Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

Thread: lets make it easier for the newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Old guy

Default lets make it easier for the newbie

What do you think about making a sticky thread in each section for questions. Like in the berg section there's 4 or 5 threads of newbes with questions, that if they would search and read a little they would learn something. It just seems lazy to me. Junks up and knocks all the build threads down. You go there to see builds not a bunch of threads with questions.

It would be a place to move those none tech threads. FAQ
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Built, not bought

They'd probably be too lazy to read the sticky.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62PYRO View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking....

If they are too lazy to search, they'd be too lazy to read the sticky...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62PYRO View Post
They could search it, The Mods could have a place to throw the question threads. There's one guy has got 3 threads started in there for questions. It just seems to make a mess of it.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking....

If they are too lazy to search, they'd be too lazy to read the sticky...
Maybe if we delete their thread and then when they ask why we could tell them.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
Old guy

Right now there are 7 threads in the berg section that are just questions. I think it just junks things up.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You are right....it does!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
Maybe if we delete their thread and then when they ask why we could tell them.
I was thinking that, too; but that would require another messy thread for them to ask!

Too bad there couldn't be a mandatory "quiz" that must be passed, 100%, before account activation can take place - that'd weed out some lazies!

In my opinion, though, specific questions should be asked in specific sub-forums...but, yes, those "search and easily find the answer" questions do often muck things up.

Last edited by JeepinOR; 05-30-2009 at 12:49 PM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

What about the lazy ass people who start a thread on a project they are talking about doing & never update it? I think useless threads that are more than 2 months old should be deleted:?

Last edited by highhpcummins; 05-30-2009 at 02:05 PM.
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by highhpcummins View Post
What about the lazy ass people who start a thread on a project they are talking about doing & never update it? I think useless threads that are more than 2 months old should be deleted:?
You mean the guy who make a list of parts he should buy or not. Thats the same as the question thread.

If you are talking about a guy who really starts something and never finish it. It will disappear by its self. But if some is searching for something that same thread might have what he is looking for.

I have search stuff to find that more than half the threads that came up were the same question I was searching for not the answer.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
MODERHATER™

Then there is the people who bitch and complain and start a thread whining and bitching when they could take a few minutes out of their life and be helpfull.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Then there is the people who bitch and complain and start a thread whining and bitching when they could take a few minutes out of their life and be helpfull.
Sorry Boss, you don't like me do you.
Delete this thread then and I'll shout up.

Last edited by ROCKEDUP RICKY; 05-30-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Sorry Boss, you don't like me do you.

It's not that but what you are are saying. We are all in this together, those of that have some knowledge should help the one's asking. Maybe perhaps you might know something that could help the blokes out? New people that get shunned down for being new, because they don't know whats best, pick your brains for knowledge. Then they get called dumbasses or lazy asses....... would you like being treated like that if you were new? Would you keep interest in crawling? The crawling crowd has always been known (to me anyways) to be helpful, friendly, tightknit group of people always willing to help one another out. Main reason why I like you guys so much is the racing crowd/side of r/c has always been a bunch of jerks, do we want to become that?

Does it look good to your sponsors to react in a way like that? I know if I was sponsoring someone that down talked people alot I wouldn't think of them as much of a asset.

Rant of the day off.

Last edited by 666; 05-30-2009 at 03:50 PM.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
Suck it up!

Thought I'd chime in 'cause I'm bored.

I see both sides...but RUR makes a good point. You can only see so many "How do I..." threads that are all the same subject before you start to get annoyed. Especially when its obvious that they didn't search at all. I don't get to the Berg section very often (at all...lol), but I see the same situation in the noob and general areas. Same question over and over and over. It does get old. Its like someone coming up to you and asking "Wheres my ass?" when they obviously haven't taken the time to feel around a bit...

Now, if that person that put up that post has read up on the subject and can't get his head wrapped around something, thats different. There is so much info on this site that it is easy to get twisted up untill you are no better off than when you started. I have no problem giving an assist to those people if I am able.

I'm a big fan of the "wait 10 days before you can post" thing for new signups. That forces them to read and search for the answers to their questions. Within that 10 day period, the search button should at all times take up the lower 1/3 of the screen.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
Holmes Hobbies

I can remember when I got interested in crawling and asked a question.I'm glad they didn't have this attitude,I might have just stay with the racing jerks.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Its simple if you know he answer the the persons question answer it if not move on you dont have to take the time to stop and read the post/thread if you dont want to, there are those of us that will help some one learn thats what will progress this hobby futher and get more "bigger" companies involved its only time before companies like associated and hpi to put out full comp ready or scale rigs on the market If we as the hobbiest dont help to progress the hobby and make more newbies interested in the hobby companies will have no reason to give us new and better products, im the kind of guy that will let someone drive my $1600 comp rig and one of my custom built scale jeep tubers to see what style they like better
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
Suck it up!

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You mean the guy who make a list of parts he should buy or not. Thats the same as the question thread.

If you are talking about a guy who really starts something and never finish it. It will disappear by its self. But if some is searching for something that same thread might have what he is looking for.

I have search stuff to find that more than half the threads that came up were the same question I was searching for not the answer.
an example would be a guy posting in the 2.2 scale thread telling us what his plans are & that's as far as it gets.
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #19

Let's see if I can post. I think post is on the same line as a newbie asking "how do I", "which one" and "why fors". I have lost track of how many post I have - read at, concerning - why is it glitching, which motor, which battery, what gears, what tires, which do I buy - and lastly threads blasting the laziness of newbies not using the "search function" or their heads.

I am reluctanly new to rock crawling, as for medical and logistical reasons I cannot pursue my interest in oval, dirt oval and off-road racing. With a need for something to do, I chose to get into this part of the hobby.

You folks here have were instrumental in my choice for my first Crawler, and AX-10 kit with a Novak Goat. Maybe not the best, but definitely not the worst. BTW I read all the "Stickies" first. But first thing to hit me was the terminology and semantics, and based on my previous RC background, I was a bit confused. But by using my head for something other than a hat rack, I was able to think it out.

One of my first "duh moments" was a thread concerning "pinion angle". With over a decade of dealing with XXX's, B3's, B4's, GT3's, TC3's, Terminator, Intimadator, Enforcer, Legends, Associated, Losi, Kranzel and CW's (to name a few) I knew where the pinion was, but to set the angle? Duh on my part, ring and pinion! I get it now!

I have had a few "duh moments", the one I am having the past week is when does a "berg" stop being a "berg", and AX-10 stop being a Scorpion and become a "black widow", SW, X-Trail and a "clod buster" plus "tuber" is it still a Tamiya?

I am slowly getting the slang, but have you tried the "search" yourself, wow, 10 pages on "torque roll" and another 9 pages on "torque twist". That requires hours of reading plus 11 pages on gearing, tires, batteries. So instead of reading through all the BS of all the "old hands", "can't wait to get one", "when are they going to be on sales", "that is sick". I check the "new post" search and get another 2- 9 pages of the same questions and comments from everybody!

So get past the bitching, post something more useful than "Novak Rules", "lets GTG (is that it) and go to Black Butte". I enjoy the hobby, looking at picks and reading the "build threads" and the innovations and talents of the few, those are helpful.

Again, thanks to all of you that have helped me! Those of you that don't what to deal with my dumb questions, just skip over my post as I do yours. We will all be fine and have a hobby we all can improve ourselves and enjoy.

Thank you, my soap box is schedule to be converter to a gravity racer and I will post pics and a how to's in "Non-Crawler RC's"!
Rick Findley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #20
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
It's not that but what you are are saying. We are all in this together, those of that have some knowledge should help the one's asking. Maybe perhaps you might know something that could help the blokes out? New people that get shunned down for being new, because they don't know whats best, pick your brains for knowledge. Then they get called dumbasses or lazy asses....... would you like being treated like that if you were new? Would you keep interest in crawling? The crawling crowd has always been known (to me anyways) to be helpful, friendly, tightknit group of people always willing to help one another out. Main reason why I like you guys so much is the racing crowd/side of r/c has always been a bunch of jerks, do we want to become that?

Does it look good to your sponsors to react in a way like that? I know if I was sponsoring someone that down talked people alot I wouldn't think of them as much of a asset.

Rant of the day off.
I didn't go on any thread and call any body names. I just thought it would be a good thing to have a FAQ thread in the sections to put their threads in so they would have a place to search. You don't even know how much I help others and do to promote the sport.
And when I was new I searched and read a long time before I started a thread.