Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

Thread: sub forum sections suggestion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default sub forum sections suggestion

My suggestion is possibly making a sub forum for each of the vehicles section. One section would be for custon built cars that the main chunk is from scratch or otherwise, as well as cars that are prototypes and are still in the works. The other section would be for cars that are well established ie: in full production and wide spread. The idea behind this would be that if some one wanted to get a new idea for a car or enjoys building things instead of buying them, said person can go to that forum sub-forum to see something fresh and new. While the guy looking for a set up thats proven and wants to just get a nice car going with out the hassle of set up and experimenting can go to the sub-forum of well established chassis's and such.

I personally do 2.2 cars but i like making things on my own. Not so much buying off the shelf items. So going through the 2.2 section all i see is "custom berg" or "axial comp" and what they end up being is another swx or zero etc. Both those chassis are extrememly nice and work extrememly well and i've driven some of them. But they're just another build. I can make the exact same thing if i pull my credit card out. it'll work.. but it's not anything unique. Also having the two sections would give companies debuing new platforms and prototypes that they are doing work on a place to segregate from the rest of the crowd. Allowing them to not get lost in the massive amounts of posts.

just my .02

thanks for listening,
jared
racer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Sub forums are overated....We have a section for that stuff already.....http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
Sub forums are overated....We have a section for that stuff already.....http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10
How is that a section for that stuff? It seems to be a melting pot for everything and anything.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer22
How is that a section for that stuff? It seems to be a melting pot for everything and anything.

"General" means anything generally crawler related. It's always been where "custom" builds are put.

Typically,rigs are based off the axles used. Custom axles....goes in General. Custom tranny/chassis or whatever that uses Axial axles....goes in the Axial section.

If it's scale,put it in scale. Be careful though,Mikes a scale nazi. If it ain't scale,he'll move it.

If it's a basher,put it in the non crawler rc's section.

Under your description.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer22
One section would be for custon built cars that the main chunk is from scratch or otherwise, as well as cars that are prototypes and are still in the works.
Would General be better suited since these builds you speak of are pretty much a "melting pot" of material,parts and such?
Old 03-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
"General" means anything generally crawler related. It's always been where "custom" builds are put.

Typically,rigs are based off the axles used. Custom axles....goes in General. Custom tranny/chassis or whatever that uses Axial axles....goes in the Axial section.

If it's scale,put it in scale. Be careful though,Mikes a scale nazi. If it ain't scale,he'll move it.

If it's a basher,put it in the non crawler rc's section.

Under your description.....

Would General be better suited since these builds you speak of are pretty much a "melting pot" of material,parts and such?
ok. i wasn't clear then. when isaid custom i was thinking the chassis and design more than the axles and tranny. when i said custom i meant builds like this: My next project

or War Pigs scale tow truck

building axles from scratch is a pain and not really cost efficient (i've made the cad parts but machine time is expensive and hard to come by)
Old 03-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Your first link is properly placed in General. If Brent used TLT axles,it'd have driveshafts and could be placed in scale. No driveshafts,so it's not scale. Therefore,it's just a general build.

Your second link is DEFINITELY scale,one of the better builds to date IMO. It's properly placed in the scale forum.

Anytime you build custom,in any hobby,it's expensive...I know this. There's only a handful of guys here that truly get custom with their builds. Like custom axles and everything else. They either have the access to machine time or they have a ton of cash. I work at a machine shop and we've got the machines to build dang near anything I could dream up. Getting the free machine time is hard to do,finding free time from everything else in life is even harder to do. Therefore I just build little custom parts I need on the old manual machines as they are rarely tied up.

Point being,there's not enough "custom" builds like your refering to to grant a whole sub forum. General crawlers is pleanty of room for these builds.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #7

I agree. I think there should be a seperate section of custom frames and chassis. Its nice to see other peoples ideas and creations than the same old chassis that anybody can buy off the internet..
fasst-novak is offline   Reply With Quote