -10 Point Judging Bonus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #21
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
At the first evnt I actually finished in 5th by "driving" points and beat Bender for the first time in my life. With the judging bonuses I ended up in 8th place.
I want a re-count..................sounds sketchy.

Quote:
The one thing I would say is that I think if you judge super, the bonus should be good only for super, not for 2.2. The bonus is there because you didn't get to watch that class, if you judge super you still get to watch everyone in 2.2 run.
Agreed.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #22
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
That would be great, and I might even do that for the super class, now we just need 4-5 more people to do it though.
Awesome!
I don't think it helps me much if anything to watch other guys. I'm usually goofing off somewhere else or talking to people until it's my turn. So I'd be glad to judge.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Slugz probably judges more than anyone else I have seen and he never complains but I think it is only fair to give the guy a break once in a while! He deserves it, The only thing I can think of wrong with drawing numbers is not everyone is up to date with the rules, some of our newer competitors had a lot of questions Sunday ( which was not the time to ask Judges by the way) I had several people asking were they were supposed to be, and other comp related/ rules questions while I was trying to Judge people on the course.

Maybe we need a comp Etiquette thread!

Last edited by racerx; 01-25-2008 at 12:50 PM.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #24
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
I agree that this is not a bad idea. If you want to compete, you need to know the rules well enough to judge as well.

I don't see how we could change anything this year though. I was bumped out of 5th place so I never got to run the finals course at event 1. How could that be changed now?
You get a tie for fifth.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #25
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
I want a re-count..................sounds sketchy.
Sparky: -1 36 37 = 72
Caseyc: -3 39 39 = 75
CRF450R: 1 38 38 = 77
Cato: -2 40 40 = 78
Griz: 0 39 40 = 79
Slowrocker: -1 40 40 = 79
Stewco: 1 39 40 = 80
Bender: 3 38 40 = 81

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:44 PM   #26
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
You get a tie for fifth.
But I did better than Jason P on course 2 so I get 5th place.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #27
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:

SNAP!!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #28
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
Slugz probably judges more than anyone else I have seen and he never complains but I think it is only fair to give the guy a break once in a while! He deserves it, The only thing I can think of wrong with drawing numbers is not everyone is up to date with the rules, some of our newer competitors had a lot of questions Sunday ( which was not the time to ask Judges by the way) I had several people asking were they were supposed to be, and other comp related/ rules questions while I was trying to Judge people on the course.
All of the rules are posted here on the site.
Every competitor is responsible for knowing the rules anyways. There is no excuse for being lazy and not reading the rules and understanding everything. This will force everyone to take some time and read through the rules carefully so everybody understands everything. If you have a technical question while you're judging there is always someone close by that can help you figure out what to do. It comes back to noobs not searching just like the rest of this forum, we don't have to cater to people being lazy and not finding easily available info. If you don't want to learn the rules good enough to be able to judge, don't compete, it's as easy as that.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #29
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
SNAP!!
I beat Bendah, I beat Bendah......:-P
Old 01-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #30
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
But I did better than Jason P on course 2 so I get 5th place.
Then you get 5th and Jason P get's 6th.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #31
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:

My point exactly!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #32
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Then you get 5th and Jason P get's 6th.
But I never got to run the finals course so we don't know if I could have moved up.
I was on a freakin' roll that day!! Did I mention I beat Brad?

I would accept the 5th place but it still wouldn't necessarily be a true representation.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #33
MODERHATER™

I personally do not like the rule. I have taken both of my -10 for each class and someone who knows how to drive-unlike me-deserves the points they earned. I earned mine by standing there judging 2.2 twice now, but I do not think that should reflect my driving points standings.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
All of the rules are posted here on the site.
Every competitor is responsible for knowing the rules anyways. There is no excuse for being lazy and not reading the rules and understanding everything. This will force everyone to take some time and read through the rules carefully so everybody understands everything. If you have a technical question while you're judging there is always someone close by that can help you figure out what to do. It comes back to noobs not searching just like the rest of this forum, we don't have to cater to people being lazy and not finding easily available info. If you don't want to learn the rules good enough to be able to judge, don't compete, it's as easy as that.

100% agreed, if you don't know don't compete! I admit it has been a while a while since I read through them all but most of it has stayed the same for some time now, but I think I will read them again just to make sure.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #35
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
But I never got to run the finals course so we don't know if I could have moved up.
I was on a freakin' roll that day!! Did I mention I beat Brad?

I would accept the 5th place but it still wouldn't necessarily be a true representation.
Congrats on beating Brad.

I understand that it still wouldn't be 100% accurate, but Jason didn't earn top five anyways, so 6th is accurate for him, and you still will place higher than you are currently, so you still benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I personally do not like the rule. I have taken both of my -10 for each class and someone who knows how to drive-unlike me-deserves the points they earned. I earned mine by standing there judging 2.2 twice now, but I do not think that should reflect my driving points standings.
I'm glad to hear that coming from someone who has benefited from the reward. I would feel that same way, it would feel like you're essentially stealing those spots from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
100% agreed, if you don't know don't compete! I admit it has been a while a while since I read through them all but most of it has stayed the same for some time now, but I think I will read them again just to make sure.
I will read up on them again also to refresh.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

I think getting rid of the -10 for judging is a good thing, like Wrecker said it does impact the standings. The first 2.2 comp would have had totally different ending. I know at the last comp I had a -13 after the first 3 rounds and was real nervous that I would not make top 5 because of the judging bonus.

The free entry for what class you judge would be a good reward or even giving an xtra 5 to the judges along with the free entry. Playing park and rec everything over the years, you always have to pay your umpires at the beginning of the game. I am ok with some of the winnings going to the judges. I would love to qualify and go to Nationals, but I want to make sure that it is earned!! If we have a few people that want to full time judge and are good and fair, I am all for paying them. I would not want my points screwed up by someone like me checking the wrong box or anything like that. We have definatly seen what 1 or 2 points matter in a comp.

With that said, if we do not go back and change the endings of the last two comps, I think we need to keep the -10 for at least the rest of the winter series. I know I am wanting to judge one of the upcoming events, but want to get to know the rules a little better. Everyone should have the opportunity to get the -10 if we cam't somehow change the prior events. I think it will be impossible to change the prior events, because the top 5 would have been different and they would need to run the finals course, which is not going to happen.

PS Griz, I beat Bender TOO!!! I am going to frame the results tonight!!!
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #37
MODERHATER™

Pssst... I will judge for money, and I will judge real good for even more!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #38
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I respect your opinion Pat, but I also think that it may reflect your score if you didn't judge.

Either way, we may be just using up bandwidth if Jason tells us to pack sand.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #39
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by THnCS View Post
With that said, if we do not go back and change the endings of the last two comps, I think we need to keep the -10 for at least the rest of the winter series. I know I am wanting to judge one of the upcoming events, but want to get to know the rules a little better. Everyone should have the opportunity to get the -10 if we cam't somehow change the prior events. I think it will be impossible to change the prior events, because the top 5 would have been different and they would need to run the finals course, which is not going to happen.
Agreed, I don't think it should be changed now, it's too late. Like Griz stated, he never ran the finals course at event one. Just saying you got 5th isn't really fair either, he may have schooled everyone on the finals course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THnCS View Post
PS Griz, I beat Bender TOO!!! I am going to frame the results tonight!!!
Enjoy it fellas!!
Old 01-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #40
[HOONIGAN]

I know that if we go back and change the results for the previous two comps the results won't be 100% accurate, but they will be a lot more accurate than they currently are, so that's an improvement. I don't see the point in keeping the rule till the end of the season, then we will just screw up every event for the entire series. I would rather have the rest of the events be correct and the first two be 90% correct than have all of the events for the season be completely wrong.