Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: need a little help please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default need a little help please.

Trying to make a chassis for my JK build and im making it out of 1/8" steel plate. Got a brand new metal cutting blade for my bandsaw and started cutting. Well, i got one cut out before the dam blade went completely dull :-x. So, does any one have a band saw that can cut 1/8" steel that can help me cut out 1 piece?

i work in wheat ridge and live in aurora, so any where inbetween or close by would be cool.

thanks
friscokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscokidd View Post
Trying to make a chassis for my JK build and im making it out of 1/8" steel plate. Got a brand new metal cutting blade for my bandsaw and started cutting. Well, i got one cut out before the dam blade went completely dull :-x. So, does any one have a band saw that can cut 1/8" steel that can help me cut out 1 piece?

i work in wheat ridge and live in aurora, so any where inbetween or close by would be cool.

thanks
A Dremel with cut off blade might make the cut you want. Or step up to a 4 1/2" cut off blade;)
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Glassman View Post
A Dremel with cut off blade might make the cut you want. Or step up to a 4 1/2" cut off blade;)
I tryed both those routes. the dremel will take for ever and the line is, how you say, not so straight. Same with the grider w/ cut off wheel. Last resort it will have to do, but i was kinda hoping to nice clean straight line cut.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

make sure you are using the side of the blade with the teeth on it :-P and let the machine do the cutting (be patient and don't force the material into the teeth)

What brand saw/blade?

Edit: Have you thought about using AL?

Last edited by engineerjoe; 12-02-2009 at 01:06 PM.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
make sure you are using the side of the blade with the teeth on it :-P and let the machine do the cutting (be patient and don't force the material into the teeth)

What brand saw/blade?

Edit: Have you thought about using AL?

Joe is in the know! A brand new blade is like a freshly sharpened pencil....if you try to write too hard with it, the point breaks. But if you go slow until the point is worn in a bit, it stays sharp for a long time. Bandsaw blades are the same way.....go slow and easy for a bit before getting crazy. I would have probably cut some aluminum really easy first, before going to the steel....and like Joe says, let the machine do the work.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
RCC Addict

one word - ALUMINUM
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.D. View Post
one word - ALUMINUM
ah ha thats the ticket i cut my frames out of1/8 alumi. with a ol jig saw works great then i bolt both sides together and even them up with a dremel it seems to work great and ive never broke or bent a frame ive made yet hope this some how helps ya...
olskillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by olskillywilly View Post
ah ha thats the ticket i cut my frames out of1/8 alumi. with a ol jig saw works great then i bolt both sides together and even them up with a dremel it seems to work great and ive never broke or bent a frame ive made yet hope this some how helps ya...
If olskillywilly says thats how ya do it, then that's how I'd do it. Guys got some serious talent.
lwb Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the input guys. I did cut one out of 3/16" aluminum first, but decided to weld the braces on vs. bolt them on and that probably wasnt the best idea.:? So i decided to make one out of steel, so i can braise stuff to it. I did go slow with the blade on the 2 aluminum ones and one steel one, but now it wont even bite on the steel ??? I guess i will just try the cut off wheel and see if i like it, if not, i will go back to aluminum.

just was seeing if anyone had a saw that can make a clean line in 1/8" steel.

gracias!
Old 12-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #10

just another little tip is to score the material if you want to make accurate bends then it makes it easyier to bolt bumpers up then ya dont have to weld.. hope this helps out..
olskillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote