Go Back   RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board > Regional > West > Colorado
Loading

Notices


Thread: "Sportsman" class feedback

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #41
PapaGriz Yo
 
Grizzly4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: What to build.......
Posts: 12,855
Default

Juan (CHUD) and I were talking and something we thought of.

Lets make the class beginner friendly, but not beginner only.

From what I have seen over the years is that most guys just want to finish courses and feel like they are competitive. They don't necessarily want to only drive against other beginners and they don't have to win to feel good about what they did.
When you have good drivers to compete against you can learn alot from them and they make you drive better.
A guy without dig may have trouble learning what to do in a situation by watching Jay drive because if he doesn't have dig he won't know what to do in the situation where dig was used. But in a class where neither one has dig, the new driver can learn alot about what to do (or not to do ).
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #42
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 518
Default

Ive been bumping around having a sportsman comp here ....I like the rules and I want to implement it in the schedule but I didnt think I could get it into this winter series. I want to run a separate series...not on the same days. ?????
FinishLineRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #43
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Juan (CHUD) and I were talking and something we thought of.

Lets make the class beginner friendly, but not beginner only.

From what I have seen over the years is that most guys just want to finish courses and feel like they are competitive. They don't necessarily want to only drive against other beginners and they don't have to win to feel good about what they did.
When you have good drivers to compete against you can learn alot from them and they make you drive better.
A guy without dig may have trouble learning what to do in a situation by watching Jay drive because if he doesn't have dig he won't know what to do in the situation where dig was used. But in a class where neither one has dig, the new driver can learn alot about what to do (or not to do ).
To add to that some drivers had dig and or bergs to start so this would really be a hard drive...probably frustrating somewhat cause they are use to being able to do whatever. More fun for NON beginners too!! (I remember these days!! I have a stampeded SW2 with TLT axles right here.......ahhhh old school!!)
FinishLineRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #44
No idea what I'm doing
 
C*H*U*D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Underground, CO
Posts: 4,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post


When you have good drivers to compete against you can learn alot from them and they make you drive better.
After driving with Chris today at lunch, I feel even more strongly about having everyone compete in this class, and not just new drivers. I know that there won't be someone there to coax every driver through every gate (thanks for the patience Chris ), but just watching a better driver run the same line first, really helps. Just my 2 cents.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #45
JC Auto Design
 
monkeyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lakehood, Crawlerado
Posts: 2,157
Default

I think that this class should be possible for someone to pick up a box stock RTC and actually have a chance at winning (assuming they can drive), regardless of who's competing.

I think finishing a course is a big thing. I've only finished 2 courses ever, and having that satisfaction of being able to finish a course is a good thing to keep me going the next course or competition.

If we start to get into too many rules it becomes a hassle, too few rules and people get away with cheating (or massively bending rules beyond their intention)

I'd say, at the very minimum, all box stock RTRs are eligible. Losi, Duratrax, Axial, etc. If it has the stock radio and esc, for sure, they should be able to compete. I don't think I've seen an RTR berg, so that would prevent them from running. As far as other rigs, kit bashes, etc. As long as there is no clear advantage over the above mentioned RTRs, then I'd say they should be ok too.
monkeyracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #46
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: RAMBLIN
Posts: 1,721
Default

my only concern is time. with 3 classes already taking most of 1 day adding another class that is open to all makes for a teribley long day . but if the field is limited then could see it working. i understand the points made ,i just feel there is a class for seasoned driver called 1.9 that is simmilar already.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #47
JC Auto Design
 
monkeyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lakehood, Crawlerado
Posts: 2,157
Default

only because I had considered 1.9 before...


I don't want to run 1.9, it's a totally different class. I don't want to go and buy a whole new vehicle (as do a lot of "seasoned" drivers) just to run a stripped down class. The 1.9 class was specifically designed for ONE vehicle and ONE vehicle only, the Losi MRC. Anything else is either too big or has too many motors.

Most of us already have 2.2s and the parts to make a sportsman legal 2.2, and those who don't can usually build one for pretty damn cheap (have you seen the price on the venom lately?) So just saying seasoned vets should just run 1.9s isn't gonna cut it. I could potentially run the same rig in both classes (just make sure to not use dig!) and actually have fun.

If that was the answer, there would be a whole lot more 1.9s being run each comp.

I'd say to start, as finishlinerc said, we'd have to do it on a different day, at least at first. We can see how many people actually show up. If it's a bunch of people, then it's worth a seperate day, if it's only a handful of guys, then combine into the regular comp day. easy peasy.

The rules will change as we start to see what happens with the class, but a good start will be the way to go.
monkeyracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #48
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: RAMBLIN
Posts: 1,721
Default

agree to dissagree. have fun with it
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave
 
slowrockr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Under the 4444
Posts: 2,366
Default

I think everyone knows how I feel about the piss ants but I wouldn't mind using alot of these old parts layin around here. Hell untill my berg I never had dig anyway. If it could be worked out to fit in the day I'd build something to run.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #50
Rally Rally Rally
 
TURTLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hoonsville
Posts: 6,225
Default

A fellow crawler and I were just talking about it, just talking, and here in Colorado I can see a lot of people being interested in this class, with that said "if" it did run with the rest of the winter series classes maybe it could be worked it so it was the only class people ran, and it ran all day. So if you ran sportsman class you would not be allowed to run the other classes...
With that said why would you want to anyway?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave
 
slowrockr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Under the 4444
Posts: 2,366
Default

...


slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #52
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
A fellow crawler and I were just talking about it, just talking, and here in Colorado I can see a lot of people being interested in this class, with that said "if" it did run with the rest of the winter series classes maybe it could be worked it so it was the only class people ran, and it ran all day. So if you ran sportsman class you would not be allowed to run the other classes...
With that said why would you want to anyway?
Why would they??? They dont have money for dig, they have a new truck w/o dig, they have a 2nd truck thats not getting used, they dont match up well with the bergs nor compete regularly well so this class would be better suited for them,,,,or they just want to feel/drive an old school rig. It doesnt have to be a part of the winter series to work.....there are many people who do not run that series regularly....and there are alot of crawlers you dont even know. So.......why wouldnt they?
FinishLineRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #53
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: RAMBLIN
Posts: 1,721
Default

HEY GRIZ, LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE YOUR WORK CUT OUT. THANKS FOR THE JOB YOU DO OF FIGURING OUT HOW TO INTERPERATE ALL OUR IDEAS INTO ONE CONCENSUS. IT CAN BE A THANKLESS TASKTO BE A REPRESETATIVE FOR A GROUP SO....


THANKS
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #54
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: crawlorado
Posts: 561
Default

i personally have a way custom rig and have had massive issues with my dig and think that a class like this would be awesome....as well as good for guys like me who have way too many other things to take care of other then crawling and such...ive done alot of comps last winter and early spring and got totally frustrated because i stood no chance against a dig mounted truck....didnt matter if i drove better or worse..so i put one on proper setup and multiple servo/battery combos...nothing but issues..electrical issues ruined it for me...those of you who know me saw me just dissapear and not want to drive my truck.....so all crying in my beer aside this would be an excellent idea and hope it dosent get fuddled up to much with bs and odd restrictions... i dont run a dig now or dual motor axles...went out to finishline for the grand reopening and since i didnt have a dig...couldnt even start 2 of the courses..not bitching about it..the courses are supposed to be had but this kind of thing is extremely discouraging to new drivers

Last edited by flapjack; 10-08-2009 at 02:03 PM.
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #55
PapaGriz Yo
 
Grizzly4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: What to build.......
Posts: 12,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYGOAT View Post
HEY GRIZ, LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE YOUR WORK CUT OUT. THANKS FOR THE JOB YOU DO OF FIGURING OUT HOW TO INTERPERATE ALL OUR IDEAS INTO ONE CONCENSUS. IT CAN BE A THANKLESS TASKTO BE A REPRESETATIVE FOR A GROUP SO....


THANKS
Thanks John. I'll do what I can.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #56
Rally Rally Rally
 
TURTLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hoonsville
Posts: 6,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinishLineRC View Post
Why would they??? They dont have money for dig, they have a new truck w/o dig, they have a 2nd truck thats not getting used, they dont match up well with the bergs nor compete regularly well so this class would be better suited for them,,,,or they just want to feel/drive an old school rig. It doesnt have to be a part of the winter series to work.....there are many people who do not run that series regularly....and there are alot of crawlers you dont even know. So.......why wouldnt they?
Why would you want to run the other classes, was what I was saying, especially since you can't afford dig. How can you afford other crawlers. After all this class was introduced as a gate way class. Now chill out and go back to never answering your phone.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #57
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: arvada
Posts: 6
Default

Billygoat is right, Whether or not this happens.(I think it will) Grizz, thanks for taking on this new class. And to all the crawlers that have put their 2 cents in.
icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #58
JC Auto Design
 
monkeyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lakehood, Crawlerado
Posts: 2,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Why would you want to run the other classes, was what I was saying, especially since you can't afford dig. How can you afford other crawlers. After all this class was introduced as a gate way class. Now chill out and go back to never answering your phone.
It seemed like you were saying that you would be restricted to only the sportsman, even if you had a 1.9 or anything, you could only run the sportsman. I think that's why Dan responded that way.

Even though the class is a kind of gateway class, it can be a lot of fun for pros to drive a stripped rig, and get back into the "good ol days" before there was dig, when tlts were the standard fare.
monkeyracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Praha, Česká republika
Posts: 459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Why would you want to run the other classes, was what I was saying, especially since you can't afford dig. How can you afford other crawlers. After all this class was introduced as a gate way class. Now chill out and go back to never answering your phone.
if someone started out with a mini and just bought an axial rtc or the like and is slowly upgrading, they shouldnt be limited to only run the sportmans class.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #60
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Building cool shit
Posts: 1,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Why would you want to run the other classes, was what I was saying, especially since you can't afford dig. How can you afford other crawlers. After all this class was introduced as a gate way class. Now chill out and go back to never answering your phone.
So just eliminate people with more than one truck? Shouldn't we be looking at this like a spec class so it's a driver's class and a gateway class? And don't say we have 1.9's for a drivers class; there's a reason why there's so many for sale...
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-20010 RCCrawler.com