Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

Thread: Build Threads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Build Threads

I have a question for everyone regarding build threads. This is due to what I've seen in the Axial based forums, since that's what I run.

I was reading someone's build thread, and the first post was a nice stock build. But, without delay, it immediately went on for an endless stream of upgrades, not the least of which was switching to a bodiless chassis. By the end of the thread, the only stock items, as best I could tell, were the axel housings, rear axel, and that was about it.

With companies like VP making upgraded motor plates, bushings, gears and even a tranny cover for the XR, in the end of the day, it's sort of a shame to refer to the truck as an Axial XR-10.

I'm equally guilty with my AX build, but of course, major mods to that were essential just to be locally competitive.

I find it interesting to read these threads, and see what selection of upgrades people are selecting. But not everyone here has the budget to throw at the project like some people do, and for those who just want to just 4 link an AX, reading chassis rebuilds doesn't necessarily help.

So, to make a long story short, should we consider making sub-forums under the major manufacturers, for key chassis manufacturers users to post their builds? For example, under the Axial AX-10 forum, their would be a sub-forum for Underground Crawlers F, FF, and Fastback series chassis upgrades.

Thoughts?
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I like it the way it is.
F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

There is already a great way to do this: It's called the "search function".
It's not intended to be a slam to the ones who don't know how to use it, but reading is manditory to pass school, it should be manditory here IF you want to find the answer. Seeing other builds also breeds creativity.

Just because we have the internet, doesn't mean we need the answers handed to us with out some form of personal investment. That's just my .02 Flame away if you must.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I don't know if different sub-forums are warranted or not, but I get your drift.

There's a point when a Axial/Venom/Losi/whatever truck simply can not be called a Axial/Venom/Losi/whatever truck anymore - when exactly that is I'm still not sure though...
Maxx_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
cherry bomb

its fine the way it is, the forum is already a mile long, dont want to overwhelm new comers with 1500 sub forums.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
There is already a great way to do this: It's called the "search function".
It's not intended to be a slam to the ones who don't know how to use it, but reading is manditory to pass school, it should be manditory here IF you want to find the answer. Seeing other builds also breeds creativity.

Just because we have the internet, doesn't mean we need the answers handed to us with out some form of personal investment. That's just my .02 Flame away if you must.
I use the search function a fair bit. Search, however, doesn't really address the question I posed. The user pretty much has to go through every "XYZ's Build Thread" or "My Build Thread" to find out if it's a complete rework from the ground up, or if it is a fairly stock piece with some upgrades.

Yeah, I agree that there shouldn't be a problem with people taking the time to do some reading. But for the kid who got a Losi MRC for Christmas and has paper route money for a couple small upgrades, reading threads where people have sunk $100's into this platform aren't going to be of help.

I'm a middle of the road guy. I'm not making $2000 rigs, but I'm putting on more than just basic upgrades. It's obvious in many build threads that some people have the luxury of basically "money is no object". Good for them, and it's interesting to see what they come up with. I just think things could be more user friendly to the non-comper or casual users.

It was not intended to be an issue of making the manufacturer's chassis threads easier to find, as much as it would free up the main forum for generally stock builds without having to open and read a couple pages of every single build thread to see if it meets your needs. The sub-forum concept seems to work fine in the Competition and Regional sections of the board (as well as a couple others).

But, as was noted, there is already a quite long list of model specific forums.

It was just a thought.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Honestly I can understand where you are coming from but most of the information is easy to find with a little searching.

In most of the model specific forums there are numerous threads that read something like "I have $100 for upgrades what should I get" or "Must have upgrades". Most of them also have stickies detailing most of the upgrades for that particular model although some of them are a little out of date.

If you want to see builds with a particular chassis search for that chassis within the models forum, the first time do a title search and if you need more info do a search entire posts.

If you are really hurting for cash that much and you are a basher then I would just run it until you break something, upgrade and repeat. Also I would recommend meeting up with some other forum members in your area. They will be able to help you with particular setup information pertaining to your type of rock and someone will have tried just about every combo of parts and they will tell you what was worth it and what was not. Also who knows, they may have some second hand parts that you can get a good deal on.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

SMR 510RR, this idea was more for making things easier to newbies. I have no problem finding what I need. I'm not asking about this for myself, I'm just trying to make a suggestion to make things more user friendly to newbs.

Hey, I tried. Nevermind.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

You see it all the time in 1:1 also, someone builds a "Jeep" or a "Sami", etc, but at the end all that is OEM is a body panel or two, but they still call it a Jeep, or a Sami.

*shrug*
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I like the idea and totally dig the intention, but I see a lot of builds that start out one way then change directions mid-build. I think even if we did have subforums for specific chassis or axles/etc, we'd still see most builds get lumped into the general section.

Maybe a compromise would be something like a "directory" thread like bender started for aftermarket chassis in the ax10 section, where we could highlight particularly helpful or original builds w/ keywords for easier searching. Just a thought...
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I like your idea and respect where you are coming from, and great of you to think of the new guys('cause I'm one myself to all of this) and to make it easier for them...but......Being a moderator myself on a top 75 BB we get asked for sub forums on a weekly basis, and there usually different sub forums that are asked for each time. My point being is that if there was a sub forum created every time someone requested one, things would start to get out of hand and even more confusing than it was before and there would end up being 100's of "forums" to look in, and that means more bandwith and more time for moderators to try and keep things under control.

Again, I see where you are coming from, but I guess if you think your rig might end up not being a "stock" rig when you are done, there are always the "general discussion" forums. And, if you start out in one forum and your original design has changed drastically, I bet if you ask a mod real nice, they will move it to a more appropriate section for ya.

JM2C

HTH
0lllllll0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
cherry bomb

quoted from another build thread, i've always thought this way myself for RC crawler builds, usualy based off of the axles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I'll leave it if he wants...

On RCC, we do typically go by the axles.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

the only sub forum I want to see is one for suspension and driveline

theres general crawler and newbie stuff which form what i've seen blends together, theres electronics and tires and bodies but nothing for suspension or motor/tranny/axle etc.
m0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #14
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nster View Post
the only sub forum I want to see is one for suspension and driveline

theres general crawler and newbie stuff which form what i've seen blends together, theres electronics and tires and bodies but nothing for suspension or motor/tranny/axle etc.
Motor (see electronics)
tranny (see tranny manufacture section, IE axial tranny. AX10 or SCX10)
axles (see manufacture, IE berg axle, enroute berg section)

you'd think what would be common sence.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #15
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
SMR 510RR, this idea was more for making things easier to newbies. I have no problem finding what I need. I'm not asking about this for myself, I'm just trying to make a suggestion to make things more user friendly to newbs.

Hey, I tried. Nevermind.
I'm all for making the site easier for newbs, to a degree. But when newbs create the majority of the moderation work here because they don't take the time to read or search, I'm not going to create a bunch of sub forums that will make it even more difficult for my mods to do their jobs.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote