Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: /Delurk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default /Delurk

Noob alert! Bwoooop! Bwoooop!

Hey all, I've been reading this forum for almost a year and I hope to get into RC crawling later this fall. I've been doing full sized Jeeping since 2003 and I can't get enough... This seems like a way to spend some free time with a related interest.

I'm mainly considering the AX10 as my first crawler. It seems like a good machine out of the box and from what I've seen, a few tweaks make it a beast. I'll probably use it in the stock config for a while, till I figure out my style and what I want to be able to do. Then let the modding commence.

Anyway, just wanted to poke my head in and say hey. I'll be watching for events and make it if I can. So if you meet some dork who is asking a bunch of dumb questions, be nice... It might be me.

\oo/_ _\oo/
n.
nathanotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
RCC Addict

come out and crawl...comps and or practice at Hobbytown Westminster almost every saturday
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Welcome

In my opinion the AX10 will take more than just a few tweeks to become a serious competitor. You may want to come out to a few comps and see what others are using before you start sinking money. Its just my opinion but it may save you some headaches.
69CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

CrazyHorse, I realize the axial crawler isn't a comp-level machine just because I move the batteries and vent the wheels, but getting into (and winning) comps isn't really my goal at this point. I think this will be a great starter vehicle... Something that I can grow with. Much like my 1:1 wrangler. Wheel it stock for a bit, figure out your style and what kind of wheeling you enjoy and build it for that purpose. If it turns out I get into the idea of competing, I know the dollar amounts will move north pretty rapidly .

Of course, getting to an event and seeing what folks are running is always a good idea and I hope to do so, soon.

\oo/_ _\oo/
n.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanotis View Post
CrazyHorse, I realize the axial crawler isn't a comp-level machine just because I move the batteries and vent the wheels, but getting into (and winning) comps isn't really my goal at this point. I think this will be a great starter vehicle... Something that I can grow with. Much like my 1:1 wrangler. Wheel it stock for a bit, figure out your style and what kind of wheeling you enjoy and build it for that purpose. If it turns out I get into the idea of competing, I know the dollar amounts will move north pretty rapidly .

Of course, getting to an event and seeing what folks are running is always a good idea and I hope to do so, soon.

\oo/_ _\oo/
n.
Oh believe me I totally understand where you are at right now because I was there about 7 months ago when the only thing I wheeled was my 69 Bronco that I built over the last few years just for crawling. Than I saw the RC ones after being out of the hobby for a few years.

I thought you know I will buy an AX10 ARTR and wheel it a little stock than upgrade a few things. Dont get me wrong a well built Axial is an incredibly capable and potent competitor at any competition. I spent about $2,000 on the rig when all said and done. The only thing that was stock after 4 months was the axle housings and even they were replaced at least once. This speaks to the addiction of RC Crawling.

Than I thought I would build an MOA and another $1000 later its done.

Several people I know drive Losi's and they are awesome also. Hobbytown in Westminster has a crazy good price on them.

All 3 rigs have positive attributes its all about which you prefer driving.

I am by no means trying to convince you to not go with an axial. All I am saying is come out and check out peoples rigs before you spend money. Everyone at the comps is really cool and very willing to answer questions. I will let you drive mine if you want after the comp for a few. I just want to make sure you make an informed decision because it would have saved me quite a bit of cash if I had.

Welcome to the hobby and best of luck

Last edited by 69CrazyHorse; 08-03-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CrazyHorse View Post
I am by no means trying to convince you to not go with an axial. All I am saying is come out and check out peoples rigs before you spend money. Everyone at the comps is really cool and very willing to answer questions. I will let you drive mine if you want after the comp for a few. I just want to make sure you make an informed decision because it would have saved me quite a bit of cash if I had.

Welcome to the hobby and best of luck
I've been looking for a schedule that shows what's goin on and when. Point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

\oo/_ _\oo/
n.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Just keep watching the Colorado Forum. Here are links to a few series going on now.

Hobbytown Westminster
Hobbytown westy series #2

RCH of Aurora Outdoor series
RCH of Aurora Outdoor Saturday Series

The nice thing is these two series run on opposing saturdays.