Notices

Thread: Interest in Rally?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #81
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
You guys are going to make me go broke

Ok, since there are about 7 people with the HPI, if Chris gets one then I will too. I was talking to Clint last night, and maybe I can convince him to get one as well.

Honestly I don't have any interest in dumping a ton of cash into this truck, so stock is fine with me. If we can upgrade to run 2S, that would be great, but I'm fine with everything else being left alone.

I just ordered one this morning........ At the rally track speed won't matter much a better handling truck will have more success.
RPMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #82
No idea what I'm doing

So for the rally cars, is everyone running the Tamiya or are you allowed to run what you want as long as it's the same scale? What scale is being run?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #83
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
So for the rally cars, is everyone running the Tamiya or are you allowed to run what you want as long as it's the same scale? What scale is being run?
I've been running a Tamiya DF03 RA but any 1/10 scale car would work. The reason we use that specific car is it is set up for rally type racing. Ty and I were thinking the Traxxas 1/16 scale rally car would be fun too. I think Ty has school all day but I'm sure he will post up soon.......
Old 11-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #84
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMJ View Post
I've been running a Tamiya DF03 RA but any 1/10 scale car would work. The reason we use that specific car is it is set up for rally type racing. Ty and I were thinking the Traxxas 1/16 scale rally car would be fun too. I think Ty has school all day but I'm sure he will post up soon.......
The Traxxas 1/16 is actually the one I was thinking of Rodney! I want to run the same scale as everyone else, so for now I might just get the HPI Mini Trophy Truck (once Chris says he has his ordered). Then once I check out "The Scene", I'll have a better idea of what to get for a car if I decide to go that route.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #85
Pebble Pounder

This looks like fun, not familiar with what vehicles are available to run with you all. can you make a list so I and others have a selection of vehicles to choose from. so far I only see reference to about 3 models
soutthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #86
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:

!0th scale rally is the name of the class, so whatever you want is fine as long as its a 10th scale car. You should know that 4 wheel drive is a must and shaft driven is the way to go. But motors don't matter, the guy that one the last rally class was using a stock tamiya motor, he beat 3 brushless rally cars.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #87
PapaGriz Yo

Hey, can I just run my TA02 Hummer???
Wheelbase: 280mm (11")
Width: 205mm (8")

or what about the Tamiya F150? I have always loved this truck and just need an excuse to buy it.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBKLV&P=7

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 11-08-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
!0th scale rally is the name of the class, so whatever you want is fine as long as its a 10th scale car. You should know that 4 wheel drive is a must and shaft driven is the way to go. But motors don't matter, the guy that one the last rally class was using a stock tamiya motor, he beat 3 brushless rally cars.
@ turtle, not sure if i want another class of RC but if i do is there rules against the new axial EXO?? im just wondering cause im building 2 scalers so idk yet. Me n bigpopa was thinkin about gettin those new ax's when they come out..
jayboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post

or what about the Tamiya F150? I have always loved this truck and just need an excuse to buy it.
TowerHobbies.com | 58495 Tamiya 1/10 1995 Ford F-150 Baja 1000 Kit
Damn I didn't know they still made the F-150! There was a guy at the last race that had the cheynne, but I think it had a advantage over the rally cars with a taller right height, it seemed to make it over the bumps a lot better then the cars. But if that is what you want to do Im ok with it. It would just be good to have you out. Plus Im sure a car body would fit over that.

These events are really just about getting together and having as much fun as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboogie View Post
@ turtle, not sure if i want another class of RC but if i do is there rules against the new axial EXO?? im just wondering cause im building 2 scalers so idk yet. Me n bigpopa was thinkin about gettin those new ax's when they come out..
There is currently an open SC class, that is where they would probably run for right now. I plan to get an Exo as well, so if there are enough people they can be there own class eventually.

But most of the guys I run with only run the Mini Trophy Trucks and Rally cars. Just about any vehicle can run on the track at any time though. I have a SC10 4x4 that I like to run on the track, but I am usually the only one with a short course truck.

But you don't need tons of other people to have a good time, the track is a blast to drive even if you are down there by yourself, which is often how it is when Im there.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #90
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:

Me likey..........
Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #91

Sweet thanx turtle, i didnt event think of the mini trophy truck hmm, now i gotta decide.. thank you for the info, this d@mn hobby is gunna break me at the bank lol..
jayboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #92
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:

You have to buy something new!!!! Just like me
Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #93
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
You have to buy something new!!!! Just like me
Hahahahaha!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #94
No idea what I'm doing

Just to make sure, the Mini-Trophy Truck everyone is running is the regular, not the Brushless Flux version right? I don't want to bring a knife to a gunfight.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #95

Quote:
Just to make sure, the Mini-Trophy Truck everyone is running is the regular, not the Brushless Flux version right? I don't want to bring a knife to a gunfight.
Correct. The one that is around 170.00 shipped from tower.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #96
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMJ View Post
I just ordered one this morning........
Me also. I hope mine doesn't look too much like yours.

Ok PapaGrizz...your turn.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #97
R.I.P. Chip

Bottom line I am getting is, it's just a field with a track built in it and a bunch of guys playing around. I don't see a timing system in place so it's nothing serious. Grab something, charge some batteries and go have some fun.

Right?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Bottom line I am getting is, it's just a field with a track built in it and a bunch of guys playing around. I don't see a timing system in place so it's nothing serious. Grab something, charge some batteries and go have some fun.

Right?
Basically yeah, working on getting a timing system though. It will probably be a little while though. And trying to designate classes to have a level class structure. Plus its cool to watch a bunch of cars or trucks running together on a narrow track rubbing doors the whole time.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #99
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post

Right?
Part of me wants to run something different, I've never been good with spec stuff or stock. I love to not be like the crowd.

But the other part of me says it'll be more fun if everyone has the same type of stuff, no one is at a big advantage or disadvantage, and we're all bangin' doors. I still think of that Slash-day we had at Finishline and how much fun that was.

That's where I'm struggling.........Juan is driving me crazy over here.....
Old 11-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Part of me wants to run something different, I've never been good with spec stuff or stock. I love to not be like the crowd.

But the other part of me says it'll be more fun if everyone has the same type of stuff, no one is at a big advantage or disadvantage, and we're all bangin' doors. I still think of that Slash-day we had at Finishline and how much fun that was.

That's where I'm struggling.........Juan is driving me crazy over here.....
I have a hard time building the same thing as everyone else, I've always got to do something different, though, I do see the point about running the same stuff, so that driver skill can shine. I don't think my rally truck will dominate, actually I think the Trophy Trucks will have a slight advantage, but won't know until we get them on the same track.

The new paint on the Trophy Trucks does make them very tempting though.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote