Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

Thread: Full Native support for Iphone on RCC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Full Native support for Iphone on RCC

I just installed an unbelievably cool mod on my vbulletin board for our club. It's called 'Tapatalk'. What it does is allow the iphone to display bulletin boards in the native style that the iphone menu's are displayed in. Which, for a board this huge, makes it EXTREMELY nice to be able to visit threads and not have to zoom/scroll, zoom/scroll...

The app to be able to utilize that mod is now in the app store, and currently available to only the US. There is a second release on the way that is going to support all markets, it has already been submitted to apple evidently for approval. The only downside for end users is that the app costs $2.99, but, it's completely worth it I think.

Installation of the board mod takes as long as logging into the ftp client you all use, and uploading one folder to your root directory of the board. That's it, no integrating mods etc. Just upload the folder and then register your forum on their website to allow it to be published, and that's all there is to it. Completely free from RCC's standpoint. I installed it on my board from start to finish on our board in about 4-5 mins. Here are some pics of it as it shows up on the Iphone on our board:

Pictures that are within posts translate great too:

HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

I'll look into that, need to see how secure the mod is.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Will that work on my cell phone??
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I'll look into that, need to see how secure the mod is.
There is one security flaw currently in the software, they have fixed it and included it in the pending release of the next version. One thing I have noticed is that in this version, there is an absence of being able to access PM's, supposedly there is a fix in the works for that, admin and mod controls, etc. Check out their site, it's www.tapatalk.com I think that once they get it completely ironed out, it's going to be a very popular thing. May not reach the heights of Twitter etc, but it'll be really useful.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post

Ummm... Sure, you just have to buy the iphone from apple and lay it on top of that phone
Old 06-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
There is one security flaw currently in the software, they have fixed it and included it in the pending release of the next version. One thing I have noticed is that in this version, there is an absence of being able to access PM's, supposedly there is a fix in the works for that, admin and mod controls, etc. Check out their site, it's www.tapatalk.com I think that once they get it completely ironed out, it's going to be a very popular thing. May not reach the heights of Twitter etc, but it'll be really useful.
I am most concerned with security and permissions required to run it. I went to their site and could not find anything that went into detail of the server side permissions and how they "inherits all of your forum security policies". I also read some posts on their forum about the current version not working well with large boards, RCC is definitely a large board. Maybe I'll test it out on RCShortCourse.

Where are you seeing the security flaws and new release details?

Last edited by badger; 06-25-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ummm... Sure, you just have to buy the iphone from apple and lay it on top of that phone
That sounds good. What are they? $5?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

That info was in an email they sent me where I signed up for updates on the release of the app. The entire email won't fit on here, but I printed it as a pdf and pm'd you the link to where I have it posted.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post

Don't let them lie to you Jeremy that phone will definitely work.
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
On the lookout for Rocks

Has this been looked into any further.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Any updates on this?
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

These would be pretty nice. I just checked on my android market and I have it as well. Just downloaded the Free one to try out.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
RCC Addict

any updates?

just bought the app yesterday via android marketplace only to find out that rcc isnt on the forum list
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #14

I just got the app for one of my other forums I frequent. I like it a lot. Was wondering if it was on here yet too?
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #15

Quote:
I am most concerned with security and permissions required to run it. I went to their site and could not find anything that went into detail of the server side permissions and how they "inherits all of your forum security policies". I also read some posts on their forum about the current version not working well with large boards, RCC is definitely a large board. Maybe I'll test it out on RCShortCourse.

Where are you seeing the security flaws and new release details?
I still haven't seen any answers to my above questions.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #16
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
I still haven't seen any answers to my above questions.

http://tapatalk.com/plugin.php

Quote:
Q: How does the Tapatalk Plug-in work with my forum system security?
A: The Plugin is designed to inherit all security policies from your forum system. For example, if a specific sub-forum is a restricted access, the Tapatalk iPhone client would not be able to access it unless the logging member has the authority to access it.

I installed it on our clubs vB board Im building. When I dont log in I can only see the public stuff. As soon as I log in through the app I can see all my private, team and admin areas.

Hope that helps.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

To add to what Robbob posted, here are a couple of posts from their community site:

Quote:

Tapatalk is no less secure than VB since it relies on vb's database for user login and usergroup permissions. If your forum is open (not an https) on the web then what you have is an alternative way to access your forum using a mobile devices. As for replication, that depends on your usergroup permission as Tapatalk just points the interface to the address and again permissions would allow for viewing of the forum structure. If you have a federal maintained system then you may have to check if the adaptation is approved per compliance regulations dealing with the security level of information that has the ability to be accessed but I would assume since you are using VB that issue is mute. Our example is that we do not use vb at all in our main office due to patient privacy concerns nor is any patient information transmitted because of the open connection to the www that is VB (the whole point for what it was designed).
Quote:
What Tapatalk doing here is just a bridge for native app accessing your forum. We do not store any user information including user id, password, the thread content etc are all direct communication between the mobile device and your forum.
Taken from here:

http://tapa.tk/forum/showthread.php?...light=security

Alternatively, if you want to look into a VB produced mobile app, they released one not long ago. Supposedly early this year you will be able to have them re-brand it for you at a cost. If you have an iphone you can download the app for free currently and check out the interface viewing just the vbulletin.org forum.

Last edited by HomerJ; 01-04-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #18
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Alternatively, if you want to look into a VB produced mobile app, they released one not long ago. Supposedly early this year you will be able to have them re-brand it for you at a cost. If you have an iphone you can download the app for free currently and check out the interface viewing just the vbulletin.org forum.

You talking about ForumRunner?
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=240799

Quote:
Native Android/iPad/iPhone support
iOS 4 multitasking support
Browse your favorite forums in an easy-to-use-interface with multiple notification types (private message, subscription, etc)
Fully customizable home screen with your favorite forums
FREE PUSH NOTIFICATION SUPPORT : Get private message and subscribed thread updates from your favorite forums in the background!
Poll updates (private messages/subscriptions) from favorites on home screen - shows you a summary of which forums you have new messages or subscriptions on!
Graphical display of polls - view results and vote on polls
Moderation tools for your moderators/admins (close/open thread, stick/unstick thread, move thread, delete posts, etc)
Image attachment thumbnail and full size viewing from threads
View a thread's image attachments in one convenient screen (much like the native iPhone "Photo" app)
Save thread images to your iPhone/iPod touch library
Fully searchable forums!
Multi-quote support
View embedded links without leaving the app, including YouTube videos
Supports portrait AND landscape mode
Full posting options (quote posts, start new thread, etc)
Attach unlimited photos from your library (or take a photo from the camera and attach it)
Full support for private messages and private message folders
Full support for thread subscriptions - track your favorite threads and be updated via push when they have new posts!
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
This one:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entry...e-iTunes-store
Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #20

Quote:
To add to what Robbob posted, here are a couple of posts from their community site:

Taken from here:

http://tapa.tk/forum/showthread.php?...light=security

Thanks, I'll look into tapatalk again.

Yeah can you believe those idiots at VB released an app that ONLY is capable of viewing their VB site? Who visits VB's forum for pleasure? I know the only time I am on VB's forum is if I am having issues and that would be on my PC so I can implement any fixes I find onto my site, why in the hell would I do searches on my iPhone only to have to do the same search again on my PC to actually fix the issue? Makes no sense to me.

It is good to know they are thinking about re-branding it for other sites, that I would pay for.