Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: CORCC Sport class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
MODERHATER™

Default CORCC Sport class

Wondering what everyones thought on making the Sport class more open, allowing MOA and dig....

It would be a class for strictly beginners new to the crawling sport.

Last year we on average had 5 Sport drivers each comp and they were shafty only, no dig.

Will allowing MOA and dig into the Sport class kill it for some?

If we allow dig and MOA into the sport class why have the separation and just run one 2.2 class?

Please discuss. I need your input.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Ive been a part of this discussion around town and I personally think that the seperation needs to be Novice ,Sportsman and Pro.

Novice,,,any new driver with any rig in 2.2 spec

Sportsman,,,any driver with a digless rig or any Novice driver who has won 3 consecutive 3 course events or placed in the top 3 drivers in 3 consecutive events,,,which ever works best.

Then Pro,,,any driver with any rig in 2.2 spec who wants to compete. Any driver with a dig compatible rig who has won 3 consecutive 3 course Sportsman events or placed in the top 3 drivers in 3 consecutive Sportsman events,,,which ever works best.

Novice drivers shouldnt have to pay in.
Money awards or trophies or whatever.
Maybe consider a SERIES PAY-IN,,,$25 for 5 events or $30 for 6 events or whatever. I know some people wont make some events but that is a risk we all run,,things happen in all of our lives.

Sporstman and Novice course is seperate from Pro course then Pros can run a Sportsman course and the Pro course if they so choose,,and vice versa, with the Pro rig digless or a seperate sportsman rig. I realize this would require more course set up time but would allow for multiple drivers to compete at once, and drivers could crawl a seperate course while wating their turn or whatever works.

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 09-25-2010 at 07:17 PM.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

i thank a sportsman class should be just that a sportsman class no dig not a novice class novice should run the same cours but less gates and make the cours progessively harder with the same number of gates as pro
Steve13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

i think a sporty class would be good....no dig/disabled dig shafty trucks only....using the if you dig in sporty auto dq for the course rule....just my 2 cents....not running sporty anymore myself so its not personal preference.... thats just the most common sporty layout
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Wondering what everyones thought on making the Sport class more open, allowing MOA and dig....

Last year we on average had 5 Sport drivers each comp and they were shafty only, no dig.

If we allow dig and MOA into the sport class why have the separation and just run one 2.2 class?

As per our discussion, I think having an amateur class allowing all crawler types, MOA, Shafty, w/ or w/o dig, could benefit this group.

They just want to come and crawl on set courses, with a group who can help them become better drivers.

That way they can achieve a level they are happy with.

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid plate View Post
As per our discussion, I think having an amateur class allowing all crawler types, MOA, Shafty, w/ or w/o dig, could benefit this group.

They just want to come and crawl on set courses, with a group who can help them become better drivers.

That way they can achieve a level they are happy with.
JC
I agree with JC. Let them throw in $5 like everyone else for the event, no series fee or just lower fee since it's not for nats spots or anything unless they step up to pro in the first couple comps to go for a nats spot. I don't think splitting them up by truck type is any benifit, it's like any other sport. Gotta have the right equipment if you wanna do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post

Sporstman and Novice course is seperate from Pro course then Pros can run a Sportsman course and the Pro course if they so choose,,and vice versa, with the Pro rig digless or a seperate sportsman rig. I realize this would require more course set up time but would allow for multiple drivers to compete at once, and drivers could crawl a seperate course while wating their turn or whatever works.
Biggest problem with that is we already are pushing time limits for the day running 3 classes, there just isn't enough daylight to add more courses. Getting people to step up to setup courses, judge, and run in a timely fashion is hard to do.

Last edited by slowrockr; 09-26-2010 at 08:58 AM.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I think that piss ants are the Sport Class.
Let it be an Amateur run what you brung. Give them the first 5 gates like usual.
Im going to buy my wife a XR10. She has never drivin before and I would like to get her into this sport. Why should I go and buy a 300.00 shafty when i can buy a 300.00 MOA.
Hoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

that is a good point........but....i saw a moa in sporty at brunos...it pretty much had dig from the clod stall lol......thats why i am kinda anti moa for sporty.......but i do agree that a addition of moa's would bring more people in that just got or going to get an xr10 that are new to the rocks....i dunno it one of those cant please everyone things
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

It would be like putting Top Fuel with funny car and pro mod all together. Whos going to win. Maybe give moas a 5 min time limit and shaftys with no dig 6 min course. Revereses do add points and no dig seems to get alot of reverses. When I bought my $300 shafty I didn't have a $300 MOA option. I stepped up because its fun and I want to get better at driving and reading lines. Back in the day when I dragged race 1/24 slot cars the owner didnt pay out as much but he also handed out 1st, 2nd and finals winner dash plaques for our tool boxes and for series final BBQ and trophies. Their are alot of new faces I've been seeing in the local hobby shops and they mostly start with a no dig rig. Maybe 3 classes are needed, no dig, dig & moa amateur and pro class. Only 1 course for all 3 classes like we did last series. First 5 gates no dig and amateur and next 5 gates for pro.
Joe Bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bonkers View Post
It would be like putting Top Fuel with funny car and pro mod all together. Whos going to win. Maybe give moas a 5 min time limit and shaftys with no dig 6 min course. Revereses do add points and no dig seems to get alot of reverses. When I bought my $300 shafty I didn't have a $300 MOA option. I stepped up because its fun and I want to get better at driving and reading lines. Back in the day when I dragged race 1/24 slot cars the owner didnt pay out as much but he also handed out 1st, 2nd and finals winner dash plaques for our tool boxes and for series final BBQ and trophies. Their are alot of new faces I've been seeing in the local hobby shops and they mostly start with a no dig rig. Maybe 3 classes are needed, no dig, dig & moa amateur and pro class. Only 1 course for all 3 classes like we did last series. First 5 gates no dig and amateur and next 5 gates for pro.
Very nice, thanks for that!!
Old 09-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post

Would having bypass gates for the non dig havers help?
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #12

Just my opinion, But I believe the no dig shafties should be in their own class(sportsman). The crawlers with dig or MOA should have their own class. I believe alot of people new to the hobby will buy the rtr crawlers like the axial or night crawler for the conveniance of not building a kit or buy a rig off one of you that have gone to moa. If they have to compete against a dig equiped crawler or a moa and get smoked. You may have lost their future participation. I say keep them separate(sportsman and pro).
icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

If were going to run all 3 classes maybe only run finals for the pro class, 1.9 and Supers.? Same course 1st 5 gates as suggested above, might be manageable.
Will there be a minimum number of drivers per class?

Last edited by Hoppa; 09-26-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Hoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer View Post
Just my opinion, But I believe the no dig shafties should be in their own class(sportsman). The crawlers with dig or MOA should have their own class. I believe alot of people new to the hobby will buy the rtr crawlers like the axial or night crawler for the conveniance of not building a kit or buy a rig off one of you that have gone to moa. If they have to compete against a dig equiped crawler or a moa and get smoked. You may have lost their future participation. I say keep them separate(sportsman and pro).
I agree, that is why I do not like the amateur class idea fazing out the sport no dig shafty class. I would like to hear more people that feel the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppa View Post
If were going to run all 3 classes maybe only run finals for the pro class, 1.9 and Supers.? Same course 1st 5 gates as suggested above, might be manageable.
Top 5 finals for only PRO 2.2, 1.9 and super is not a bad idea.

I think a minimum of 5 to even run a class is a good idea.

What does everyone else think?

Input is needed!
Old 09-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppa View Post
I think thats a good point, maybe it should be kept at a 5 person minimum to run a class?
Otherwise it will get absorbed by another class for that day?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
Would having bypass gates for the non dig havers help?
Just lurkin'...

That seems like a really good idea. In MC trials we would set courses for all levels and seperate expert, advanced, intermediate lines by colored markers and posted splits. The novice and beginners would usually run at a different time altogether, but they were run together with splits on the same courses.

That opens up a whole other set of issues if somebody gets on the wrong split and section, but it is the competitors responsibility to know what splits they are running for their class.

Stan.
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #17
Gettin’ back on the horse

So is everyone thinking of three 2.2 classes right now? Sport, AM and Pro?

With different course for Sport only?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I think thats a good point, maybe it should be kept at a 5 person minimum to run a class?
Otherwise it will get absorbed by another class for that day?

I agree with that for sure. If not 5 then it's too much work for you all to set up Novice courses, provide judging, all the work.

I don't think MOA should be allowed in novice, to me the goal of going to a comp is to have fun, winning is always great but the big picture is about having a good time. If you have an MOA run pro class, you'll get better that much faster and if you have the right attitude for comps then you'll be having a good time even if you come in last multiple times.
I do like the idea of a Novice, Sportsman, and Pro class but the only issue I see is there probably won't be enough competitors to make this worth doing. When I was in Sporty class most of the time we were lucky just to get the 5 drivers to make it happen for us. I run the comps at Finishline and the most I've had there is 6 total. Lastly I think Novice, or Sporty should be no Dig. Keeps it on a more even playing field all around. I do think that if you are owning the sporty class though that you should move up to pro at the end of a given series. It's good though to have some really good novice drivers in the class, it's helps make the newest guys that much better faster IMO. This is where the novice, sporty, pro would be good.....if only there were enough drivers. I would love to compete with my axial in a sporty class if the courses were seperate though for sure.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

what about running the first 5,6,7 gates of the course in reverse for the sportsman/novice,,,then Pro's could actually run both since the course in reverse is in theory a different course.....?
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Why seperate courses. We ran the first 5 gates as sportys last series. Even remembering getting to the sporty finish when some pros couldn't. Patrick and Ty made sure the first 5 gates made us think and find the right line. Not easy. But it made me want to go to the next level.
Joe Bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote