Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

Thread: For sale section..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 02:28 AM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default For sale section..

Im sure you guys have been told this before, but Im gonna again. You really need to change how you guys have it set up. The no replies in a thread is pretty retarded. I have done 2 deals on this forum. One went awesome, and one was HORRIBLE. Long story short, I had purchased a truck from a guy that was/is on here (Codeman55) and he apparently "sold" the truck to 4 other people. Now if there was open threads in the for sale section, I would have posted that I had bought it and he wouldnt have been able to sucker 3 other people in on it. So not only did he have the plan to screw not only me, but because he doesnt have to worry about anyone speaking up on it in a thread, he got the oppurtunity to scam 4 other people on this ONE truck..Yeah theres the feedback section but before this, his feedback was good.

Defiantly something I think you guys should look into and rethink. I see the point of people not bumping old threads all day long but if thats a prob, stick a mod in there and if it gets out of hand, delete it.

I just think the way its setup now, its a scammers delight.
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
MODERHATER™

A pretty easy way to prevent that, I use it myself. Ask the person you are buying from to edit the thread say "Sold to -------" If they can not do that, don't buy from them.

On average I approve 1 page of adds a day, about 25 adds, moderating the section would be great like your saying.Have you ever looked at the Axial section, etc...? The reason we changed it was everyone was adding their, "looks cool, thats too much, I can get it cheaper, bitch, piss, whine, moan".

I got an idea, just delete the classifieds period, hows that sound?

Last edited by 666; 05-12-2008 at 06:31 AM.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I would say I have to agree with both on this one.

I like the fact that a Mod has to approve the thread prior to seeing it, it helps if the thread isnt really 'legit' or sounds fishy.

I also dislike that we cant reply in threads, only because not every seller edits and/or deletes the thread they started. So I guess it's a great idea on both ends.
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
MODERHATER™

Anymore opinions? I am open to hear them.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I love how RCC regulates the classifieds. Personally, I think it is the best managed FREE classified section on any forum.

If you allow people to respond, it clutters up the thread. If you want to buy something, PM the person and handle it outside of the thread. Check the person's feedback in the feedback section before you even inquire about their item for sale. That is why the feedback section is there.

You have to take some responsiblity of the sale yourself. Mods don't get paid and are volunteering their free time to make this forum work as well as it does. Also take into account if the person has a high post count. If the post count is high, chances are good they are not out to screw you because it will have taken a while to get a high post count. So they must like the forum and would not want to jeopardize loosing the privilege to be here. Also ask the seller if he has more feedback on other web sites or forums. Does the person at least take the time to post pictures and give a decent description in the sale add. All of that can tell you whether the person cares about selling the item and at least you give you a clue to their character.

When I sell an item on RCC, I go back an edit the sale and post it sold to member name just like 666 already said. I leave the add up until the person has received the item. Once it's be received, I delete the thread entirely which is something you can't do if you have people responding to it (on most forums anyway).
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
MODERHATER™

Thank you once again Nova's Ark!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Nova's Ark - Well said. I agree with you on all points, I wouldnt recommend any kinda of change.
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I love how RCC regulates the classifieds. Personally, I think it is the best managed FREE classified section on any forum.

If you allow people to respond, it clutters up the thread. If you want to buy something, PM the person and handle it outside of the thread. Check the person's feedback in the feedback section before you even inquire about their item for sale. That is why the feedback section is there.

You have to take some responsiblity of the sale yourself. Mods don't get paid and are volunteering their free time to make this forum work as well as it does. Also take into account if the person has a high post count. If the post count is high, chances are good they are not out to screw you because it will have taken a while to get a high post count. So they must like the forum and would not want to jeopardize loosing the privilege to be here. Also ask the seller if he has more feedback on other web sites or forums. Does the person at least take the time to post pictures and give a decent description in the sale add. All of that can tell you whether the person cares about selling the item and at least you give you a clue to their character.

When I sell an item on RCC, I go back an edit the sale and post it sold to member name just like 666 already said. I leave the add up until the person has received the item. Once it's be received, I delete the thread entirely which is something you can't do if you have people responding to it (on most forums anyway).
DEAD ON !!!!!
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
MODERHATER™

155+ views and only 4 opinions, well I guess it's staying the same then.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

are the classifieds "picked through" before the public sees them?
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #11
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACCO View Post
are the classifieds "picked through" before the public sees them?
I and Eric view them before they are posted, I occasionally pick things up, is that what you mean?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I and Eric view them before they are posted, I occasionally pick things up, is that what you mean?

Kind of. I was wondering if the mods take their picks of stuff before it is posted for the general public. Not trying to start any crap, but if the threads were posted immediately, it would be fair game to all.

I understand that this wouldnt allow you guys to keep out the BS, and I dont wanna look at a bunch of crap posts all day, but maybe there is a better/more fair way of doing it?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Kind of. I was wondering if the mods take their picks of stuff before it is posted for the general public. Not trying to start any crap, but if the threads were posted immediately, it would be fair game to all.

I understand that this wouldnt allow you guys to keep out the BS, and I dont wanna look at a bunch of crap posts all day, but maybe there is a better/more fair way of doing it?
You really have to be kidding me, do you think we have all the money in the world to buy up the good stuff before it is posted? Fair game? I really do not understand where you are going with this.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:35 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Like I said, not trying to start any crap.

You dont know how much money all the other mods have, or intend to spend on stuff posted in the classifieds though.

Where I am trying to go with this? Nowhere. It doesnt matter. You have your opinions on how the classifieds should be handled, and that seems to be that. Right?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
MODERHATER™

If it makes you feel better, 95% of the time I am the first person viewing any of the adds. And 98% of the time I look to see if it is following the set guidlines and then I approve it. If I do snag something up, I approve it, then I PM the person selling, they have the choice if they want to sell it.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #16
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
You really have to be kidding me, do you think we have all the money in the world to buy up the good stuff before it is posted? Fair game? I really do not understand where you are going with this.
I totally agree with 666 on this. Can the mods not get any respect or kick backs? I mean they do volunteer their time and put up with a ton crap (like this thread for instance) for FREE. So what, a couple guys view the classifieds before any body else. This is RC CRAWLER parts, not insider stock market tips. Give me a break.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I appreciate you guys getting rid of all the BS threads with no price, letting the seller know something isnt listed quite right in their ad, etc.

Our classifieds section is much cleaner, easier to browse, and more straightforward than many other boards.

Keep up the good work

Nova, being a mod isnt a job, it is a privilege.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #18
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

sure seems like work to me!

I have secretely been buying up all of the used brushless motors before anybody can get them! All mine, mine I tell you!!!

I personally like the way that the section is dealt with. After going to other boards it is really hard to wade through stuff, and the constant bumping just adds more complication and fluff to the forum. I feel that even if people could post up in the threads there would still be instances where people get ripped off, it isn't something that can be 100% stamped out.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 05-12-2008 at 08:57 PM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #19
MODERHATER™

In order to keep this site running smoothly, it IS work.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #20
I joined the Band!

I like that it has to be pre-approved as well. I deffinatly wouldnt change that, but I deffinatly think that a person should be able to post to ask questions, etc.. and like I said before, state you have boughten it.. I couldnt get ANY responce from this guy, so asking him to say its been sold wasnt possible. Also a scammer isnt gonna do this.. That defeats his whole plan of scamming. Keep in mind all 4 of us had "bought" this truck around the same time..

I see you point in some threads getting filled with mumbo jumbo but I think thats worth it compaired to to ANYONE getting scammed. I understand mods dont get paid to do this. I personally would be more than willing to be a mod of just the for sale section if this change approved.

I just dont want the problem I had to happen to anyone else. Thats the only reason why I made this thread. I was lucky enough to get my item (trashed) because I had a good strict cop. Others aint so lucky and I know the guy who scammed me owes around to $1,000 to 4 members on this board ALONE. (Combined)
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote