Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: Anyone in Denver running in SCCA Solo events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anyone in Denver running in SCCA Solo events

Gonna start running the Porsche next month and was wondering if anyone else has done this. Watkins Airport?
lwb Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: Anyone in Denver running in SCCA Solo events

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwb Sami View Post
Gonna start running the Porsche next month and was wondering if anyone else has done this. Watkins Airport?
I got a buddy who runs his STi in it. I never ran solo, but I ran the SCCA Rallycross, its suppose to be really similar, besides the whole dirt thing.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I got a buddy who runs his STi in it. I never ran solo, but I ran the SCCA Rallycross, its suppose to be really similar, besides the whole dirt thing.
Sweet, I remember meeting you and Rodney down south at the rally event a couple years ago. Do you know what class your buddy is in, I noticed because of my suspension I'll be in ASP. There's a couple STIs in that class?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I've been racing around at High Plains Raceway in Deer Trail. High Plains Raceway | Your Colorado Performance Driving and Racing Future

Audi TT, turbo, chipped and exhaust. Must say it's the best time I've ever had behind the wheel. I went though a whole tank of gas last time, it was about 4-1/2 hours total on the track. Beats the shit out of toy cars anyday.

I'll be going back April 13-14 with the Porsche Club of Colorado. 100+ down the straight, RPMS right at the redline all day makes for a great weekend.
Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbaneck View Post
I've been racing around at High Plains Raceway in Deer Trail. High Plains Raceway | Your Colorado Performance Driving and Racing Future

Audi TT, turbo, chipped and exhaust. Must say it's the best time I've ever had behind the wheel. I went though a whole tank of gas last time, it was about 4-1/2 hours total on the track. Beats the shit out of toy cars anyday.

I'll be going back April 13-14 with the Porsche Club of Colorado. 100+ down the straight, RPMS right at the redline all day makes for a great weekend.

That sounds great, I just got a 2003 Twin Turbo, AWD, 911. Looking to have a little fun with it, that sounds awesome. Maybe we can get together out there and have a little fun. I just had a set of Bilstein Coil Overs put on it and set it up to GT3 specs, 100 cell cats and exhaust and had Apikol up in Boulder tune the ecm ( close to 550 horse) it's a blast.

P.S There's a fellow down here at RM Raceway named Roman that says he use to race w/ you back in the day, he told me to tell you hi next time I saw you, he said you should come down and run some laps if you get a chance. Roman has helped me a bunch w/ racing 10th scale buggys!

Last edited by lwb Sami; 01-15-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
RCC Addict

That's badass

I'll have to find out from my instructor what days are better. Winter Rates are $100 for the day. Summer is $150 for the day or $90 for a half. Here's the lapping day info (track times) http://highplainsraceway.com/pdf/HPR...ation-Page.pdf

Racing with other's is way better then beating off solo . The rush you get is just phenomenal.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbaneck View Post
That's badass

I'll have to find out from my instructor what days are better. Winter Rates are $100 for the day. Summer is $150 for the day or $90 for a half. Here's the lapping day info (track times) http://highplainsraceway.com/pdf/HPR...ation-Page.pdf

Racing with other's is way better then beating off solo . The rush you get is just phenomenal.

So is that just a flat rate, do you need any kind of special insurance or any thing other then that flat rate? Does the instructor ride w/ you at all times?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
RCC Addict

From what I picked up last year was you just need common sense behind the wheel. Just about everyone that goes to this track is a hobbiest with one of the Car Clubs is Colorado. Everyone drive's their race car to the track so you better be able to get home. No Bangin or aggressive driving is aloud.

The drivers meeting is just like the R/C track. Yield to the faster cars but hold your line (dont try to get out of the way, ya might wreck), check your mirrors and gauges, etc.

I thought I needed a class but that wasn't the case. My instructor is my Mom's buisness partner so he helped me the first few sessions on the track. Go fast, hit your marks in the corners and make sure you know your braking points. After a few laps It felt like an R/C car and I settled in well.

Here's some info:
All participants with no previous track time during HPR Open Lapping Days are REQUIRED to attend the Information Meeting before they will be allowed on the track. There are NO EXCEPTIONS. The information meeting is held at least once at every Open Lapping Day. Please see the "schedule" section at the top of this document to determine when the Information Meeting is held.
At your first visit of each calendar year you will be required to fill out a new Lapping Day Participant Information Sheet. This form is available at registration or can be downloaded HERE.
Drivers must be 18 years of age or older. Exceptions MAY be made if a driver has a valid competition license and is entered in an upcoming HPR event sanctioned by the club for which the minor holds a competition license. Please contact track management directly to discuss such exceptions.
 Drivers 16-17 who do not hold a valid competition license are allowed, provided they are accompanied AT ALL TIMES on the track by an HPR approved instructor.
 At the sole discretion of HPR management, ANY drivers/riders involved in contact between vehicles are subject to being disciplinary action up to and including permanent expulsion from the facility.
 At the sole discretion of HPR management, ANY drivers/riders who exhibit overly aggressive or otherwise unsafe behavior will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including permanent expulsion from the facility.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

I raced in Solo II for seven years, if that's the Solo you're referring to?

Feel free to ask me anything, I might be able to help.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Sheldon, here's the website for the Porsche Club (RMR)
Rocky Mountain Region Porsche Club

I'll be racing at the end of the Month, Speed Fever IV event, 27-28
Rocky Mountain Region Porsche Club

This website will help you get started. It has all the questions and FAQ.

They just started with the National Club so It's different then what I posted before.

MotorSportREG.com is another site to take a look at for events near you.
https://www.motorsportreg.com/
Old 04-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Corners are scary, that's where the boogeyman hangs out

My car will be getting some cone rash in June, Steamboat autocross at RMMR. Should be fun.
slagburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slagburn View Post
Corners are scary, that's where the boogeyman hangs out
I see hookers standing on the corner's over here

Here's a few pics of some really cool Cup Cars.

Attached Images

Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #13

Nice, Jay! At least those cups are supported somehow..
jakel is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone in Denver running in SCCA Solo events - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solo Adventure Big Daddy Scale Videos! 4 08-13-2012 06:40 AM
Red Solo Cup RANOVRU Chit Chat 26 12-29-2011 11:38 AM
anybody doing any vintage scca trans am racing? m-boromotorhead Non Crawler RC's 3 06-17-2009 11:29 AM
Delthorne Solo Crawl Opedopy Videos! 0 08-12-2008 03:00 PM
Texrok Solo vid cman_1500w Videos! 9 12-15-2004 08:46 AM