Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: Fort Crawlinsss!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #1

Default Fort Crawlinsss!

Anyone around Ft Collins wanna get together and crawl? New to the forum and north Colorado and wondering how the area is.
Lazytrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Lots of places up around Horsetooth to crawl, that's where I usually go.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #3

Cool man yea I went there to soldier dam and it was pretty damn rad, do y'all have gtg in the area? Ive been crawling red feather often and have some nice spots found so I'll get pics up once I figure out how to use a iPhone.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

The playground at the west end of horsetooth ( the road not the reservoir) is one of my favorite spots. There's a big rock climbing thing that looks like a head on its side. Its like mini-moab but gray. Gotta get there early or you'll have a train of kids following it around poking it. Also behind it a ways there's a mtb pump track that looks like it could be fun for a stadium truck and a trials course that may be fun for a crawler too. I should realy get up to the reservoir and check it out. Maybe a good reason to go campin.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #5

Niiice I'm sure it's the trials course I'm thinking of at the end of overland, and your right about the gettin there early thing for sure but I will definantly go back to crawl that headamuhjigger
Old 08-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrockr View Post
Lots of places up around Horsetooth to crawl, that's where I usually go.

Thats a prettygeneral location, anywhere specific? Is it loose rock piles or big slabs of slick rock? Wanna find a new spot I can play around at if I sleep in and can't go to the playgrounds.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

There are literally tons of spots, some right off the road, some you go into Lory State park and hike in, some like the couple comp spots we've used are a short hike from the parking lot down to the lake. You'll find anything from big sandstone slabs to lots of rip-rap type stuff. Water level determines which spots I go hit, I like going into the state park and hiking in to some of the coves.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I decided to check out the poudre river scene to avoid some of the heat. Pulled off a buncha times where the boats put in and it was alright. pulled off on the Ouzel picnic area and was pretty sweet! I'll be scouting this out more on thursday with a friend who has a super. When it cools down I'll definetly check out that Horsetooth scene. I want to avoid sharp rock piles, all thy seem o do is break sh!t when i get bound up.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
RCC Addict

i got a little corse in my back yard.. if anyone wants to help build something i have some room to do it and some rock and want to put in a pond or 2 ...could do something there also.. i also like the park at the west end of horsetooth rd. ....lets try to get something goin for a crawl.. i also have access to 70+ acers up on co/wyo border on 287, all private and used for paitball field.. come on ft collins lets get together..I want to meet some ppl and find a crawlin group.
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #10

LETS CRAWL buggynut! send me a pm with yer number and lets get you a course built, under regional oklahoma theres pics of the course me and my old cronies built at adams creek, check it out and grab ideas cuz we did some "new" stuff that hasnt been seen elsewhere, i tried to attach the images but im either too new or just retarded(id say the latter)-Lazy

Last edited by Lazytrain; 08-18-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: also wanna suggest deadman road up at red feather lakes, theres one spot that would be the ultimate for a gtg/comp!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #11

I would love to get together with
Some foco locals. Send me
A pm with a date and time.
Gpmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #12

Buggynut do u know Ec?
Old 08-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Just took a stroll down spring creek trail. There's a pretty good spot at Edora park where Riverside ave. crosses the creek. Its at the end of the 5th hole of the disc golf course but the rocks are big and its a decent stretch of them and its in town. Also if you go east on the trail there's a couple spots that may be good where the trail goes under timberline and prospect. Lots o rocks. I'd be down for a get together sometime. I start back at CSU next week so it may be a while before I know how my schedule will pan out.

Has anyone tried the rock store at the north end of town right before you get to laporte? That place could be heaven if they let us in. Maybe a good comp spot.

Last edited by dudegetabike; 08-18-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I'll be crawling with a buddy in Poudre Canyon tomorrow. First stop at the Ouzel picnic area then see where it goes (may depend on how the kids feel like behaving) I want to try t get there around 10:30 or 11:00. Join if you like
Old 08-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #15

i gotta couple things to do to my rig but i dont see why i couldnt be ready by the morning, wheres ouzel at??
Old 08-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpmo View Post
Buggynut do u know Ec?

I dont know anyone here that is into rc crawlin except my daughter and father inlaw... Im goin down to denver to the ttc, anyone else going from ft collins...just goin to watch and get some rig ideas..
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #17

i thought about making it there, also just to spectate. what time are you leaving? if i could follow thatd be great, ive never been to westy before
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #18

If you want a small spot, the corner of Lemay and Trilby. The south west corner is an apartment complex and right on the corner is a spot with some rocks set in conrete. Good for scale or 2.2

buggynut, the reason i had asked was a buddy of mine goes up with his paintball group to a plot of private land on co/wyo border. I don't think that he is into crawlers either.

We should try and get a group meet up in poudre canyon on a weekend sometime.

Gpmo
Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Sorry for the late reply. Ouzel is a picnic area in poudre canyon. Its around 15~20 min in. Drive till you start passing a bunch of houses right on the road, then its like 3 or 4 miles more on the right side (river side) of the road. Good spot, has a john and picnic tables. We'll have some kids but only 3 and they should be occupied. If not, they are always good at flippin the cars wheels down for me. Name is James, I'll be there with buddy Peter in a Black Suburban, early 2000's body style. If you can't make it this time we should hook up some other time. I'd love to see some other builds to get ideas for the future.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazytrain View Post
Niiice I'm sure it's the trials course I'm thinking of at the end of overland, and your right about the gettin there early thing for sure but I will definantly go back to crawl that headamuhjigger

If you hit this up, let me know what you think. I thought it was super fun and could be as challenging as you want it to be depending on the line you commit to. I'm curious to see what someone else thinks of it.