Notices

Thread: Hobbytown sticks it to ya!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Hobbytown sticks it to ya!

I just priced these
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWZG8&P=ML

at Hobbytown here in the Springs and they want 75 bucks for them! Can you say price gouging?!
I really am finding it hard to even go into that store anymore with their extremely over priced stuff!
durwank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durwank View Post
I just priced these
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWZG8&P=ML

at Hobbytown here in the Springs and they want 75 bucks for them! Can you say price gouging?!
I really am finding it hard to even go into that store anymore with their extremely over priced stuff!
That's the curse of living in the springs. arguably the best natural crawling in the country and no hobby store to support it.

I'd recommend you get a subscription to tower hobbies. You'll save a bunch of money and the wait will be less than ordering it from the lhs ( because they probably don't have what you need in stock)
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

isnt this the reason its called hobby clown? lol they have a few cheap parts but those parts are exactly that... cheap.
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #4

Default Htw

Hobbytown to the north in westminster does not carry those battery's the one down in the springs is owned by someone else
hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootie View Post
Hobbytown to the north in westminster does not carry those battery's the one down in the springs is owned by someone else

Hell, the one down here doesn't carry them either. I just called them with the part # and had them give me a price if they could order them. They NEVER have anything in stock and IF they do it's way over priced!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Holdin my 40oz.

Most of the time they will be at or lower their major competitiors, and on some of the crawler parts, they charge what the manufactures suggest they sell it at. If you cant afford to support your local hobby shops right now then dont, but dont go in to them crying about issues your having when the stuff you bought elsewhere malfunctions. Cause it wont be their problem then.

WA wa waaaaa.....
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I'm not sure how it is in the Springs, but the owner of the Westminster, Longmont and Ft. Collins Hobbytowns is a pretty good guy, and his stores have price-matched the online places many times for me. They've also helped me out with product issues on the spot. I'll admit there's plenty of times when I can't find or get what I want, but I always try them first before I go online. I figure if the local hobby stores go under, the hobby will suffer greatly for it. Just sayin!
SLODRIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikax10 View Post
Most of the time they will be at or lower their major competitiors, and on some of the crawler parts, they charge what the manufactures suggest they sell it at. If you cant afford to support your local hobby shops right now then dont, but dont go in to them crying about issues your having when the stuff you bought elsewhere malfunctions. Cause it wont be their problem then.

WA wa waaaaa.....
If the colorado springs stores even carried crawler parts it would be an improvement. The reason we don't have a bigger crawler scene down here is that the hobby shops don't support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLODRIVE View Post
I'm not sure how it is in the Springs, but the owner of the Westminster, Longmont and Ft. Collins Hobbytowns is a pretty good guy, and his stores have price-matched the online places many times for me. They've also helped me out with product issues on the spot. I'll admit there's plenty of times when I can't find or get what I want, but I always try them first before I go online. I figure if the local hobby stores go under, the hobby will suffer greatly for it. Just sayin!

Sorry, yes, this is only a thread about the HobbyClown's here in the springs. I've tried to price match stuff and they won't budge on prices (tried on my losi MRC and when I purchased a LCC)

I would kill to have a shop like Finishline down here.

To the hobbytowns in colorado springs:
If you are willing to support the RC crawling hobby in colorado springs, I will gladly volunteer my time to organize events and build a small indoor course for your store.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Not to mention other than marty, none of the hobbytown people seem even interested in RC
bmx_ican92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Hobby town in the springs has never been good, i ordered more or less everything online until i move to Denver
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #11

Quote:
I HAVE TO BACK MY BOY HOOTIE ON THIS ONE, OUR HOOBYTOWN IS GREAT with crawler parts and special orders THEY are on point, now on a business standpoint, and i run family business, we are allowed to make a profit, look at it this way, we have to pay help, insurance, business licences, business tax, sales tax, lights, heat, rent, the air that just escaped when u walk in the door aint free, customers track the floors, shelves, exc.. so cleaning supplys come into play.. we barely make a profit in any business, the internet stores have little overhead.. so the items you purchase are priced in a store front to offset these expenditures.. ive priced crawler stuff thru distributors and a hobbystore is lucky to make a 15% profit per item.. i run grocery and liquor stores but its about the same.. just sayin.. we are invan expensive hobby.. period lol..
jayboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
To the hobbytowns in colorado springs:
If you are willing to support the RC crawling hobby in colorado springs, I will gladly volunteer my time to organize events and build a small indoor course for your store.
X2!!!! our scene would blow up if you LHS supported us!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikax10 View Post

WA wa waaaaa.....
Whatever..dude!

Like some of the other guys here have said, the Hobbyclown here in the Springs is a joke! A gallon of 20% nitro costs over 45 bucks here but at the one in Westminster it will be 30 something. If you can't see that this is price gouging then I don't know what to tell you.
As for supporting my LHS, I have just placed an order for these batteries with Pikes Peak R/C Hobbies here in the Springs and Dan ( the owner ) had NO problem matching Tower Hobbies price on them! Heck, he even went a little lower! This is an airplane store but Dan will order parts for us if you give him a part #. He's a good guy and I will support his store!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Another example: An OS#8 glow plug at Dan's store is about 8 bucks. At Hobbyclown they are nearly 14!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Sounds like it's worth the drive to go to Westminster
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #16

X2!!!
hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Glassman View Post
X3

I really like this store. I've had great experiences shopping there. I am willing to pay a little more to have a local store. And they have matched several prices there for me. I was just shopping there today. Plus, as sikax10 has stated, helped me several times with questions and issues.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #18

Quote:
X2!!!
lol i back hootie again.. for you guys that cant see the business side of it, take into account.. paid help, business taxes, sales taxes, employee taxes, rent, insurance, lights, cleaning services, heat and air, not to mentionca HUGE CHUNK OF money a store makes goes to corperate for use of a business name.., so on top of that theyre lucky to turn a 15% per item profit, i come from running business i kno overhead.. online stores have LITTLE overhead.. we are in an expensive hobby, period
jayboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Glassman View Post
I live in Morrison and it's also worth the drive to Westy. Colpar hobbies out west sucks donkey balls as well. Glad Finishline is moving west.
MtnBkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
X3

I really like this store. I've had great experiences shopping there. I am willing to pay a little more to have a local store. And they have matched several prices there for me. I was just shopping there today. Plus, as sikax10 has stated, helped me several times with questions and issues.
once again.... we are talking about the two worthless shops that we have here intown... its almost to the point where we are just gonna have to do a car pool once a week to YOUR local store up there, because here there is one person that knows about rc. everyone else that works there.... well lets just say that when you ask them about internal springs, there response will more than likely be... "oh, well theres no such thing in dungeons and dragons.. sorry about that." and you would be lucky to get the sorry part!