Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: Ideas for next season Scale Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Ideas for next season Scale Series

What do you want to see for the second season?
Locations???
Rule Changes???
What did you like, and what didn't you like.
What do you want from this next season???
Post up ideas/concerns and we'll try to get everything ironed out and get the next series started in March.
Thanks
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

maybe a hardcore class and a weekend warrior class?
bmx_ican92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Why don't you guys come south a little, I could help you organize at Palmer park. We also know a couple other places between Denver and the Springs
lwb Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
What do you want to see for the second season?
Locations???
Rule Changes???
What did you like, and what didn't you like.
What do you want from this next season???
Post up ideas/concerns and we'll try to get everything ironed out and get the next series started in March.
Thanks
Locations:
I like a lot of the places we went this year, but I would like to see some new places as well. I PM'd you about a place I'd like to use, and will call the county today to find out what is up with it, and if we are allowed to run there or not.
We've got drivers from all over the area, so it's hard finding a "Central" place. If we get enough notice to something further away, then it should be fine. So, palmer, buffalo creek, etc would be good choices. As long as it seems fair (one month it's on the west side of town, the next it's on the east side, etc.)

Rule Changes:
I think there should be a change to the point system.
I think we should adopt some of the new MSD rules, like +2 for winching, per winch-anchor (move the winch point = another +2) and +5 or +7 (rather than +10) for each "rescue" (buddy winch.)
Helps make you think about how to drive the course and whether the +2 is worth saving from hitting a gate or is it just worth taking 2 reverses to line up better.
I like their 1/4 rollback rule, especially for rigs without drag brake or with a weak drag brake. (XL-5 ESC or Titan Motors?) Also helps if you are releasing from a winch point and the rig rolls back a little.

We also need to get a little deeper into distinguishing how many points tube/metal/custom work is worth. The point being that if someone takes the time to make a nice cage, or do something custom, they should be rewarded more than someone just throwing a scale sleeping bag in the bed.

I like our rules now, for the most part, so a mixture of what is best between the old rules, and the new MSD rules would be good.

I don't like thier new class system though. I think we can keep it as 1.9s and 2.2s. There is a clear distinction between what each rim sized rig is capable of, and they shouldn't be competing against each other.

What did you like/didn't like:
I like Sundays for the events, helps make it so more people can show up, and doesn't have too much conflict with other events.
I didn't like running one course at a time from some events, if we can be running 2 or 3 courses at once, that would be preferable, sort of like how the comp crawler comps are done. It's not a big deal though, because while you wait for your turn, you can be BS'ing with everyone, and just hanging out, or watching the guy that's running. This also may be affected by the location, and how we want to layout courses, etc.

What do you want from the next season:
If there is enough interest, a Micro class would be cool. There are tons of model bodies that look great on a MiRC. I don't have one (yet) but think that would be fun to do after the main events.
I'd like to see how many scale points were awarded to each driver, along with the results from each course (time on timed run, score on gated course, etc) to see what you are up against. This is a little more work, but I think it will help someone understand if they want to do better, where they can improve. I can help get together a spreadsheet that would make it easy to tabulate the scores, and display them here.

In the end though, I want this to stay as the fun events they are, and don't want to get too bogged down in rules. Those that want to compete nationally know what the rules are there, and they can build their rigs to match if they want.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Leave simple the way it is, just add more gated courses....I want to use the winch as much as possible...That's the fun for me!!

Thanks Todd
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Is there anyway to add in 1.55?
neoakaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakaj View Post
Run it in 1.9.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post
Leave simple the way it is, just add more gated courses....I want to use the winch as much as possible...That's the fun for me!!

Thanks Todd
I do think Cato is right to keep it simple, but also might not be a bad idea to incorporate some of the Nats rules as well. Just to be aware of what they are doing and be prepared for those of us thinking about attending this year.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I guess when I stated rules I ment more about scale deductions. I think for the most part the rules are good.

I think there needs to be a penality for being helped though gates, either being winched or pulled with a pull strap. Basically any help by someone not being scored on the course.

I think setting a limit for points accured on a course, having a point out limit, as to not have someone one course for 10-15 minutes.
Do we want to limit tires that are allowed like MSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx_ican92 View Post
maybe a hardcore class and a weekend warrior class?
Not sure what your meaning here.
2.2 class is more like a hard core class and the 1.9 seems more like a weekend class. I don't want to change the rig classifacations. There will be a 1.9 and 2.2 class. At some of the events I have heard interest in a "unlimited" class where dig and 4ws could be used. I think this could be a fun class and if there would be the interest and enough guys to run it at each event then we could add that class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwb Sami View Post
Why don't you guys come south a little, I could help you organize at Palmer park. We also know a couple other places between Denver and the Springs
I don't think there is an issue about heading south, but this season no one really showed any interest in going down there. I know you guys are there, but at the same time there were 6 events held and not one of you springs guys made an effort to come up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Locations:
I like a lot of the places we went this year, but I would like to see some new places as well. I PM'd you about a place I'd like to use, and will call the county today to find out what is up with it, and if we are allowed to run there or not.
We've got drivers from all over the area, so it's hard finding a "Central" place. If we get enough notice to something further away, then it should be fine. So, palmer, buffalo creek, etc would be good choices. As long as it seems fair (one month it's on the west side of town, the next it's on the east side, etc.)

Rule Changes:
I think there should be a change to the point system.
I think we should adopt some of the new MSD rules, like +2 for winching, per winch-anchor (move the winch point = another +2) and +5 or +7 (rather than +10) for each "rescue" (buddy winch.)
Helps make you think about how to drive the course and whether the +2 is worth saving from hitting a gate or is it just worth taking 2 reverses to line up better.
I like their 1/4 rollback rule, especially for rigs without drag brake or with a weak drag brake. (XL-5 ESC or Titan Motors?) Also helps if you are releasing from a winch point and the rig rolls back a little.

We also need to get a little deeper into distinguishing how many points tube/metal/custom work is worth. The point being that if someone takes the time to make a nice cage, or do something custom, they should be rewarded more than someone just throwing a scale sleeping bag in the bed.

I like our rules now, for the most part, so a mixture of what is best between the old rules, and the new MSD rules would be good.

I don't like thier new class system though. I think we can keep it as 1.9s and 2.2s. There is a clear distinction between what each rim sized rig is capable of, and they shouldn't be competing against each other.

What did you like/didn't like:
I like Sundays for the events, helps make it so more people can show up, and doesn't have too much conflict with other events.
I didn't like running one course at a time from some events, if we can be running 2 or 3 courses at once, that would be preferable, sort of like how the comp crawler comps are done. It's not a big deal though, because while you wait for your turn, you can be BS'ing with everyone, and just hanging out, or watching the guy that's running. This also may be affected by the location, and how we want to layout courses, etc.

What do you want from the next season:
If there is enough interest, a Micro class would be cool. There are tons of model bodies that look great on a MiRC. I don't have one (yet) but think that would be fun to do after the main events.
I'd like to see how many scale points were awarded to each driver, along with the results from each course (time on timed run, score on gated course, etc) to see what you are up against. This is a little more work, but I think it will help someone understand if they want to do better, where they can improve. I can help get together a spreadsheet that would make it easy to tabulate the scores, and display them here.

In the end though, I want this to stay as the fun events they are, and don't want to get too bogged down in rules. Those that want to compete nationally know what the rules are there, and they can build their rigs to match if they want.
Yea we've had some good pm's and ideas.

I'm not sure about the penalty for winching though. I know others are opposed to it also. I think that there should be less scale deduction or no deduction for it, but I don't think that in the 1:1 world they penalize it's use. I know that many like the winching aspect of the scale classes, (Cato, me, I'm sure others as well) and to penalize for it would take away the reason to use it in the first place. I would rather be able to not have to use it and drive the whole corse, but think it is a very cool part of the scaler class. In comparison, to me it would be like penalizing the use of dig in the comp side of things. I see it as part of a rig, a intrial piece that makes it capable. No more or less important then picking the right tires, servo, or speed control. Courses continue to get more difficult, and with the new kits that have been coming out, many of these are as capable as some of the older comp crawlers before dig came out.

I would also like to give additional scale points for tube work and a point system to make it were it would be worth people to add it to there rigs.

There are some good things in the new MSD rules, and some things that I don't like. I want to see what everyone thinks and try to come up with rules that are fair and pretty straight forward, but don't limit peoples creativity and most of all the fun of the scale class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post

Thanks Todd

I do not want to complicate it at all. Just really try to define some of the scale deductions.
I'm with you on the winching part of things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakaj View Post
For now Turtle is correct, they would have to be run in the 1.9 class.
With there only being 4 tires out and two of them being as tall or taller then the 1.9 tires out, I don't see a reason to add a class just for 1.55.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Do we want to limit tires that are allowed like MSD?
I think only if they don't look scale. Rovers, Claws, Panthers and etc. just don't look the part....sorry guys for those of you that are running them, but in my opinion it's just not a scale looking tire. The Grabbers I would say are on the border, they classify them as a comp tire but still look very scale, not much different than narrowed Mashers.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
I think only if they don't look scale. Rovers, Claws, Panthers and etc. just don't look the part....sorry guys for those of you that are running them, but in my opinion it's just not a scale looking tire. The Grabbers I would say are on the border, they classify them as a comp tire but still look very scale, not much different than narrowed Mashers.

X2
timmy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
I agree, sort of. I run rovers, and used to run claws, since that's what was left over from the comp rig. Almost all "Scale tires" are twice as much as what someone can get a set of rovers or claws for. That in itself isn't a reason to not exclude comp tires though.

In the interest of trying for a scale appearance, I'd say that rule makes sense. The point is that you want to have scale characteristics in how it performs, and having a comp tire detracts from that... I guess if we do that, I'll just have to save my pennies and get a scale tire.

The point is, we've always been laid back about what we let run the courses, so I doubt we're turning anyone away just because they've got Hammers, Claws or Rovers.

What about their rule about modifying two different tires into one? What's the thoughts on that?

Last edited by monkeyracer; 01-12-2010 at 11:36 PM.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
[HOONIGAN]

I agree with the scale tires rule. I also think metal bumpers, metal tube cages, and metal rock sliders should be worth a lot more points then plastic.... I think there should be a small winch penalty every time you use your winch but every time you help someone with your winch you should be rewarded. I think we ought to have buddy courses like we used too. and most importantly MORE ROCK RACING

Last edited by RPMJ; 01-12-2010 at 07:04 PM.
RPMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #14