Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: anyone know a cheap lock smith in the springs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Angry anyone know a cheap lock smith in the springs?

i am going to be fixing my head gasket soon, and i just remember that i broke my only key to my jeep. and to make things worse i cant find the other half. so now i need to get a locksmith out to my house to make me a new one.... the only person ive found wants atleast 130 bucks to do it.. i dont know if this is a good price... i just wanted to know if any of you springs guys know someone that is a good lock smith??? thanks!
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2010, 05:10 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

i would call the local dealer and find out if they can do it from the vin number,,if they can then take our title to them and have them do it
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That sucks!
durwank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Would be cheaper to go get a new lock cylinder and key and put that in.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Cool

I'd get it started and running for you' man - but you still would'nt have a key LoL' check with the dealer's first and call around too' - I'd be damm' if I was going to put that kinda' money into some slick'-pick-dick's pocket just to make him rich' for aLil' trick - ya' know's - Hope you find someone local to help you out brotha'.
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrockr View Post
Would be cheaper to go get a new lock cylinder and key and put that in.
X2, that's what I had to do on my old jeep it's an easy fix.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
X2, that's what I had to do on my old jeep it's an easy fix.
how much is it going that route? because the dealership wants over 200 to reissue me a key! those bastards! lol i can do the 125 for the guy to come to my house and do it... but i dont know if thats a good price. but how much did you guys spend to replace the whole ignition? thank you everyone for your help!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

hum, I can't remember, I had a 1976 cj-7, took it down to the frame and redid the entire rig. I put in new axles, transmission, transfer case, klune V, motor, ARB air lockers... the list goes on and on. I did the lock cylinder at the same time I put in a new wiring harness from painless wiring. Long story short I dropped about 30k in parts alone. My dad and I did all the labor. Wish I still had the jeep... I will get another one someday...
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Cool

Fawk' that cody- Hold on to your money and try and rebuild the damm' thing yourself - even if you had to rewire it up - check with some of the Auto part's store's around there or some bump'shop's,- junkyard's, - ya' know that type of bussiness'es first of all - andyou maybe could go and mount up a whole new aftermarket switch into your dash -hey' I know you'd want it all right as it was or have a key again and be done what that' - but don't just go along with some dude who's got a set price' - s all I'm saying brotha' and Don't go blowing the doe' just yet' - First go ahead and fix the gasket an all' - and just hot wire it,...?!! if you need to turn it over -This really suck's I know man' I feel ya' too - Scoot'.

Last edited by scootertrash; 03-25-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
Fawk' that cody- Hold on to your money and try and rebuild the damm' thing yourself - even if you had to rewire it up - check with some of the Auto part's store's around there or some bump'shop's,- junkyard's, - ya' know that type of bussiness'es first of all - andyou maybe could go and mount up a whole new aftermarket switch into your dash -hey' I know you'd want it all right as it was or have a key again and be done what that' - but don't just go along with some dude who's got a set price' - s all I'm saying brotha' and Don't go blowing the doe' just yet' - First go ahead and fix the gasket an all' - and just hot wire it,...?!! if you need to turn it over -This really suck's I know man' I feel ya' too - Scoot'.
for sure. it would only be 10 bucks to replace the key but my dumb ass lost the other half. i wanna get it done right because i have over 3000 dollars into my stereo. if i replace just the ignition then i would have to replace all the locks too. as its what they call a dummy key. one key that works the locks and the ignition!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
i would call the local dealer and find out if they can do it from the vin number,,if they can then take our title to them and have them do it
x2, I've done this a few times. Just make sure you have vehicle registration and they should be able to make you a new key with just the VIN number.
MtnBkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
hum, I can't remember, I had a 1976 cj-7, took it down to the frame and redid the entire rig. I put in new axles, transmission, transfer case, klune V, motor, ARB air lockers... the list goes on and on. I did the lock cylinder at the same time I put in a new wiring harness from painless wiring. Long story short I dropped about 30k in parts alone. My dad and I did all the labor. Wish I still had the jeep... I will get another one someday...
why would you do such a thing lol. i wish i had that jeep too! sound like a sick rig! you got any pics? my dad (rip) had a cj7 lifted 12 inches sittin on 44 inch swampers! i loved that jeep!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnBkr View Post
x2, I've done this a few times. Just make sure you have vehicle registration and they should be able to make you a new key with just the VIN number.
i called them and they told me it would be 2 hundred and some change to do it at the dealer.... those bastards over charge for every thing! lol
Old 03-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

here is the reason my head gasket is blown... lol
first time though i was ok, its the 2nd on that got me! lol

Old 03-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Talking

That's the shit's 4 Sur' - and I bet it was fun too man' - nice rig' you got there too'.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
That's the shit's 4 Sur' - and I bet it was fun too man' - nice rig' you got there too'.
well we were about 2 hours from the house and within the first 30 min of 4wheelin i decided it would make for a cool pic to go through the water.... lol lets just say it was a cool pic, but so not worth it!lol
Old 03-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
how much is it going that route?
New lock and key ( make sure you tell them lock and key not ignition switch ) from any of the checker type auto stores is probably in the neighborhood of $30 or so. Not hard to put in at all, google is your friend.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
i called them and they told me it would be 2 hundred and some change to do it at the dealer.... those bastards over charge for every thing! lol
Holy hell, that is crazy!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrockr View Post
New lock and key ( make sure you tell them lock and key not ignition switch ) from any of the checker type auto stores is probably in the neighborhood of $30 or so. Not hard to put in at all, google is your friend.
It's a lot harder though without a key. It's easy to pull out the cylinder if you have the key, takes 20 seconds. Without a key you'll need to get really friendly with your drill and take out the tumblers... assuming were all talking about the ignition lock cylinder.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnBkr View Post
It's a lot harder though without a key. It's easy to pull out the cylinder if you have the key, takes 20 seconds. Without a key you'll need to get really friendly with your drill and take out the tumblers... assuming were all talking about the ignition lock cylinder.
im about to just spend the 125 to have a new key made... its ether i buy a new ignition setup and all new locks... or just pay to have this guy come make a new one and no have to deal with replacing everything... thanks anyway guys but im just gonna suck it up and pay the man 125 just to get it done... that way i dont have to struggle with replacing everything.