RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Colorado (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/colorado/)
-   -   Crawling Calendar (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/colorado/273650-crawling-calendar.html)

monkeyracer 10-05-2010 12:10 AM

Crawling Calendar

First, I would like to apologize for failing to keep up my volunteer duties to update the calendar. There's no reason for excuses since they don't mean anything, so we can just skip that. I still think that it is a valuable thing to have, and I want to continue helping with it.

I have been messing with a few different things to try to make the calendar a lot easier to use for everyone here. (Especially those that run events.)

I am trying to create a Google Calendar that can be updated by those that run their respective series rather than having to rely solely on me inputting the information. (I know I have not kept up with the calendar, but I am trying to figure out a good solution.)

Google calendar allows you to get notifications of new events, and reminders before the events. Those creating events can invite people to the event (who will get an email about the event.) You can also add this to your own google calendar (which syncs with android and other phones.)

Also, it will integrate with Google Maps to provide directions to attendees.

The question is, since the forum doesn't allow HTML or XML feeds (or at least my user level doesn't allow them), would everyone care to follow a link to access it?

Here's what I've started with so far:

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed...America/Denver

So, what do you guys think? Is this a better solution than the Sticky at the top of this forum? Is it a big deal to have to click that link to see what is going on? (This would replace the info in the sticky) Any other suggestions?

skid plate 10-05-2010 06:56 AM

Gives a nice view of each month.

As long as those that need to keep it updated, I like it alot.

JC
8)

James003 10-05-2010 08:20 AM

I think it's great "thumbsup"

So those of us can add our own events or do we still need to pm the info to you and you'll add it?

Either way it's perfect I think.

Awesome, just synced it with my phone and that's great =)

monkeyracer 10-05-2010 11:54 AM

This is the whole point with looking at the Google calendar, anyone (on the contributor list) can add their own events, no need to PM anyone.
So, those that set up events will need to be added to the list of users that can add and change events, but once you are set up, you are good to go.
Events that are added can be automatically emailed to an invitation list. So, for Series Competitors, they can be notified by email automatically about changes to the events.
A driver can choose to be reminded of an event the day before, or week before, whatever, and get emails when new events are added.
A link back to the RCC thread with details can be added, and google will allow the calendar entry to be searchable (so newbs can find it too)

This way each series can add and update their own events in one combined calendar, to prevent any bias (which was complained about in the other thread) or any special treatment.

The only way this will be better than the previous system is that the event organizers keep it updated.

The forum has a calendar function built in, but it is very limited, and you need special access rights to update or add an event. This google calendar provides an easier way for multiple people to update and add events.

slowrockr 10-05-2010 12:47 PM

Is it really that hard for people to check the comp section for the events?

monkeyracer 10-05-2010 02:33 PM

1. Comp section doesn't show all comps, and won't show non-comp events, get togethers, and special events.
2. Comp section is for all events nationwide, and is hard to pick out the Colorado Specific Events sometimes.
3. Google Calender integrates with Android and other mobile phones, as well as with Google Maps, and is searchable from Google.

This is designed so events and comps are still created in their own threads, for pictures and results to be posted, as well as pertinent info about the event (fees, classes run, etc.) but the dates for the event and links back to the threads are put into the calendar with the location of the event.

When I volunteered to do the calendar originally, I received positive feedback from everyone that they wanted something like that, and when I stopped updating, there were a few threads posted about what happened to it, showing that it is still something people want.

James003 10-05-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowrockr (Post 2671024)
Is it really that hard for people to check the comp section for the events?

not really but this new calendar also gives the comp organizers the ability to post these on our own and lessens the burden on monkeyracer.

I love it and Monkey please add me so I can post my comps at Finishline.

PM me if you need any specific info

monkeyracer 10-05-2010 07:37 PM

Added, anyone else that wants to be added to the contributors list, just PM me with your email (doesn't need to be a gmail email, btw) and I will get you added.

Thanks!

monkeyracer 10-05-2010 07:43 PM

Ok, This calendar will work well, at least we will try it out. Any event organizer that wants to be added to this, just send me a PM with your email.

If you aren't running a series, but have a special event or GTG you want added to the calendar, please send me a PM or an email with details for the event to COCrawlingCalendar@gmail.com.

James003 10-05-2010 07:56 PM

Calendar works awesome and is really easy to use.

I just added all the Finishline Wed. comps.....piece of cake "thumbsup"

70duncan 10-05-2010 07:58 PM

Looks like this could work out well "thumbsup"

I will send you my info, so we can get started with you.

Thanks for the info.